I was playing around with some numbers yesterday, and found something kind of interesting (and, if you're a Green Bay fan, a little depressing).

Since the NFL changed to its current format in 2002, there have been 32 divisional round playoff games. The home team (and therefore superior seed) is 20-12. #1 seeds are 11-5, while #2 seeds are 9-7. #3 seeds are 4-5 (which is irrelevant this week since both #3 seeds have been eliminated), #4 seeds are 2-7, #5 seeds are 3-4, and #6 seeds are 3-4.

The biggest indicator for predicting upsets in the divisional round seems to be margin of victory in the previous week's wild card game:

Margin of Victory 0-3 Points (i.e. Jets): 0-7, but the games are generally pretty close. 5 of the 7 losses were by exactly a field goal. Of course, the other two were double digit blowouts.

Margin of Victory 4-7 Points (i.e. Packers, Seahawks): 1-5, and most of the losses are by double digits. The lone victory was in 2008, when the #4 seed Cardinals beat the #2 seed Panthers by 20 points, thanks to an amazing meltdown by Jake Delhomme. This does not bode well for Packer or Seahawk fans. To add insult to injury to both squads, the lone loss that was less than double digits was in the 2003-04 playoffs, the infamous "4th & 26" game, which of course occurred the week after the slightly less infamous "We want the ball and we're gonna score" game.

Margin of Victory 8 Points or Greater (i.e. Ravens): 11-8. Interestingly enough, all 8 of the losses were by at least 13 points.

So, these numbers indicate that fans of the Patriots, Falcons, Bears, and Ravens will be happy on Monday.