Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running and Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
    So many people across the country keep making the same mistake concerning Thomas Jones and Tomlinson. Jones was replaced by Shonn Green not Tomlinson. Green is our #1 back. Tomlinson will be a 3rd down back along with the rookie McKnight.
    Even so, the replacements look like this:
    RB Depth Chart:
    1. Thomas Jones --> Shonn Green
    2. Leon Washington --> LT
    3. Shonn Green --> Joe McKnight

With a heavier workload, I don't see Green doing anything more than replicating what Jones did--not an upgrade. LT is a definite downgrade from Washington in terms of explosiveness and versatility. McKnight is a complete unknown, but I'm sure all thirty two teams would rather have Green than McKnight.

By my grading: Split [at best]-Downgrade-Downgrade.

I don't know how a team moves out two of it's top rushers and stays #1 in rushing for a second year. I think most people can agree that LT is not an upgrade over Leon Washington, but a lateral step or downgrade in the 3DRB role. With fresh legs he can still be competitive because he showed last year that he can score in short yardage even without the burst he once had. Shonn Greene can obviously get his job done but we'll see if he can stretch it out over 16 games. I don't think they return as the top rushing team again in 2010 though.

I think they return as the top rushing team, or at least a top three, but I think it will take more carries. Expect YPC and +10yd rushes to drop dramatically.

Unless the Sanchise lives up to his trademark name, of course. Then all bets are off, and you may be looking at the Super Bowl favorites.
    “There is an old saying about the strength of the wolf is the pack, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. On a football team, it's not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.”--Bill Belichick

Blog Entries
    I think Rex Ryan likes hard nosed football, and knows he needs to run the ball, and he will, and he will run it well no matter who's back there.

Secondly (and I know it wasn't the topic, but still) I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Colts (Unless I missed it haha)...they were DEAD LAST by a very wide margin (8 yards per game) in only averaging 80 yards rushing last year, and their defense was 24th against the run, 14th against the pass, and were 18th in yards per game. Now obviously, the simple answer is Peyton Manning. But I wonder how many teams of the past defense was this mediocre, rushing game so poor, yet their team dominated during the regular season and conference playoffs.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Shonn better than Jones. Jones ran out of steam last season. Jones is done as a legit #1 starter. Leon Washington is an unknown now, so you can't compare him until you see how he has recovered.

I think it has been proven that to win a Super Bowl, you need an elite quarterback and a solid defense. You can't be completely one dimensional but it has become a passing league and ultimately you'll find yourself in a situation where you're behind late and you need the quarterback to win the game for you.

Running the ball is a symptom of being a winning team, not a cause of it. Obviously, you have to be able to run the ball in certain situations but the quarterback makes the offense go.

That being said, you need your defense to step up too - but again it's about defending the pass, getting to the quarterback, and getting turnovers.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=GBPKS;1500]I think it has been proven that to win a Super Bowl, you need an elite quarterback and a solid defense. You can't be completely one dimensional but it has become a passing league and ultimately you'll find yourself in a situation where you're behind late and you need the quarterback to win the game for you.QUOTE]

Trent Dilfer is crying, for it's the first time he's ever been called an elite QB haha...I kid, I kid

I think the league has evolved a lot since the 2000 Ravens or even the 2002 Bucs - the rules continue to be altered to protect the quarterback and provide advantages to the receiver.

I'm not sure we'll see a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson win a Super Bowl again unless surrounded by an all-time great running back, an all-time great defense, and a terrific coach.

Blog Entries
    Rex Grossman came pretty close, but I agree, with an unproven, average or below average quarterback, they need one of those aspects to be DOMINANT to make it that far into the Playoffs

Rex got to the Super Bowl because of a team playing good defense and inhuman special teams, but at the end of the day when it came down to Peyton Manning vs. Rex Grossman it was a mismatch the Colts won reasonably easily.