Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter King Monday Morning QB Quote...

Peter King Monday Morning QB Quote...

"I think this is the first time you could say this since Barry Sanders played: It must be fun to be a Lions fan!" Peter King 01/03/11
    I know I may have overdone this maybe a bit Richard Simmons-ish but I just can't help myself! How TRUE this is! Many here I'd imagine could care less about this quote. That being said, I can't remember the last time I enthusiastically read and re-posted a positive quote regarding the Lions from a national, highly regarded, NFL columnist! With the exception of getting HOSED at Chicago, this has been a VERY fun and exciting year with the exception of ONLY 3 games when we got spanked! HUGE improvement and he's 100% correct! Since the 'Barry days' nothing has felt even close to this exciting and even then, we pretty much only had Barry! Of course I think that Honolulu Blue #20 is the best RB ever & wish that he didn't retire after recording his 2nd BEST season. Having said that, even thru the Barry years, from top to bottom, the rest of the roster paled in comparison to what's goin' down now!

Make room on that bandwagon. The Lions will be the trendy pick to make the playoffs next year (see 2010 Houston Texans). They finally have a group of legitimate players. Suh is obviously a stud. Stafford looks good when he can stay healthy. Calvin Johnson, Jahvid Best. They are headed in the right direction and their '11 schedule isn't bad. But I'm still not picking them for the playoffs next year, at least not yet. Let's see what they do in the off season, they need to continue that string of good draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Make room on that bandwagon. The Lions will be the trendy pick to make the playoffs next year (see 2010 Houston Texans). They finally have a group of legitimate players. Suh is obviously a stud. Stafford looks good when he can stay healthy. Calvin Johnson, Jahvid Best. They are headed in the right direction and their '11 schedule isn't bad. But I'm still not picking them for the playoffs next year, at least not yet. Let's see what they do in the off season, they need to continue that string of good draft picks.
    Obviously I am WAY biased but I see them possibly making the playoffs next year. I say this with not just the Lions in mind. The Lions beat the Packers in Detroit and lost by just 2 points @Lambeau. They lost by 6 I think in NY to the Giants and simply did their 4th quarter meltdown vs. the Jets. What cost them at the beginning of this season was 4th quarter stupidity i.e. penalties AND their blatant inability to 'close'. At the end of the season they of course cured some of that, having won 4 in a row which is a major step for them. In my honest opinion I'm considering 2 of those 4 wins to have been credible. The win at Tampa when the Bucs were 9-5 and controlled their fate at THAT time. Also the win vs. the Vikes. in Det. solely because Favre did NOT play and QB's like Webb have historically wreaked havoc upon the Lions. This year Vick rushed for 35 yards against them. Overall they surrendered 100 yds. a game against the rush which ranks them 10th vs. the run. The D-line is one of the best and youngest in the league finishing 6th in sacks. All of our NFC North opponents need major offensive line changes as the Bears ranked 32nd, Packers 19th, Vikings 18th (the Lions offensive line ranked 6th but that's not where I'm heading). I'm pleased as the Lions offense is stacked across the board although I'd like another RB. We have exceptional depth at TE and WR and the #1's, Pettigrew and C.J. are among the league's best. What the Lions accomplished offensively, without the MOST important piece in place, is pretty phenomenal. In 2011, or 2012 if there's a lockout, with Stafford healthy and coming even close to performing at a 6TD to 1INT tune, they will put up even larger numbers .

Getting to your point as far as the draft goes, you are right on, Andy. Even though they ranked 16th vs. the pass, they need secondary help. The draft position of the Lions and their needs couldn't be set up any more perfect. Of the top 15 players coming out, only TWO are key offensive players with one of them being Andrew Luck who is 'on the fence' right now. The other is the WR A.J. Green from Georgia. So without even needing the overall #1 pick, they will still be able to acquire 1 of the 3 top ten OVERALL athletes in the draft. This year's draft has the oddity of 3 cornerbacks being ranked within the top 10. I'll HAPPILY welcome Patrick Peterson from LSU, Prince Amukamara from Nebraska(Suh has been hounding Martin Mayhew to draft him BTW) or Janoris Jenkins from the Gators. The Lions will be able to get one of those guys for sure and for the first time in a long time, we can watch others draft away as they are needing a little bit of everything.

Another thing I'm considering is their home schedule next year. THIS year against the NFC North at home we were 2-1 and the loss was by 4 points. On the road vs. the North we undeniably got HOSED week #1 @ Chicago(we lost that 'win' by 5 points), lost by 2pts. at Green Bay and by 14 at the Vikings. So three divisional road losses were by a combined total of 21 points. In 2011at home, we have the Chiefs, Chargers, Niners, Panthers and Falcons. Especially on the defensive side, the Lions can hang with those teams. Based upon this season past season, the Chargers and Falcons will present the toughest 'D' that the Lions will see at home. The toughest defensive team we faced this year was the Jets which we lost in OT by 3. Even though the Lions 'D' is good, that game isn't much to brag about considering how anemic the Jet offense was at that point. A good indication though was that Stafford threw for 240 yards and 2 TD's to 7 different receivers and Burelson catching for 113 yards. Why didn't we win with such lop-sided numbers? Classic, but hopefully behind them, Lion football, 11 penalties for 102 yards.

