Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer requests trade

1. Carson Palmer requests trade

ESPN's Mort says Carson Palmer will request a trade and if refused will contemplate retirement. Palmer is not a guy who makes rash statements. Obviously he is very frustrated with a 4-12 season that included 10 straight losses, with an NFL record 6 straight by a TD or less. No changes are on the horizon with the coaching staff or how the Bengals intend to do business, so he is looking to part ways. He could easily retire financially, probably already making more $$ than he ever thought he would. Is it an emotional reaction that will change over time? Does he mean business? He is watching a fellow USC QB Mark Sanchez go to 2 AFC Championships in his first 2 years. Big Ben is trying to go to his 3rd Super Bowl in his 7 years in the NFL. The Bengals have the 4th pick of the draft. Is there a QB worthy of that selection? There are teams in the NFL that would consider trading for Carson I'm sure. Big salary to add to your cap. Will there be a cap? If the owners lock the players out the doors shut on March 4th. Can you make any trades? Labor uncertainty becomes a factor. If you own the Bengals and your franchise QB says he wants out or will retire, what do you do?

2. What I would do with Carson??

Absolutely nothing... I hate it when players dictate they don't want to play for that team when they are under contract. They need to do Palmer like they did Chad Johnson. Play or get fined. But we are not trading you. If you retire, fine, you can't sign with another team till 2015 cause you are under contract till 2014. We draft a QB, and if you are not in camp or retire then you are now a backup till 2014. So shut up, and honor your contract.

He could always come to Buffalo and back up Fitzpatrick.

What a jagoff. His value in the league is somewhere between Vince Young and David Garrard. Which is to say average at best.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately for Carson, he isn't a Donovan-esque signing, nor is he anywhere close to who he was pre-Olehoffen. I hate it for him, but he really isn't in a place to dictate to anyone about what and where he wants to play. Sorry man. Deal with it.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

I don't think anything will happen. Mike Brown doesn't have a history of responding well to this type of request (Chad Ochocinco, Carl Pickens).

Blog Entries
    Me neither. A mutual parting of the ways would be good for both sides, but it won't happen. Especially with the possibility of a work stoppage nuclear meltdown.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

The way I see it, in order to make those types of demands you need to have some value, and Palmer doesn't. I don't foresee teams beating down the doors in Cincy to sign him. IMO he's one of the biggest under achievers in the league.
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

According to what I've read, he has 4 years and $50 million left on his contract, none of it guaranteed. If the Bengals traded or released him they could be looking at a $10 million cap hit, depending on when it is done and what happens with the new CBA, assuming there is a cap to hit. I'm guessing any trade would come with a contract renegotiation, I don't think anyone is going to pay Carson Palmer $50M over 4 years.

9. If a lockout occurs on March 4 which appears highly likely all operations shut down anyway....no trades, signings of free agents - nothing. Mike Brown heard his father Paul say many times....don't move a coach or player until you unless you have an equal or better option available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lapham View Post
    If a lockout occurs on March 4 which appears highly likely all operations shut down anyway....no trades, signings of free agents - nothing. Mike Brown heard his father Paul say many times....don't move a coach or player until you unless you have an equal or better option available.
    That could be the only lesson he learned from his father.