Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick of Tim Tebow

Tebow and the Bible

Many people dislike Tebow because of his overt displays of belief. Whether or not you're a Christian, having a knowledge of the Biblical basis behind his actions can help one understand him better, and why he does the things he does.

The first thing that comes to mind is the so-called "Great Commission" which comes at the end of the Gospel of Matthew: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matt. 19-20)

So, as a Christian, Tebow definitely believes it is his job to take part in bringing others to his point of view in regards to God & Jesus. Similarly, there's the parable of the lamp under a bowl which appears in Matthew, Mark and Luke: "No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light." (Luke 11:33)

So, clearly in his actions Tebow may be trying to be that lamp on a stand and show his faith, rather than simply to have it and keep it to himself.

Now, that being said, there is also some scripture which might go against what he does and how he acts. Again in Matthew, Jesus says: "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I Say to you, they have received their reward." (Matt. 6:2)

Basically, the concept here is that there are a lot of people who want to appear righteous and holy in a public manner, so that they can gain the praises of men, rather than those of God. That praise of men is the "reward" he's talking about there.

So what's the difference?

Really, it's all about the heart. Does Tebow do these things to gain the praises of men? Or does he do them out of a true desire to serve his God? I don't know the young man, so I couldn't say.

FessJL--congratulations on being the first poster to use the term 'schadenfreude' on FPL. I understand what you are saying.

However--and it seems I am in the minority--I wholeheartedly root for Tim Tebow, despite having no interest in the Florida Gators or his particular religious views. So often athletes are told to bottle their views and straddle the politically-correct center line, assuming a business-like mentality. They are told not to express political views or causes, and they waste the platform they have to tell the world how they feel.

With Tim Tebow, not only does he talk the talk, he truly walks the walk. Story after story affirms this, and I am beyond a significant doubt that he truly is a genuine, caring person. I'm not saying we all should be like him--I know I'm not--but I respect the passion he has for his faith and life. It is refreshing to see someone use their athletic platform to promote a positive message that they believe in.

So while I can't stand the Broncos, I have to root for Tebow.
    “There is an old saying about the strength of the wolf is the pack, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. On a football team, it's not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.”--Bill Belichick

Blog Entries
    Again I think we all do. Until he slugs a bouncer in a Dallas strip club @ 0340 a.m. on a weeknight.

Also, do I get bonus points for proper schadenfraude usage as well?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

The tough part is pronouncing it correctly--so I can't really award a lot of points...
    “There is an old saying about the strength of the wolf is the pack, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. On a football team, it's not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.”--Bill Belichick

I loved it when Denver picked Tebow. Bronco fans thought we finally found our new franchise QB after Elway retired when Cutler was tearing it up in his third year but the he bailed on the team. I think most Denver fans just really want Tebow to be good so we don't feel like we lost out on Cutler. And who wouldn't want Tebow to succeed? Great player in college but an even greater person. I don't know anybody who doesn't like Tim Tebow except fans for the colleges in the SEC that he beat up on for 4 years.

6. From a pure football standpoint...

The thing that would worry me about him is that his conversion from a college-system QB to a pro-style prospect could be almost entirely hype. He had an awful Senior Bowl and then all of a sudden six weeks later multiple teams are in love with him? I'm skeptical about that quick of a conversion, no matter how high the intangibles are. He was not a very accurate college passer and unless that improves, I don't think he's going to translate. Of course, he played against some pretty fast and fierce SEC defenses, so I could be wrong...

He is a lightning bolt for conversation no doubt,and His beliefs do not impact my thoughts on him one bit.Im just sick of hearing about him at least until we actually see what the kid can do when hes got
    An NFL blitz breathing down his neck
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

I've never been a Tebow supporter. I don't have a problem with everyone praising him and getting behind him though. There are way too many examples of how a fan base won't support a polarizing member of their team. I'm glad that he's getting all that support from Broncos fans. I'm even more glad that he's not a member of the 49ers though.

Does nobody remember the early days of John Elway? That was hype, especially since there was no internet. Luckily, John lived up to it. I have been hating Tebow for years(ROOOLLLL TIIIDE!), but now that he is here, lets enjoy the show. Why not get caught up in the mania? He has been the best player at every level, maybe he can be special in the pros. I don't think he will bust, he simply cares about the game too much to fail like Russell or Leaf. If he isn't a 4000 yard passer, 30 tds-7 ints, 12 wins every year, fine, neither was Elway, Namath, Fouts, Farve, McNabb, etc. Get excited! If he sucks, you can say I told ya so, but if he is great, don't you want to be there to enjoy it?

I would prefer that Tim Tebow just go away, because I am so tired of announcers confusing him with Jesus of Nazareth. I like Christianity just fine; it's the Church of Tebow I can't stand. However, I can't argue with this for a second:

I don't think he will bust, he simply cares about the game too much to fail like Russell or Leaf.
    I don't think Tim Tebow's going to end up doing much in the NFL, but because of his determination, I wouldn't bet against him.