Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Running and Defense

Quote Originally Posted by jship2121 View Post
    How do they not have a dominating defense? They lead the league in overall defense last year, and all they've done is add cromartie, jenkins (from injury) and taylor (old but will provide leadership and energy in a limited pash rushing role). Rodgers is a great QB but him and every other QB in the league should be scared to play the jets this year.
    There are very few dominating defenses in NFL history. The 2009-10 Jets were not the 1985 Bears, the 1986 Giants, or the 2000 Ravens. Statistically, someone has to lead the NFL in defense every year. That doesn't make them a dominating defense.

Don't get me wrong - the Jets were the best defense in the NFL last year and a very good defense, but they were not a game-changing DOMINATING defense. In fact, in a lot of games, they were unable to get a key late stop to win the game - they gave up late scores to lose close games against Miami, against Jacksonville, against Atlanta, I think even against Buffalo. The only reason they were able to get past San Diego in the playoffs is because Nate Kaeding self-destructed. Dominating defenses make those stops - dominating defenses win those games, and the Jets defense was not a dominating defense.

They've added more big name players in the offseason - but Cromartie's reputation was built in his rookie year and he hasn't been as good since - Jason Taylor is on his last legs, and Kris Jenkins hasn't shown he can stay healthy. Plus, it remains to be seen if Revis can play at the unconsciously good level he was at last year - if he reverts to the mean even a little bit, it will have a big impact.

Again, I'm not saying that the Jets defense isn't good - but it's not the special defense that can carry a team to a championship without getting help from the offense. Mark Sanchez is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds this year for the Jets to live up to their hype.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GBPKS View Post
    There are very few dominating defenses in NFL history. The 2009-10 Jets were not the 1985 Bears, the 1986 Giants, or the 2000 Ravens. Statistically, someone has to lead the NFL in defense every year. That doesn't make them a dominating defense.

Don't get me wrong - the Jets were the best defense in the NFL last year and a very good defense, but they were not a game-changing DOMINATING defense. In fact, in a lot of games, they were unable to get a key late stop to win the game - they gave up late scores to lose close games against Miami, against Jacksonville, against Atlanta, I think even against Buffalo. The only reason they were able to get past San Diego in the playoffs is because Nate Kaeding self-destructed. Dominating defenses make those stops - dominating defenses win those games, and the Jets defense was not a dominating defense.

They've added more big name players in the offseason - but Cromartie's reputation was built in his rookie year and he hasn't been as good since - Jason Taylor is on his last legs, and Kris Jenkins hasn't shown he can stay healthy. Plus, it remains to be seen if Revis can play at the unconsciously good level he was at last year - if he reverts to the mean even a little bit, it will have a big impact.

Again, I'm not saying that the Jets defense isn't good - but it's not the special defense that can carry a team to a championship without getting help from the offense. Mark Sanchez is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds this year for the Jets to live up to their hype.
    I am not trying to compare the Jets to any of those teams, but you named the 3 best defensive teams in the last 40 years. The jets defense will create turnovers and be able to stop both the run and pass effectively. I just don't see how they don't get even better than last year with the additions they made plus a second year under the Rex Ryan system.

Agreed that Sanchez needs to improve in order to be a serious contender late in January.

3. GBPKS - The Jets did not have another corner to compliment Revis and Kerry Rhodes couldn't cover anyone. Adding Cromartie will allow them to play man on anyone. He didn't have great seasons the past 2 but that is because SD played a zone most of the time. If Revis and Cromartie can cover a receiver for 5-6 seconds, which they both have proved in the past they can, the Jets will have the best defense in the league again. To put them in the same category as those 3 other teams you mentioned is crazy, they are an unproven defense but have the potential to be great. The packers suck...

Quote Originally Posted by chriscavuto View Post
    GBPKS - The Jets did not have another corner to compliment Revis and Kerry Rhodes couldn't cover anyone. Adding Cromartie will allow them to play man on anyone. He didn't have great seasons the past 2 but that is because SD played a zone most of the time. If Revis and Cromartie can cover a receiver for 5-6 seconds, which they both have proved in the past they can, the Jets will have the best defense in the league again. To put them in the same category as those 3 other teams you mentioned is crazy, they are an unproven defense but have the potential to be great. The packers suck...
    Again, we seem tobe having some miscommunication. The Jets are a good defense, maybe even a very good defense. But you still haven't answered how this so-called great defense blew fourth quarter leads against the likes of Buffalo, Miami, Jacksonville, and Atlanta last year. Hey, it's great that the Jets held Atlanta to 10 points - but it doesn't help if you only score 7.

