View Poll Results: Who will win this game?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens

2 100.00%
  • Eastern Washington Eagles

0 0%

Thread: NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship - FINAL - Eastern Washington 20 Delaware 19

Blog Entries

NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship - FINAL - Eastern Washington 20 Delaware 19

Team Stat Comparison

Delaware
    E Washington
    1st Downs 26 20
    Total Yards 417 327
    Passing 220 302
    Rushing 197 25
    Penalties 1-5 3-25
    3rd Down Conversions 6-14 4-12
    4th Down Conversions 1-2 2-3
    Turnovers 1 1
    Possession 33:41 26:19
    Passing Leaders
    Delaware C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
    Devlin 22/34 220 6.5 0 1
    Eastern Washington C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
    Mitchell 29/43 302 7.0 3 1
    Rushing Leaders
    Delaware CAR YDS AVG TD LG
    Pierce 28 142 5.1 1 17
    Hayes 10 38 3.8 1 9
    Eastern Washington CAR YDS AVG TD LG
    Brown 13 23 1.8 0 9
    Herd 1 9 9.0 0 9
    Receiving Leaders
    Delaware REC YDS AVG TD LG
    White 5 73 14.6 0 24
    Crosby 5 56 11.2 0 17
    Eastern Washington REC YDS AVG TD LG
    Edwards 6 74 12.3 1 31
    Brown 5 57 11.4 0 35
    Scoring Summary
    FIRST QUARTER DEL EWU
    TD 05:14 Andrew Pierce 3 Yd Run (Pat Failed) 6 0
    SECOND QUARTER DEL EWU
    FG 12:29 Mike Perry 21 Yd 9 0
    FG 06:46 Mike Perry 33 Yd 12 0
    THIRD QUARTER DEL EWU
    TD 07:12 David Hayes 1 Yd Run (Mike Perry Kick) 19 0
    TD 01:48 Brandon Kaufman 22 Yd Pass From Bo Levi Mitchell (Two-Point Conversion Failed) 19 6
    FOURTH QUARTER DEL EWU
    TD 08:16 Nicholas Edwards 9 Yd Pass From Bo Levi Mitchell (Mike Jarrett Kick) 19 13
    TD 02:47 Brandon Kaufman 11 Yd Pass From Bo Levi Mitchell (Mike Jarrett Kick) 19 20

FRISCO, Texas -- Bo Levi Mitchell led three straight late touchdown drives, the finale coming with 2:47 left, leading Eastern Washington to a 20-19 victory over Delaware and its first FCS championship.

The Eagles (13-2) trailed 19-0 and had gained only 92 yards midway through the third quarter Saturday night. Facing the defense that gave up the fewest points per game in the FCS, their title hopes looked shot.

But Mitchell took them on drives of 80, 89 and 69 yards. He converted a fourth-and-8 on the second of those series and needed two video replays to uphold a fourth-and-1 conversion a few plays before the winning touchdown.

Delaware (12-3) -- with Vice President Joe Biden, an alum, watching five rows behind the team's bench -- had one last try, but turned the ball over on downs with 47 seconds left.

The Fighting Hens were looking for their second title in eight years. Instead, they've lost their second straight trip to the finals; it also happened in 2007 with Ravens star Joe Flacco at quarterback.

Mitchell, who started his college career at nearby SMU and is from the Houston area, was 29 of 43 for 302 yards. He truly led the way as the Eagles hardly ran the ball during their stunning comeback.

Brandon Kaufman caught nine passes for 120 yards and two touchdowns. His nifty grab of an 11-yarder in the back of the end zone was the title-winner.

Nicholas Edwards had six catches for 74 yards and the other touchdown.

Delaware was in control from the start, scoring a touchdown on its first drive and following with field goals on its next two series. Mixing runs and passes, the Blue Hens had 230 yards by halftime. They led 19-0 following another touchdown early in the third quarter, following an exchange of interceptions.

Conventional wisdom was that Delaware's size would have worn down Eastern Washington. The Eagles were shut out at halftime for the first time all season and couldn't run or pass.

But the roles reversed. The Blue Hens weren't as successful running and got out of synch passing, especially with Renard Williams and David Gaylord pressuring Delaware's Pat Devlin.

Devlin finished 22 of 34 for 220 yards. He also threw just his third interception of the year. It didn't hurt, though, as Mitchell threw his only interception a few snaps later.

The Football Championship Subdivision is the highest level of college football with a playoff. Eastern Washington finished the regular season at No. 1 and Delaware was No. 5; however, the Blue Hens had been No. 1 before losing their final game of the regular season.

The game drew 13,027 fans to this suburb north of Dallas. This is the first of a three-year commitment to Frisco after 13 straight years in Chattanooga, Tenn.

NCAA President Mark Emmert attended the game. A former chancellor at LSU, he said before the game that he would resist any urge of heading to Cowboys Stadium to watch the Tigers play Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl.

All stats and information taken from ESPN.com and the AP. They are not original works of this user.
    Last edited by FessJL0861; 01-07-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I would guess Ravens fans would flock to the Blue Hens sidelines in this one. I would...
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    It's Pat Devlin time!! Delaware grows it's legacy as a QB factory.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Delaware grows it's legacy as a QB factory.
    I think that comment goes right beside mine when I said that, "Tim Tebow won the FPLII Championship game for me this year".

Blog Entries
    You know what's funny? This thread has gotten more views in less than 5 hours than all but 8 other bowl threads. Most of those were BCS games. If that isn't a call for a championship game, I don't know what is.

Plus, here is a link for the live broadcast: http://espn.go.com/espn3/index?gameI...&league=ncaaf#
    Last edited by FessJL0861; 01-07-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Delaware is an ugly place. I enjoyed my time in eastern Washington.

Therefore - go Fighting Douchebags or whatever they're called.

Eagles...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post

go Fighting Douchebags or whatever they're called.
    You are thinking about the South Harmon Institute of Technology. Better know as the S.H.I...... awe, you know who they are.

Blog Entries
    The Eagles are national champs. Congrats I-AA, you know how to put on a show.