Thread: So... ummm... Juan Castillo?

So... ummm... Juan Castillo?

Is this a good move or another example of Andy Reid horribly mishandling the challenge flag?

I know absolutely nothing about coach Castillo - he may be the next Dick LaBeau for all I know. But moving from O-Line coach to Defensive Coordinator doesn't seem like a natural progression.

This is what got me the most out of the PFT article explaining the move

Mike Nolan once made a similar move from receivers coach to defensive coordinator in Baltimore. Bill Belichick was an offensive coach early in his career. With that said, there are few examples of coaches in this day of specialization making this kind of jump. Castillo hasn’t coached defense since he was at a Texas high school in 1989.
    That's a lot to ask of someone.. and Reid tenure in Philly just got a lot tighter.. i mean this could be worse then Art Shell hiring his O.Cooridinator straight out a Bed&Breakfest
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

It's a head scratcher to be sure. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

After watching the Eagles Defense leave skid marks all over the field in Buffalo, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this move is worse than backfiring - it is dooming the Eagles and by extension Andy Reid.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Um, yeah. We're gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday. It isn't necessarily that he was an o-line coach, it's that he was, you know. An o-line coach. Make the jump to head coach sure, but to the other side of the ball at the coordinator level? Strategically questionable, and appearing to pay no dividends, as the succession plan on o-line has turned out about as well.

Could also be that the lines have limited talent on both sides.

Mostly, though, I think it's a bad idea.

Blog Entries
    Hiring an OLine coach for defense leads to stupid sentences like: "Hey, let's turn one of the best two cover corners in the league into this hybrid safety-like nickel dude and run more zone with him."
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
    Hiring an OLine coach for defense leads to stupid sentences like: "Hey, let's turn one of the best two cover corners in the league into this hybrid safety-like nickel dude and run more zone with him."
    Spot on brother! I'm ready to kick the chair and hang myself over this defense.

Easy, Brooks. We're gonna build you a library.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Easy, Brooks. We're gonna build you a library.
    A Shawshank reference! Nice!

Blog Entries
    Don't think you can lay this one on Juan Castillo's doorstep. The Eagles have lost some games by blowing leads, and I don't think that's coaching. The Birds are just the latest example an organization that went out and bought some stars and threw them together and called it a roster. Dan Snyder on the phone, he's going to sue for copyright infringement.
    Best case for the Eagles, they work it out, maybe get the arrow pointed up this season. At least they didn't get an over the hill gang, and they didn't overpay, but once again we have to be shown that this ain't baseball, baby, it's the NFL.