Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NFL 2011 Solution-Avoiding A Work Stoppage

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMathas View Post
    Give me some other possible scenarios. I'm listening.

Also, on a side note, I've successfully negotiated the division of dog bones in my house for years. I think that qualifies me to settle the CBA.
    17 game season with one game played at a neutral field.
    Thursday games to be broadcast on network TV (NFLN ain't getting it done). And bidding it would bring a huge payday from FOX or CBS or NBC. (ESPN lays out $1.1 billion for MNF)

Just to name a couple.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    So one good game where the Packers played terrible and the Lions put up only 7 points in a 7-3 defeat means they should be allowed into the playoffs?

No disrespect to GoBig, one of my good friends on this website, but no 6-10 team deserves a playoff spot unless they happen to win their division. I don't care who they beat in that one game during the regular season, the playoffs should be reserved for top teams only.

Besides, I think more fans appreciate and respect when their teams make the playoffs the right way, as opposed to backing in because "Everyone gets to qualify."
    Amen to that, Sparta.

3. Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    17 game season with one game played at a neutral field.
    Thursday games to be broadcast on network TV (NFLN ain't getting it done). And bidding it would bring a huge payday from FOX or CBS or NBC. (ESPN lays out $1.1 billion for MNF)

Just to name a couple.
    Neutral field? That doesn't work. The idea is to reward the teams (with better records) with home games, not create bowl game travel. What about fans' expenses?

NFL Network is the NFL. They're trying to build a network brand, probably not likely to pass off Thurs games to another network...at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMathas View Post
    Neutral field? That doesn't work. The idea is to reward the teams (with better records) with home games, not create bowl game travel. What about fans' expenses?

NFL Network is the NFL. They're trying to build a network brand, probably not likely to pass off Thurs games to another network...at least not yet.
    The NFLN still is not available in New York City. That is some pretty poor brand building IMHO.

You may have just hit something there. 17 game season with the 16 teams with the best records last year rewarded with that 9th regular season home game. Roll two bye weeks and that gets the league two extra weeks of TV money. Crappy teams get to host 2 preseason games.
    Last edited by GoBigOrGoHome; 03-02-2011 at 07:58 PM.

5. It seems that everyone is not for increasing playoff spots, because it would cheapen the regular season. Yet no one objects to the clear lack of equity among the intra division games. The Pats got a walk in their division until the last two years. Is that fair? How about the AFC West? Why should they get into the playoffs and still rest their players. Of course you have the NFC West, now there is equity but it is all in foreclosure. The NFL has to open its horizons or we are going to lose teams that can't make their market pay for itself or continue to spiral into a to class system.

Quote Originally Posted by williwonte View Post
    It seems that everyone is not for increasing playoff spots, because it would cheapen the regular season. Yet no one objects to the clear lack of equity among the intra division games. The Pats got a walk in their division until the last two years. Is that fair? How about the AFC West? Why should they get into the playoffs and still rest their players. Of course you have the NFC West, now there is equity but it is all in foreclosure. The NFL has to open its horizons or we are going to lose teams that can't make their market pay for itself or continue to spiral into a to class system.
    Oh please, what's not fair about rewarding the good teams with a post season spot? So the Patriots should be penalized for assembling the best team in their division and playing better football than everyone else? Got it.

The playoffs are supposed to be about the teams who were the best in the regular season duking it out for a shot at the NFL championship, not about making sure bad teams have their shot. It's not the Pats fault the Bills, Jets and Dolphins have been proverbial stinkers year in and year out, and it's not up to them to ensure their competitors are better.

Every single year, every single team has a chance to turn things around and be better than the rest of their division. Make good draft picks, have good play calling and good coaching, and you can be on your way to having success in the league. Don't and you'll be a stinker. Not sure what's unfair..