Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will McNabb do this year with the Skins?

1. What will McNabb do this year with the Skins?

I'm a Redskins fan who is not all that excited about McNabb in DC. Though he is a better QB than Jason Campbell I don't think he'll be able to make much of an impact behind a weak offensive line and absolute junk all-round at wide receiver. His athleticism alone might get us 2 more wins, but that only gets us to 6.
    Hopefully the new coach will be smart and have the offense in 2 TE sets as much as possible. That's our only strong position.

Can anyone convince me that I'm wrong? I'd love to get a little optimistic.

Listen to Chris on the BS Report on ESPN.com from 2 JUL 10...he talks all about how he thinks McNabb was the best signing of the year. Should bring you in off the ledge. I for one think it'll go either way...I like McNabb a lot but the fact that no one was really that sad to see him go in Philly concerns me...makes me think he might have a little Tomlinson in him. Like on the surface he's this awesome dude but secretly he's a jerkoff or something.
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

McNabb is obviously an upgrade over Jason Campbell but I don't expect a lot out of him in his first year in Washington. That team looks very old and they have a shaky offensive line at best. I don't predict that adding up to success.

Too much gloom Wordsworth. J Brown is a huge acquistion. Pro Bowl player still just 29 who actually was scouted as a RT coming out into the draft b/c that's where they felt he was best. Reports are Trent looks good and is the right decision for the zone blocking scheme over Okung, but the crucial part of the J Brown deal is that even if Trent flops, you have a Pro Bowl caliber LT you just slide over. I think Hicks is more than serviceable at the guard spot, and Rabach has always been very solid at C.

As far as junk WR's... you couldn't ask for a QB who can make more out of less there than who you got. See my other post - 3 straight NFCCG's putting up monster numbers throwing to Stinky Pinky and Trash. Both were Redskins at one point, who would you rather have as a duo - who you got, or those two?

I will agree with you that McNabb can make something happen with relatively anyone at receiver. He did it in Philly for years.

I write this as an Eagles fan, so of course take everything with a grain of salt

Mcnabb will be good, he'll be a step up from Campbell (though I never thought he was that bad). That said, The Eagles have a very good track record of releasing aging vets at exactly the right time. Redskins fans will probably remember Jeremiah Trotter, but the list of beloved players let go includes Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Lito Sheppard, Duce Staley, etc. Very few Eagles stars manage to contribute when away from the team. Now Mcnabb is on a higher level than any of those guys, but the point remains. I just don't think the Birds let Mcnabb (especially in division) unless they're not too worried about what he can do anymore.

Anyway, he won't turn the ball over much, and he'll throw for 3000 yards and 20+ TDs. Also, barring injury he'll make the Pro Bowl (you guys are great voters, and for a better draft pick, you're going to have a lot of Philly fans voting for him too!)

I hope he does well this year, I was always a Mcnabb fan, I just wouldn't expect a huge year from him.

Good luck to you guys this year!

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Everyone should be worried about that O-line. The QB is the last thing to be worried about. We gave up Jamaal brown to yall. I'll say this, if that guy stays healthy, he could make the pro-bowl every year. The guy is simply a monster when healthy. Is there still talk about reunited Mcnabb and TO or is that just crazy talk? I personally think it would be a horrible decision.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

How come? Man can still play. If they're willing to play together (which accounts say they are) he would instantly upgrade that receiving corps. No locker room issues out of Buffalo; Shanahan is tough enough to respect and keep order. One of the things I've come to notice about the league is that the front offices operate like a bunch of little school girls. Constantly worrying about gossip, innuendo and social proof as validation for their decisions - "If no one else has brought him in for a workout, why should we?"

Conversely, if 12 teams expressed interest in Owens, other FO's would be all over it. Demand is artificially created or attrited even when the supply (in this case, Owens' ability to play) remains nearly constant. I believe this accounts for a fair percentage of cases where fans ask "If no signs him, there must be a reason" assuming most of the time it is because they know something we don't.
    Last edited by HiloVulcan; 07-13-2010 at 05:24 PM.

9. Don't jump the gun on those recievers Devin Thomas has had some good games. I have long thought that a change was needed in the WR receivers coach. Thomas has the talent, maybe Keenan McCardell can get him motivated and change his work habits. I also truly believe the O-line will be 100% better than last year. If we have any kind of running game, McNabb can do some good things.

10. John Clayton of ESPN says Shanahan officially said NO to TO in DC. Few! I don't think that would have worked out well at all.