Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expectations?

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA

Expectations?

So now that the great feeling of winning the super bowl has passed us (well..not all of us), what will our expectations be for next year? There is this weird feeling talking about this as a Saints fan because I've never been in this position. Realistically, do we look at NFC championship or bust? The top 2-3 seeds? NFC south champs? Back then we all used to say "super bowl" or at least a .500 season. What now?
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

RE: Expectations?

My thoughts and opinions:
    It's safe to say they are the favorite to take the NFC South. Atlanta is the only competition there, and they are too inconsistent to challenge. As long as the Saints don't fall into the lull of past Super Bowl champs, it's reasonable to expect at least a 2-3 seed. One thing to be concerned about is the lack of depth at key positions. If Drew B. or Pierre T. goes down, it's slim pickings behind them. The backup QBs have zero experience, and Reggie Bush has still never proved he can be the #1 guy in the backfield. The lack of moves made in the off-season have me a little worried that the team has the possibility of being a "one and done", but damn was that one good.

I know this...as long as Drew Brees is healthy you have a puncher's chance in any game. I see no reason to lower your expectations. Defense should be firmer and as long as Brees is back there you are going to have to break 21 to have a shot to beat them. Cakalackie is right though...if Brees goes down...it could get real ugly
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

Is Drew Brees playing this year? If so they are the favorites to win the South. I really like the Falcons. Matt Ryan is a year old and coming into his own, Michael Turner should bounce back. But the Saints have to be the favorite. They aren't a team that struggled through the first 3 months of the season then got hot in December. Of the games they actually tried to win last year, they only lost once. I don't expect them to start 13-0, but 11.5 wins has to be the over/under.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Is Drew Brees playing this year? If so they are the favorites to win the South. I really like the Falcons. Matt Ryan is a year old and coming into his own, Michael Turner should bounce back. But the Saints have to be the favorite. They aren't a team that struggled through the first 3 months of the season then got hot in December. Of the games they actually tried to win last year, they only lost once. I don't expect them to start 13-0, but 11.5 wins has to be the over/under.
    I was going to actually say 10.5! Nice. I do agree with you, I'll take it that you mean the cowboys game? Even though we did lose that game, I just felt we made zero adjustments and did very little on offense. Everything was very simple and we still almost pulled it out.

I just think 10 will be great. We had a target on our back most of the season last year because we were undefeated but now we will have an even bigger one. I just hope that target isn't on Drew Brees' back!

Quote Originally Posted by Cakalackie View Post
    One thing to be concerned about is the lack of depth at key positions. If Drew B. or Pierre T. goes down, it's slim pickings behind them. The backup QBs have zero experience, and Reggie Bush has still never proved he can be the #1 guy in the backfield. The lack of moves made in the off-season have me a little worried that the team has the possibility of being a "one and done", but damn was that one good.
    The Saints actually have a wealth of talent at RB. Pierre Thomas, Lynell Hamilton, and Reggie Bush? Yes, it would hurt if P. Thomas goes down, but I think the Saints are in better positions than most teams in that regard.

The 'expectations' isuue is going to be an issue with most fans. But we need to separate expectations from the, "I will be miserable if we miss the playoffs" feeling. We SHOULD expect this team to repeat. Yeah I said it. They have the best QB/ Coach tandem in the league, one of the most explosive rb tandems in the league, and an improving defense. The only weakness the team really has is run stopping, and the explosive offense makes that weakness moot. So the answer is we should expect this team to win the division and compete for a championship, but if they don't we should get angry or go into blame mode because they have earned our benefit of the doubt.

I expect the Saints to make it to the playoffs by winning the division. I really don't expect them to be the #1 seed though. I think the Cowboys will probably have that spot. Maybe we can get a game up on them on Thanksgiving though.

I just really can't see the cowboys grabbing that #1 spot. You would think at least us (saints) or vikings...packers possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by MattBer2c View Post
    I expect the Saints to make it to the playoffs by winning the division. I really don't expect them to be the #1 seed though. I think the Cowboys will probably have that spot. Maybe we can get a game up on them on Thanksgiving though.
    There is no way the Cowboys are the #1 seed in that division there is no way they win more than 11 games and most years 11 games doesn't get you a #1 seed.....The saints have a better shot at the number one seed by virtue of playing in a weaker division they may split with Atlanta but should sweep the other serious against TB and Car
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."