Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running and Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GBPKS View Post
    I think the league has evolved a lot since the 2000 Ravens or even the 2002 Bucs - the rules continue to be altered to protect the quarterback and provide advantages to the receiver.

I'm not sure we'll see a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson win a Super Bowl again unless surrounded by an all-time great running back, an all-time great defense, and a terrific coach.
    it's a little known fact that brad johnson had a stellar year in 2002. 22 TD's. 6 INT's. 3000 yds. and toss in a trip to the pro bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioTech View Post
    it's a little known fact that brad johnson had a stellar year in 2002. 22 TD's. 6 INT's. 3000 yds. and toss in a trip to the pro bowl.
    Absolutely. That's great bar room trivia.

And Big Ben was absolutely horrific in his first Super Bowl win, and the Steelers still won despite his performance. Throw in Grossman's trip to the Super Bowl, and I think you can still argue that a great QB is not an absolute necessity [Eli won one, too].
    “There is an old saying about the strength of the wolf is the pack, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. On a football team, it's not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together.”--Bill Belichick

Blog Entries
    The key to winning the Super Bowl is getting there. Look at the Giants in '07, they were lights out on defense, had a good run game, and would have lost to an injured Tom Brady except for one incredibly lucky throw and catch. In order to win the Super Bowl you don't need a great QB, or run game, or defense. You have to be good enough, and healthy enough, and lucky enough to get to the game, and then anything can happen. One toe out and the Cards win, history changes. Porter drops the ball and Colts score, history changes, our whole view of Peyton Manning changes. Adam Vinetieri misses a couple of kicks and Belichek is bagging groceries (well, ok, selling cars). It's the NFL, worst to first, it's not that far.

The Jets defense is going be just as good as was last year, if not better with another year operating under Rex's system. Kris Jenkins is already down 20 pounds coming off of the knee injury which should help him get back to being the force that he was at the beginning of last season, and once they give Revis the money he deserves, they'll be back on track to wrecking opposing QB's all season long. The addition of Cromartie on the other side of Revis makes our secondary even stronger because if Rex is able to bring out Cro's 2007 form, opposing offenses will have nowhere to throw the ball. Our front 7 will be then free to do what they do best, get after the QB, make plays and create turnovers.

As for the other side of the ball, TJ lost a step at the end of last year and his YPC was terrible considering the quality of our O-Line that he ran behind so Greene's young legs will be a major upgrade. Washington is coming off of a broken leg so you really don't know what to expect when he returns, so while LT has been undoubtedly on the decline, he now gets to run behind one of the best O-Lines in the league as a 3DRB, definitely a better situation for him to succeed than San Diego. While I am concerned about the loss of Faneca, even though statistically he was our worst pass blocker last year, his leadership on the line helped Brick and Mangold flourish and his veteran presence in the locker room will be missed. Through the air, Sanchez will have another year under his belt and now he has even more toys to play with down field with the addition of Santonio Holmes. With Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, and Keller our receiving corps are extremely solid and with Sanchez growing in confidence and knowledge, opposing defenses wont be able to stack 8 or 9 guys in the box to shut down the run anymore.

Its a misnomer that the J-E-T-S are a one-dimensional team in the mold of the top defensive teams of the past decade who have not had the most prolific offenses. While some pundits are starting the hype machine on the 2010 Jets already, as a lifelong fan I refuse to go Joe Namath and start predicting anything because of all the times my teams love to choke (see Favre, Brett (2008); Brien, Doug (2005); I'm also a Mets fan... say no more) but this team has the potential to be compete at the top this year and still be in the hunt for Lombardi when January rolls around again.

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Look I still agree with the statement but I think it comes down to BALL CONTROL. As someone said before short passes now can be just as effective as a short run if you have an offense that can sustain it. The saints could easily throw the ball and gain 3 yards on every play. Same with the colts. This is comparable to a great running game. What it comes down to is slowly ticking those seconds off the clock and scoring. Take control of the game. In the end you will always need a good D. I mean, I think John Madden would say something along the lines that "You can't win if the other team scores more points than you!" ha! It is all about being efficient and knowing what you want to do with the ball and doing it.

PLUS! Don't sleep on Joe Mcknight. The guy is a beast. He was #1 recruit in college during his time. The guy is an athlete and can run and catch balls out of the back like LDT. That Line for the Jets will be just fine opening those holes. I think last year Jerome Bettis could have made a comeback with that LINE.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

agreed completely, the ability of an elite QB to close out games through the short passing game can be just as useful as a bruising running game. The thing is there are very few of those elite QB's who can actually pull that off (Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers?) and Sanchez is nowhere close to that echelon yet. Definitely, nobody should be sleeping on Mcknight at all. Coming into SC as the #1 HS recruit, he was burdened by the expectations that he would become the next Reggie Bush along with the lingering controversy surrounding the questionable legality of his recruitment that lasted for the entirety of his College tenure. Give him a few years to soak up the knowledge from LT, one of the best running backs of the past decade, without any pressure on him to produce immediately or carry any burden because of the power of our O-Line, he might just turn into that back that everybody thought he was going to be

8. The Jets will have the best defense in the league and a solid running attack, but to make it in the NFL these days you need to be able to pass. The Jets will go as far as Mark Sanchez brings us. I think he is going to be a great QB, the Jets have put alot of solid players around him at WR and OL. If he plays the same way he did in the playoffs we will be fine this year. Unfortunately passing wins championships, just look at the two teams in the Super Bowl the past 2 years.

Look, if you have a truly dominating defense, you can do anything. As my old wrestling coach used to say (and as was proven by the Packers/Cardinals playoff game), "If you score a lot of points you may win, but if your opponent doesn't score, you can't lose."

I just don't think the Jets have a truly dominating defense. Miami hung 30 on them twice last year, and New England and Indianapolis eclipsed 30 points on them as well.

One of my best friends is a Jet fan, and we have a bet already lined up for the Packer/Jet game on Halloween - will the Packers score 20 points on the vaunted Jet defense? I think it's a lock - the Packers only scored less than 20 points once last season.

10. How do they not have a dominating defense? They lead the league in overall defense last year, and all they've done is add cromartie, jenkins (from injury) and taylor (old but will provide leadership and energy in a limited pash rushing role). Rodgers is a great QB but him and every other QB in the league should be scared to play the jets this year.