Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sad, True Story

1. According to former teammates, Dave Duerson was a great one. Very intelligent guy, Notre Dame graduate. Smart enough obviously to realize he wasn't right mentally. To take his own life and request his brain be donated for research says it all. He didn't want his loved ones to be burdened by his problems. He knew his quality of life would be miserable as would that of his family and friends. What a sad realization!!! The owners and players should jointly fund a program to provide some kind of support to prevent these tragedies. Players that are most in need did not earn anywhere near the kind of money enjoyed by NFL players of today. It really is sad and depressing to think how bad Dave Duerson's final days must have been.

Blog Entries
    Reading his wiki was weird...I had no clue about the owning McDs and meat things...not making fun at all, sounds like he knew what he was doing...just again, goes to show, for some people there IS life after football...I'm sure some of those ex players end up WORKING at McDs, and not owning a few
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRidley View Post
    True; First, players back in the day didn't make Nearly as much as today's players. Also, players of today could stash All that cash to save for themselves, but the League still should have a responsibility to care for the players regardless of income. Contracts in the League aren't guaranteed and signing bonuses are spread out throughout the contract's terms, I understand. The League preserves and profits from memory of players and should preserve the players themselves.
    Sure, and businesses thrive and profit from the hard work of those employees who came before them too. Doesn't mean companies should have to pay for someone to live the last 20-30 years of their lives. 45-50 for NFL players.

You're right contracts aren't guaranteed, but other than death and taxes, neither is anything else in life. I feel it should be more up to the players to prepare themselves for their future and life after football than the owners or the league. I mean, they work for what, 10 years maybe? Requiring a company to pick up the tab for the last 40-50 years of your life when you only put in 10 or 15 just seems a bit much to me.

All that said, I'm not opposed to the league making a voluntary contribution to the players, but I also won't rail against them if they don't. It's their organization, they can run it the way they want to. The other side is if they start fully funding the retirement of players now, what happens when they reach a point where it's unsustainable and they can no longer fund it? We've all seen with many of the state and federal unions how quickly the system becomes unsustainable and insolvent. There's a reason why companies made the switch from defined benefit pension systems to defined contribution systems.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRidley View Post
    Nice point. Players should manage their money better and need that knowledge from Rookie yr. and forward. The Rookie Symposiums may have that now; Nonetheless the players of today will be more comfortable than their predecessors but should still have viable benefits with their retirement package.
    One thing I would ask of the union is that they provide the players with some kind of financial counseling each and every year. Make it mandatory they attend AND pass. Whether the players take action or not is a different story, but if the union truly cares about it's players, they should at least make it a requirement that they get a little basic financial education.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lapham View Post
    According to former teammates, Dave Duerson was a great one. Very intelligent guy, Notre Dame graduate. Smart enough obviously to realize he wasn't right mentally. To take his own life and request his brain be donated for research says it all. He didn't want his loved ones to be burdened by his problems. He knew his quality of life would be miserable as would that of his family and friends. What a sad realization!!! The owners and players should jointly fund a program to provide some kind of support to prevent these tragedies. Players that are most in need did not earn anywhere near the kind of money enjoyed by NFL players of today. It really is sad and depressing to think how bad Dave Duerson's final days must have been.
    Something to keep in mind is the knowledge and technology now is much more advanced than it was back then. It is unfortunate so many former players are now experiencing problems, but at least we're more aware of the issues now so they can hopefully be prevented.

I agree this is truly a sad story. I only hope he discussed his options with his family first, before taking his own life. At least they would be able to have closure.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMilk View Post
    Reading his wiki was weird...I had no clue about the owning McDs and meat things...not making fun at all, sounds like he knew what he was doing...just again, goes to show, for some people there IS life after football...I'm sure some of those ex players end up WORKING at McDs, and not owning a few
    And this is the type of financial counseling I feel the union should require of it's players, if not every year, then every other year. Help them set themselves up for life after football.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    And this is the type of financial counseling I feel the union should require of it's players, if not every year, then every other year. Help them set themselves up for life after football.
    Good thought, but totally impossible to carryout, as in "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Quote Originally Posted by buzmeg View Post
    Good thought, but totally impossible to carryout, as in "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."
    Oh sure, but at least the union can honestly say they are doing every single thing possible to help prepare their players for life after football.

Blog Entries
    I liked Duerson as a kid. This is a sad story. Unfortunately, this is one in a long line of these things.

The NFL needs to help provide health care after careers are over. Players often end up penniless due to health care costs even if they put money aside. The care of former players is rarely cheap.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
    I liked Duerson as a kid. This is a sad story. Unfortunately, this is one in a long line of these things.

The NFL needs to help provide health care after careers are over. Players often end up penniless due to health care costs even if they put money aside. The care of former players is rarely cheap.
    Right, but therein lies the problem with having the league be the provider of health care coverage post career. We can all agree football is not like most careers, in that it's relatively short. Problem is someone has to foot the bill for the remaining 35-40 years of the player's post-football lives. It's not a sustainable system the league would be able to do for long.

Honestly, I think the best way the league can help these guys is by pushing a financial education on the players. I'm not expecting these guys to be some kind of economics major, but teach them the true value of saving, planning, and investing. Work with them to create actual wealth to help pay for their post-football lives. These guys make more money in a few years than most people ever will in a lifetime, yet others find a way to get by. There's no reason to think the players couldn't do the same.

I understand some players won't take the advice. Like someone pointed out, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But those that do will have a good shot at not experiencing financial ruin and at being able to make sure their health care is covered.