Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washed up RB's?

I think it's pretty clear in the modern NFL that only a very few running backs are effective past age 30. Thomas Jones is one of the only recent ones that come to mind, but he is a physical freak. Given the escalating salaries of QBs and WRs, expect continued reliance on platoons of younger backs (cannon fodder). Effective backs can be had in the 2nd and 3rd round and can be paid (relatively) cheaply. I'm not sure what the Jets are thinking with Tomlinson.

On a side note, rookie running backs shouldn't sign for more than four years on their rookie deals given their short shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by BearThruThickNThin View Post

On a side note, rookie running backs shouldn't sign for more than four years on their rookie deals given their short shelf life.
    I think you are going to see a lot of that coming soon. Chris Johnson wishes he had done it now...four years MAX, I think I'd want a two year with a couple years optioned or something
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

Running backs are used up until they are useless. Then they are released. Watching "Run, Ricky Run" pretty much tells the story of an NFL running back...... minus the pot
    [URL="http://www.reservationforsix.com"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="red"]www.reservationforsix.com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

Exactly..that doc is crazy by the way...even more crazy how he came back, on his own terms and has succeeded wildly in a reduced role
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

I can see a day though with modern supplements etc when we have a 50 yr old. kicker,how old was Morton Anderson when he finally retired?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz37 View Post
    What do you think Shanahan is planning to do with the amazing fantasy football lineup of RB's from 5 years ago?
    I think LJ might be able to pull something out here. He doesn't have all that many miles on him. Portis is probably done. One concussion too many. And fast Willie's not fast any more.
    I'd love to hear what you all think about this!
    Whoa, LJ doesn't have that many miles on him? Out of all three he is the running back with the MOST miles on him. They ran him into the ground in KC. Statistically once a RB reaches 400 carries in a season, unless it happens very early in his career, he is never the same. LJ exceeded that mark. Portis is the back I think has the best chance of still producing, and while Willie isn't rushing for 1,500+ yds a season anymore, he's a great change of pace speed back I'd like to have over almost 20 other teams.

Also with the improvements on the line and the new zone scheme that's created thousand yard rushers out of anybody with a pulse in the backfield in Denver (O.Gary comes to mind as a spectacular free agent flop with the Lions) you'll be more than fine with who you have.

One of the swiftest drop offs I've seen from an RB in awhile was Shaun Alexander. One year he was dropping TDs in the 20s, a year later he couldn't hit a hole to save his life.

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Looking at the list of RBs they have is like looking at your fantasy football team for the past 5 years. HA
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    ok lets talk about the REDSKINS RBs..not LT. I think shanahan has always proved that he can make anyone a GREAT running back. I think LJ will be that TD scorer while Willie has somewhat of a come back. But watch out for Keiland Williams out of LSU. The guy is a solid RB. I think shanahan will fall in love with him and make him the next RB to become solid under Shanahan. And I still have this belief that Clinton Portis will be solid. They will never have a tired RB thats for sure!

The problem is..the O-line is at serious question. Grabbing Jamaal Brown from my saints was a HUGE move. If that guy stays healthy, he really can be a BEAST! I'm looking forward to watching the skins this year. Especially since Mcnabb is going to be motivated to win some games to make the Eagles look silly.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
    I can see a day though with modern supplements etc when we have a 50 yr old. kicker,how old was Morton Anderson when he finally retired?
    Wow...in my head I was like "I wanna say 47"...technically he was 48, but never played that season ('08)
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions