Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are they a running team, or a passing team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinindian View Post
    This is still a run first team. That's what it has been built for and adding Marshall will only reinforce that. With Marshall on the field, Defenses will have to respect the threat of the pass and will loosen up on the line of scrimage to account for Marshall. Also Marshall is a very good and willing downfield blocker. Those two things together seem to point to Miami remaining a run first team.

Marshall obviously helps the passing game and Red Zone offense, but he also provides additional help in the running game.
    I started typing a post that said all this... but then as I was typing i looked up and read your post and I realized you said it excellently. Simply Quoted For Truth here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    I agree with that. They had a 45min time of possession vs. the Colts and still lost the game. Keeping the ball away from the other team is a big factor in games, but not when the other guy is one of the greats of all time. You've got to be able to strike deep down the field in a short time to be able to win games in today'a NFL. Not every week, but often enough that a one dimensional running team will flounder more often than not. I think this year Marshall opens up running lanes by keeping defenses honest and curbing their tendency to stack the box, but ultimately Miami is a run-first team. Their offensive line is built for it and even with Ronnie Brown returning from injury, their two-headed RB attack is one of the most potent in the league. He tore his ACL two seasons ago and came back well. I expect him to recover positively this time.
    The Dolphins offense had nothing to do with why they lost the game against the Colts, if Miami's defense had played even like The U of Miami they win that game by 10. Their problem all year was giving up the big play and fixing that will determine their fate in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DM138385 View Post
    The Dolphins offense had nothing to do with why they lost the game against the Colts, if Miami's defense had played even like The U of Miami they win that game by 10. Their problem all year was giving up the big play and fixing that will determine their fate in 2010.
    I agree totaly. We also had a good lead on the Saints heading into half time and gave up several big plays to lose the game. Our offense was at times very "methodical" (or even boring). But it was effective. Our defense and lack of big play ability along with some costly turnovers hurt us quite a bit last year.

With the acquisition of Brandon Marshall and Carlos Dansby, we've addressed issues on both sides of the ball. Hopefully Dansby will help erase nightmare visions I still have of Dallas Clark running clear towards the endzone down the right hash mark of that Monday night game.

I think Clark just burned Gibril again as we speak!
    Buckle Dem Chinstraps Primadonnas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinindian View Post
    I think Clark just burned Gibril again as we speak!
    I don't doubt it. But speaking of our running game, I'm eager to see how Ronnie bounce back this year. I hope he's able to finaly put 16 games together in a season.

There's alot riding on a healthy Ronnie Brown. For him and the Phins. He played a whole season 2 years ago but the guy always seems to have some sort of ding. Minor and major. Funny, but neither him nor Caddilac Williams have been able to stay healthy. If Ronnie gets dinged up again this year I doubt we will see him back. The Trifecta doesn't have much patiencewith guys who can't stay on the field.

Agree Tinindian, if Ronnie doe not make everbody realize this year that he is an elite back then when will he ever. The O-line should be top 5 in the league, have a legit #1 receiver to take pressure off the running game. This is the year for him to "seize the day" or hit the road.

Run the ball in that heat. Especially in an 'El Nino' year. Let your big dogs line up. Then let 'em eat. Get opposing defenses to dial in on the run, get gassed, then let Henne attack downfield. Miami could be a very tough out this year.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I agree with the sentiment that the Dolphins are definitely a run first team, that is a line of maulers and should be considered without a top 10 or top 5 line this year. However, I ran across something interesting on a Dolphins beat writer blog on the depth chart pre camp and it confused me& hoping a dolphin fan might clear it up. If your line is considered top 5 or higher, why are there so many starting position for grasp, wouldn't cause something like a disruption on continuity from year to year, don't you usually want your O-line to be set with more competition for the back up spots?

" Offensive Line (14)
    LT – Jake Long, Andrew Gardner
    LG – Nate Garner, John Jerry (third-round pick), Cory Procter, Ray Feinga
    C – Jake Grove, Joe Berger, Andrew Hartline
    RG – Richie Incognito, Donald Thomas, Dimitri Tsoumpas (CFL import)
    RT – Vernon Carey, Lydon Murtha

The Dolphins, which rushed for more than 2,200 yards last season, possess one of the deepest offensive lines in the NFL. Long and Carey are this unit’s lone locks as starters, but that’s only if they stay healthy. All the interior linemen are not only battle for starting spots, but spots on the 53-man roster and practice squad. Eight or nine linemen will likely make the 53-man roster, and two will be stashed on the practice squad.
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderM View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that the Dolphins are definitely a run first team, that is a line of maulers and should be considered without a top 10 or top 5 line this year. However, I ran across something interesting on a Dolphins beat writer blog on the depth chart pre camp and it confused me& hoping a dolphin fan might clear it up. If your line is considered top 5 or higher, why are there so many starting position for grasp, wouldn't cause something like a disruption on continuity from year to year, don't you usually want your O-line to be set with more competition for the back up spots?

" Offensive Line (14)
    LT – Jake Long, Andrew Gardner
    LG – Nate Garner, John Jerry (third-round pick), Cory Procter, Ray Feinga
    C – Jake Grove, Joe Berger, Andrew Hartline
    RG – Richie Incognito, Donald Thomas, Dimitri Tsoumpas (CFL import)
    RT – Vernon Carey, Lydon Murtha

The Dolphins, which rushed for more than 2,200 yards last season, possess one of the deepest offensive lines in the NFL. Long and Carey are this unit’s lone locks as starters, but that’s only if they stay healthy. All the interior linemen are not only battle for starting spots, but spots on the 53-man roster and practice squad. Eight or nine linemen will likely make the 53-man roster, and two will be stashed on the practice squad.
    That's a good question. The reason I think is that there is so much depth there. Starting at center, the phins brought in Grove from the Raiders because he could and did play well against Wilfork and Jenkins unlike Satele did previously. He's a great center but has been injured a bit. He did go down last year for a substantial amount of games and Berger took over with little or no drop off. At tackles you've got Long at left and Carey at right. Long is easily one of the top 3 at left in the league and Carey is top 5 probably at right and played banged up most of last year. The guards is where there are big changes this year. Donald Thomas was supposed to be the guy on the right side and he played ok but not as hoped. Left guard was manned the last 2 years by Justin Smiley a guy I really liked alot - one of the best pulling guards in the league. Unfortunately, he has chronically bad shoulders and we let him go this spring. So into this we have Nate Garner the most versatile guy on the line. I think he played 4 of the 5 linespots at one point or another last season and played them well. He is probably the front runner at right guardbut the rookie John Jerry (Peria Jerry of the Falcons, brother) could push him hard for the spot, but he will be making the move from tackle in college. Cory Procter from the Cowboys is probably a depth guy but he knows how Sparano likes things done from his days with the Cowboys. On the Right the infamous Ritchie Incognito will probably win the spot. He is a terrific guard but is well known for blowing up on the field and is considered a "dirty" player, but he can play some guard. Thomas is good but needs to get a little tougher mentally. He doesn't seem to respond well if he gets beat.

That's pretty much the story and while you would normally like these guys to play together more, especially the guard spots, the fact is they were banged up and had backups in and out all year and still anchored the 4th best rushing attack in the NFL last year. I expect that Incognito will be a big upgrade at right guard and Garner should win the Left spot for now. I expect big things from John Jerry but I don't think he will win the spot in camp.
    Last edited by Tinindian; 07-28-2010 at 11:15 PM.