Thread: Is This The Next Bill Walsh?

Is This The Next Bill Walsh?

According to PFT, Rams OC Pat Shurmur looks like the next coach in Cleveland.

The story ended with this bit of optimism...

Shurmur called plays for a St. Louis offense in 2010 that ranked 25th in yards per game. Running back Steven Jackson averaged a career-low 3.76 yards per carry, and quarterback Sam Bradford ranked 30th in yards per pass attempt.
    I realize that even these bad numbers were an improvement in St. Louis. and hey, better than Mike Mularkey.

Holmgren worked with daddy. General Manager Tom Heckert spent eight seasons with Shurmur in Philadelphia.

I think one of the things the Falcons have demonstrated is how important chemistry is in the front office. If the head coach and GM share a philosophy, the sum becomes greater than the parts. Maybe that's what Holmgren thinks he might have with Shurmur?

Can't be any worse than the Mangina.

Although I might have said the same thing about Crennell.

Joking aside, I feel good about this hire because unlike Mangini, Shurmur isn't arriving with a chip on his shoulder and the belief that he suddenly IS the Cleveland Browns. He has a steady hand in the front office to help him out and I get the feeling that he'll listen to Holmgren's input.

Must be a Friday - I feel optimistic about things!

The next Bill Walsh? No. Walsh was a long-time, successful OC in the NFL with head coaching experience in college. Shurmur was an offensive coordinator for 2 years, for a team that won 8 games and never finished above 26th in total offense or scoring. Depressed yet Browns fans? That's not to say he won't be a successful head coach, just that there's not much chance he (or anyone else) will be the next Bill Walsh. You can find better comparisons within your own division. Mike Tomlin was an NFL coach for 6 years, only 1 as a coordinator, with no head coaching experience at any level before becoming head coach of the Steelers. He's pretty good. John Harbaugh might be a more accurate comparison, complete with a family history of coaching and 10 years with the Eagles. If Pat Shurmur ends up being the next John Harbaugh Browns fans will be very happy. Of course he might be the next Josh McDaniels, what the hell do I know.

Blog Entries
    I think Chris Peterson is the only guy with a shot, though I'm about as well versed in college football as I am in vegetarianism (for background, I recently received gifts of 4 pounds of bacon, and a membership in the Bacon of the Month club form people who know me fairly well.)

On the bright side, some very successful coordinators who have gone on to be head coaches in recent years include: Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Brad Childress, Mike Nolan, and Scott Linehan. Not to say they won't one become great head coaches, but the jobs require different skills. Maybe he's got 'em. See: Mike Smith.

Andy - the title of the thread was meant as a joke.

Walsh obviously had few equals in the history of the game - only one of whom is coaching at the moment.

A more accurate thread title would have been something along the lines of - "Is this NOT the next Butch Davis".

I think comparisons on any level might end up being misleading. From my experience as a fan, the head coach is one of three or more major coaching positions, which need excellence at each position, but just as critically, need to be cohesive as a unit. (head coach, 2 coordinators and the position coach for those players with big expectations.) I will be interested in what the whole coaching team becomes after the dust settles, and as wxwax states, the chemistry between the front office and the head coach and coaching staff is crucial, no matter how good the head coach is, as Bill Bellichick has been proving ever since leaving the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    I think Chris Peterson is the only guy with a shot, though I'm about as well versed in college football as I am in vegetarianism (for background, I recently received gifts of 4 pounds of bacon, and a membership in the Bacon of the Month club form people who know me fairly well.)

On the bright side, some very successful coordinators who have gone on to be head coaches in recent years include: Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Brad Childress, Mike Nolan, and Scott Linehan. Not to say they won't one become great head coaches, but the jobs require different skills. Maybe he's got 'em. See: Mike Smith.
    The loss of Mike Smith in JAX was huge. They went from 'Hey, the Jags might be able to knock of the Colts' to just another team trying to find their way. What that guy did in Atlanta is super-impressive.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.