Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are they a running team, or a passing team.

Hybrid View

Are they a running team, or a passing team.

Dolphins were definitely a running team last year, but with the addition of Brandon Marshall and Ronnie Brown returning from a season-ending foot injury, do they transform themselves into a pass-first team?

I think they will open the season looking to use their new toys and test Henne's big arm...if this fails, I look for a quick return to the "use the run to set up the pass mentality." Not to be overlooked is the hype coming out of Dolphin's camp about Pat White making a quantum leap...maybe, just maybe we finally see the "WildPat"
    "I suggest a new strategy Artoo...Let the Wookie win..."

3. The Dolphins are still a running team. They have the big great OL. They have the two headed attack of Brown/Williams. They might pass a little more, but their bread and butter is the running game.

4. They are a running team that just cleared about 2 guys out of the Front 7 because now teams have to keep them honest and protect against Brandon Marshall.

5. When I watched the tape of the Wildcat against the Colts last year I thought is was awesome. They destroyed the Colts running the ball. But it takes so long to score, the games are always close, and of course Peyton won it at the end. I still believe that big plays win games in the NFL. You need quick strikes and that comes in the passing game. I believe even with Ronnie Brown back this year, they begin to use it less now with Brandon Marshall. But if he gets hurt.........

Quote Originally Posted by Cris Collinsworth View Post
    When I watched the tape of the Wildcat against the Colts last year I thought is was awesome. They destroyed the Colts running the ball. But it takes so long to score, the games are always close, and of course Peyton won it at the end. I still believe that big plays win games in the NFL. You need quick strikes and that comes in the passing game. I believe even with Ronnie Brown back this year, they begin to use it less now with Brandon Marshall. But if he gets hurt.........
    I agree with that. They had a 45min time of possession vs. the Colts and still lost the game. Keeping the ball away from the other team is a big factor in games, but not when the other guy is one of the greats of all time. You've got to be able to strike deep down the field in a short time to be able to win games in today'a NFL. Not every week, but often enough that a one dimensional running team will flounder more often than not. I think this year Marshall opens up running lanes by keeping defenses honest and curbing their tendency to stack the box, but ultimately Miami is a run-first team. Their offensive line is built for it and even with Ronnie Brown returning from injury, their two-headed RB attack is one of the most potent in the league. He tore his ACL two seasons ago and came back well. I expect him to recover positively this time.
    Last edited by Wordsworth; 07-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    I agree with that. They had a 45min time of possession vs. the Colts and still lost the game. Keeping the ball away from the other team is a big factor in games, but not when the other guy is one of the greats of all time. You've got to be able to strike deep down the field in a short time to be able to win games in today'a NFL. Not every week, but often enough that a one dimensional running team will flounder more often than not. I think this year Marshall opens up running lanes by keeping defenses honest and curbing their tendency to stack the box, but ultimately Miami is a run-first team. Their offensive line is built for it and even with Ronnie Brown returning from injury, their two-headed RB attack is one of the most potent in the league. He tore his ACL two seasons ago and came back well. I expect him to recover positively this time.
    The Dolphins offense had nothing to do with why they lost the game against the Colts, if Miami's defense had played even like The U of Miami they win that game by 10. Their problem all year was giving up the big play and fixing that will determine their fate in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DM138385 View Post
    The Dolphins offense had nothing to do with why they lost the game against the Colts, if Miami's defense had played even like The U of Miami they win that game by 10. Their problem all year was giving up the big play and fixing that will determine their fate in 2010.
    I agree totaly. We also had a good lead on the Saints heading into half time and gave up several big plays to lose the game. Our offense was at times very "methodical" (or even boring). But it was effective. Our defense and lack of big play ability along with some costly turnovers hurt us quite a bit last year.

With the acquisition of Brandon Marshall and Carlos Dansby, we've addressed issues on both sides of the ball. Hopefully Dansby will help erase nightmare visions I still have of Dallas Clark running clear towards the endzone down the right hash mark of that Monday night game.

Obviously Bill Parcells isn't the coach, but I've never known him to want his teams to be pass-first!

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan97 View Post
    Obviously Bill Parcells isn't the coach, but I've never known him to want his teams to be pass-first!
    He's not the coach, but Tony Sparano is and he's from the Bill Parcells coaching tree which is mostly all guys who have the exact same philosophy.