Thread: Texans move to 3-4

Blog Entries

Texans move to 3-4

OK. For the people who follow the Texans, DE Connor Barwin used to be our babysitter and is a friend of the family, but his family moved to Chicago a few years back so I don't hear much anymore.

Connor ripped his ankle in the first game and Houston D stunk.

Wade Phillips is coming in as DC and moving to the 3-4. What does that mean for the DEs?

I have been wondering how this would change the Texans' personnel going into next season. At first glance, to me, they do not seem well suited for the transition. Barwin has a lot of versatility and he could probably play DE/OLB. Antonio Smith is actually a 3-4 DE by nature so he should be a sure fit. Where my concerns arise is who will play NT. Houston lacks a two-man-consuming, giant tackle to put in the middle of the line. They have always lacked this. Okoye is undersized and I doubt his ability to learn a new role since he has failed to impress in his first four seasons. I also don't know about the LB depth and where Cushing's role will land in this new scheme. Phillips likes to blitz a lot, and often from the outside. Will Cushing become an Anthony Spencer type to Mario Williams' Demarcus Ware role? Or does Wade have something else in mind? I have no idea how it will shake out. The Texans lack a dominant, consistent pass rush, even with Mario there, and that could change the way Phillips tries to get Kubiak to go in the draft and free agency.

Blog Entries
    Conner was a national AAU basketball player in HS and focused on Football because as his HS Coach said "They give 25 scholarships in football and 4 in Basketball." Conner was always freaky fast, his 4.47 at the combine was WAAY slow, for a silly reason. His scout day time was a 4.35. Connor is also really smart and a good worker/learner, but his strength for the DE spot is mundane. In his rookie season he took a while to learn how to use what he had to get to the QB, but he ended up the year as the 2nd highest sack total for NFL Rookies. And he always could jump and bat/pick off balls, because he knew where the QB was going to throw because he used to be a TE.

So I worry that a 3-4 DE needs to be a strength rusher, rather than a speed rusher. Connor could try OLB, but I am worried that he will get traded in the confusion off of his IR year and the 3-4 switch.

The lockout should help as there isn't much window to get in FAs. If they draft a NT there might be too many DLs in Houston.
    Last edited by darvon; 02-03-2011 at 12:16 PM.

This seems like the Redskins' move to the 3-4 this year. Houston's personnel just doesn't fit. They're taking their best lineman, Mario, and putting him into a position where no one knows how he'll perform.

I understand that the 3-4 is the sexy thing these days but don't teams understand that the scheme should fit the skills of the players? I know I'm just a dumb armchair coach but it seems to me that you should design your scheme around the players' strengths instead of trying to jam square pegs into round holes.

So it is guaranteed that Texans are switching to the 3-4.. Wade has training in almost every major D scheme out there so I was thinking he might keep them with 4-3 look. While I totally expect Mario play making ability to take a hit and Cushing to flourish in the 3-4, I'm really the most curious to see how D. Ryans adjusts to the change
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

Blog Entries
    Wade said 3-4 in teleconference yesterday, ESPN.

The Texans just switched froma 3-4 to a 4-3 a few seasons ago and now they're going back. It didn't work the first time under the old regime, so it will take a lot in the offseason to convince me they are making the right choice.

It's all about personnel. The Bills shifted to 3-4 and when that ws a disaster they switched back to 4-3. and when that was a disaster, they seemed to switch to a "Pro Bowl" defence.

The Texans defence was horrible last year. However, Wade Phillips knows what he's doing, so things will improve in Houston.