And as great as Revis is - the Dolphins proved you can run the ball right down the Jets' throats and they had no answer for it. Maybe Kris Jenkins coming back healthy will help that piece of the defense, but you can't be a truly great defense unless you can stuff the run.

My argument is not that the Jets are not a good defense. They are a good defense - and maybe they will be better in 2010 than they were in 2009. That's not my argument, though. My argument is that the Jets are not a good ENOUGH defense to be a Super Bowl contender unless Mark Sanchez plays well at quarterback. Rex Ryan's swagger has put a bullseye on the Jets and they have a lot of hype coming into the season and they are going to be on Hard Knocks and they made a great run to the AFC Championship Game and that's all wonderful - but people forget that this team was 7-7 and got a gift from Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell to make it to the playoffs and then got another gift from Nate Kaeding's foot to make it to the AFC Championship Game.

They don't give out rings for being the #1 defense. They give out rings for winning the Super Bowl. That's what the hyped goal for the Jets is this year. But I don't think they have enough on offense to get it done.

Defense wins championships? Not lately in the NFL. Look at the last few Super Bowl matchups - Brees versus Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger versus Warner, Brady versus Eli Manning... now, Mark Sanchez has that pedigree - he was a high first round pick. So, maybe he and the Jets will surprise me. But, the defense alone isn't going to get them there - Sanchez is going to have to carry the load on offense to get it done.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GBPKS View Post
    Again, we seem tobe having some miscommunication. The Jets are a good defense, maybe even a very good defense. But you still haven't answered how this so-called great defense blew fourth quarter leads against the likes of Buffalo, Miami, Jacksonville, and Atlanta last year. Hey, it's great that the Jets held Atlanta to 10 points - but it doesn't help if you only score 7.

And as great as Revis is - the Dolphins proved you can run the ball right down the Jets' throats and they had no answer for it. Maybe Kris Jenkins coming back healthy will help that piece of the defense, but you can't be a truly great defense unless you can stuff the run.

My argument is not that the Jets are not a good defense. They are a good defense - and maybe they will be better in 2010 than they were in 2009. That's not my argument, though. My argument is that the Jets are not a good ENOUGH defense to be a Super Bowl contender unless Mark Sanchez plays well at quarterback. Rex Ryan's swagger has put a bullseye on the Jets and they have a lot of hype coming into the season and they are going to be on Hard Knocks and they made a great run to the AFC Championship Game and that's all wonderful - but people forget that this team was 7-7 and got a gift from Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell to make it to the playoffs and then got another gift from Nate Kaeding's foot to make it to the AFC Championship Game.

They don't give out rings for being the #1 defense. They give out rings for winning the Super Bowl. That's what the hyped goal for the Jets is this year. But I don't think they have enough on offense to get it done.

Defense wins championships? Not lately in the NFL. Look at the last few Super Bowl matchups - Brees versus Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger versus Warner, Brady versus Eli Manning... now, Mark Sanchez has that pedigree - he was a high first round pick. So, maybe he and the Jets will surprise me. But, the defense alone isn't going to get them there - Sanchez is going to have to carry the load on offense to get it done.
    Well i think it is just common sense to say that a super bowl team needs to be well balanced. Obviously the jets need sanchez to be better and they need to do more on offense in order to be a contender. The packers had an explosive offense and lost in the first round of the playoffs because they couldn't stop the cards. The jets blew some leads and gave up some points, but they were young with a first year head coach, and i've never heard of a team that shutout every opponent every game. Teams will score points, sanchez will have his turnovers. But the key is to limit turnovers on offense and then send a defense to the field that can create turnovers, get good field possession, and control the game defensively. I think the jets have the ability to control a game on defense and then with the improvement of sanchez, the offense will score more points which will lead to more wins.

I agree with GBPKS that the Jets defense is very good but it's not a totally dominating defense. The addition of Cromartie is mostly just a good name. The guy straight up can't tackle, thus his effectiveness in zone coverage is very questionable. Unless he gets to play man coverage for an entire season he could end up being a liability.

Kris Jenkins can be a force in the middle but as was said before I want him to prove he can stay healthy before I tag him as a lynch pin of the defensive front. If he stays on the field he will make a huge impact.

The Jets have a great defense, yes, maybe the best in the league for a second year running in 2010, but there are a few questions at key positions and I think the offense will have to remain effective in the run game to keep the defense fresh and ready to pounce. They will still be a good team this year.