So yes, I agree 100% that the draft is vital! As for the playoffs, I see them as a possibility when factoring in the youth and maturation that they showed toward the end. The pattern has already begun of not committing stupid penalties, offensively being able to play FOUR quarters and the fact that we were taken down only ONCE, in a convincing manner, by a division
    opponent. ALL of which was accomplished WITHOUT our best player and true offensive leader!

A work stoppage would REALLY blow yet fit perfectly with the historical lack of luck. Sure, win four games in a row, two on the road and then not take another snap for almost 2 years.

In a division with the Packers and the resurgent Bears, a playoff berth is going to be hard to come by. But I am very encouraged by the *7-9 finish this year (yes, I am giving Detroit the week #1 Bears game and the Megatron catch).
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Chill out people. I speak from the full experience of all the William Clay years. We are probably in the lower part of the middle 1/3 of the league right now. We can move up or down this off-season.

Even back with Barry, we hovered around 8-8.

Let's see what we draft. I hope its a defense guy.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Chill out people. I speak from the full experience of all the William Clay years. We are probably in the lower part of the middle 1/3 of the league right now. We can move up or down this off-season.

Defensive back through the draft and a LB through free-agency. If I were a free agent LB, going to play behind that Lions D-line would be very, very tempting.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post

The voice of reason.

Having lived in and around Cincinnati most of my life, I am intimately familiar with the high expectations of a up and coming football team with more talent than wins. I also know that the Lions will be one the teams that every one of the 'experts' will tab as their surprise team of '11, and that rarely works out well (again, see the '10 Texans and 49ers). The Lions have a ton of young talent and are headed in the right direction. For the first time in a long time the playoffs aren't completely out of reach, but I wouldn't put a big deposit on those playoff tickets just yet.

Stafford looks good when he's on the field, but he spends too much time on the trainer's table. You aren't sniffing the post-season with another year of 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Same goes for Jahvid Best, he could be a superstar if he stays healthy, but that's a big if. I would bring in a Thomas Jones-type workhorse and limit Best's touches to 15-17/game. And obviously Ndamukong Suh needs to spend the off-season working with a kicking coach (a missed PAT is the only flaw I could find with Suh).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    And obviously Ndamukong Suh needs to spend the off-season working with a kicking coach (a missed PAT is the only flaw I could find with Suh).
    Really. Suh could be labeled a bust if he can't get that kicking leg straightened out. You should be embarrassed Detroit.

On a much much much much much much more serous note, I said back in week 2 or 3 (GoBig can back me up on this) I thought that the Lions scared me more than any of the other NFC North teams because of; (1) the coach mainly. The Schwartz could get those guys to run through a cement wall for him, (2) that D-Line will be concussion-tastic for years to come, (3) Shaun Hill may be the best backup QB in the NFL, and (4) Calvin. Johnson. Period.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

"(a missed PAT is the only flaw I could find with Suh)."

THAT'S funny! I've watched him mess around at the indoor facility in Allen Park and actually nail quite a few from 35-40 but never in a game.....YET! He was SO humiliated when he blew the extra point that I felt bad for him! It's like,"Suh, you do PLENTY already, don't beat yourself up, big man." After a few days he was able to laugh about it. Unfortunately, coming from a soccer family, he'll never hear the end of it as his 2 young nieces STILL tease the hell out of him. Suh's sister, along with her two girls, lives with him just outside the 'D' during the season & helps him handle his affairs. He jokingly refers to her as his 'human Post It' note. It's SO refreshing to have a guy on the team with such great character, solid family values and who exudes nothing but kindness to ANYONE he encounters(unless of course it's game time between the white lines and you're not wearing a Lion uniform). Talk about Jekyll and Hide!

Then you reflect back at some of previous personnel and think,"Are you kidding me?" Shaun Rogers for example, toting guns in airports, 'making it rain' in the clubs, etc. What's also very unfortunate in my opinion, is that I look at him as a 'What coulda' been?' I barely watched him at all this year but I'd imagine he's still somewhat effective. That cat was ferocious at times in 'D' but doesn't seem to have it in him to push himself GREAT which again, I think he could have been. Maybe he has changed in Cleveland as far as conditioning, behavior etc. I have no idea.
    Oh well, remnants of Hurricane Millen!

Blog Entries
    Where are the Lions picking this year? If it's top 10, you may be able to grab Prince A. (Nebraska) or Patrick Peterson (LSU).

But you stay away from AJ Green, damn it. At least we pick before you.
    @kocsan