Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rams Draft Need: Running Back

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    They should draft Trent Richardson with the high pick they're going to get. The other crappy teams don't really need RBs, except for the Seahawks, but RB should be a secondary concern for them.
    Draft a player for a complimentary role with your top 10 pick? That doesn't make a bit of sense, unless you plan on ditching Jackson during the year. The Rams need corners, receivers, and offensive linemen. Not another RB.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Draft a player for a complimentary role with your top 10 pick? That doesn't make a bit of sense, unless you plan on ditching Jackson during the year. The Rams need corners, receivers, and offensive linemen. Not another RB.
    He's by far the best RB in the draft if he declares, but yes, you have to assume that S-Jax retires/gets waived soon. It's just a complimentary role for the teams who don't need elite RBs, and rely on passing. You can't hit gold with all of them, and they aren't turning into a passing team anytime soon.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Blog Entries
    They should draft Trent Richardson with the high pick they're going to get. The other crappy teams don't really need RBs, except for the Seahawks, but RB should be a secondary concern for them.
    I'd add the Bengals to this list. Benson has character issues, an expiring contract, and isn't really very good anyway.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    He's by far the best RB in the draft if he declares, but yes, you have to assume that S-Jax retires/gets waived soon. It's just a complimentary role for the teams who don't need elite RBs, and rely on passing. You can't hit gold with all of them, and they aren't turning into a passing team anytime soon.
    I agree with all of this except the last bit. McDaniels is the offensive coordinator and their QB is a recent #1 draft pick. They're going to be a passing team come hell or high water.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Rams Draft Needs

Now that Jeff Fisher is at the helm, I would expect a lot of roster changes. Fisher reportedly is high on Steven Jackson, James Laurinitis, Chris Long, and Robert Quinn, and had a productive meeting with Bradford during his interviews. Fisher wants a team that is stout on both lines, but there is also a severe need for a true #1 WR as well as better play from the TE position. They can upgrade their talent base at every position, except punter and kicker-but getting an elite WR is the top need, by far. Peyton Manning was not able to win a Super Bowl until he had Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne-Bradford had the worst WR corps in football the last 2 years.

The Rams may trade their # 2 pick-if they can trade the pick and still get Blackmon with one of their first-round selections, that would be ideal. I would expect them to draft a Left Tackle and CB in the early rounds as well (especially if they have extra picks from trading down). Fisher will probably draft a RB in the middle rounds to complement Jackson-get a RB with upside at a reasonable price, who can keep Jackson fresh for the red zone. Use later picks for Guards and LBs, maybe take a flier on a late-round QB.

The Rams need a young QB to groom for the future. Spagnolou foolishly cut Thaddeus Lewis after training camp (he was picked up by the Browns)-he was a young QB with mobility who looked good in preseason games. I know preseason games can be 'fool's gold' in evaluating players at times, but I would have kept him as a 3rd QB.