Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rams Draft Need: Running Back

Rams Draft Need: Running Back

It is painfully obvious that the Rams will finally have to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a viable RB to initially back up Steven Jackson, and eventually replace him. Jackson is a warrior but his playing style makes him prone to injury and he is getting near 30 years old-he could hit the Shaun Alexander wall at any time in the next couple years. He is in great physical shape and works hard, but a body can only take so much of a beating. I was frankly surprised the Rams did not draft a RB in the early rounds last year, but when you are rebuilding, there are so many needs to fill so I won't second-guess their front office a whole lot. The team is progressing and has had decent drafts for 2-3 years, after 7-8 years of abysmal drafts and puzzling free-agent decisions (drafting Tye Hill in round one-WTF?).

I don't watch a great deal of college football so someone can fill us in on who the Rams might take at RB with a pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. Or is there a guy at a lower draft grade who is a 'sleeper'? And no, drafting a guy in round 7 does not count-the Rams need an impact player at RB, not just a guy who fills a roster spot.

Blog Entries
    It's not a good RB class this year, but the Rams might be able to find some value in the 2nd round or later. K-State's Daniel Thomas and Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter could be good 2nd round picks. Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray and UConn's Jordan Todman are viable 3rd round options as well. Then there also sleepers you might be able to cash in on later, such as Oregon State's Jacquizz Rodgers and Wisconsin's John Clay. It all depends on which specific traits you're looking for in a compliment to Jackson, and if you plan on eventually having him become the new feature RB for the team.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

I know McDaniels, their new offensive coordinator, tended to use RB by committee in his last stops. The Rams probably expect Jackson to be the feature back for a couple more years, at least, so if you got a quick RB with pass catching skills and edge speed that can also return punts or kickoffs, the need would probably be filled.

If there are no can't-miss early round RBs this year, picking up a very good complementary back in rounds 2-4 makes a lot of sense for the Rams. Hopefully he can get 10-15 touches a game and help keep Jackson fresh for the 4th quarter and red zone.

Blog Entries
    Then I would recommend targeting Jacquizz Rodgers or someone in a similar mold. Rodgers is highly explosive and very valuable as a receiver out of the backfield as well, he would fit what you're looking for perfectly.

I wouldn't call a RB who ran a 4.64 40 highly explosive, especially with his size. His 3-cone was last among RB's also. His YPC decreased his senior year, which is the one season that you would want to step up in. Clay dropped 30 pounds after the season, and still ended up running a 4.87 40 time (last among RB's). I wouldn't be surprised if teams try to switch him over to a FB.

Shane Vereen or Taiwan Jones are the RB's you should be hoping for.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Blog Entries
    ^Loves Rams^ Good Post. I wouldn't mind seeing them grab a RB in the 3rd round; That can be helpful. I think with the NFC West expected to rise with the years Bradford is going to clock with St. Louis, I don't think it would hurt to get O-Lineman in the First Round over a WR. Appears WRs taken in the non-1st rounds are gonna make it anyway.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRidley; 03-06-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: [Loves Rams]
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    I wouldn't call a RB who ran a 4.64 40 highly explosive, especially with his size. His 3-cone was last among RB's also. His YPC decreased his senior year, which is the one season that you would want to step up in. Clay dropped 30 pounds after the season, and still ended up running a 4.87 40 time (last among RB's). I wouldn't be surprised if teams try to switch him over to a FB.

Shane Vereen or Taiwan Jones are the RB's you should be hoping for.
    Speed =/= Explosiveness. I'd be willing to bet money that his 10 yard split was impressive, but I can't find it on any Combine results database. His YPC dropped so suddenly because the dropoff from Sean Canfield at QB in 09 to the mediocre QB situation in 2010, as well as the loss of top WR James Rodgers to injury, allowed defenses to crowd the box much more often.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Speed =/= Explosiveness. I'd be willing to bet money that his 10 yard split was impressive, but I can't find it on any Combine results database. His YPC dropped so suddenly because the dropoff from Sean Canfield at QB in 09 to the mediocre QB situation in 2010, as well as the loss of top WR James Rodgers to injury, allowed defenses to crowd the box much more often.
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...Name&order=ASC

At 5'7", he should be much faster and agile.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

The Rams opted to go TE and WR in the middle rounds in 2011, passing on the RB position-looks like that is not working out too well so far. WR Pettis and Salas have not done anything of note, and Kendricks was a preseason star but so far, a regular season flop. They are rookies, and time will tell, but the Rams will really need to take an early/mid round RB in the 2012 draft. Steven Jackson is not getting any younger, and is showing signs of age (quad injury this year, less than 4 YPC last year).

The Rams # 1 draft need (among many) will be a field-stretching WR (have to pick in 1st round), then Offensive line, then RB. If they get a high pick (looks likely), they could swing a trade and get more picks, so several of these needs can be covered in the early/mid rounds. The Rams may also be hiring a new Head Coach after this season (please, not McDaniels) so schemes may change. Nonetheless, they need a decent RB prospect to replace Jackson (even if Jackson is still around a couple more years). Ideally this RB will be able to catch passes, and have both some power between the tackles and some edge speed. He should excel in open space and be able to gain a lot of yards on screen passes, as well as be able to get 1st downs on short yardage. Being a good pass blocker would also be helpful. Bradford needs more effective checkdown options on passing plays, and a guy who can average 5 yards a carry, helping to open up the passing game on play-actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf2300 View Post
    The Rams opted to go TE and WR in the middle rounds in 2011, passing on the RB position-looks like that is not working out too well so far. WR Pettis and Salas have not done anything of note, and Kendricks was a preseason star but so far, a regular season flop. They are rookies, and time will tell, but the Rams will really need to take an early/mid round RB in the 2012 draft. Steven Jackson is not getting any younger, and is showing signs of age (quad injury this year, less than 4 YPC last year).

The Rams # 1 draft need (among many) will be a field-stretching WR (have to pick in 1st round), then Offensive line, then RB. If they get a high pick (looks likely), they could swing a trade and get more picks, so several of these needs can be covered in the early/mid rounds. The Rams may also be hiring a new Head Coach after this season (please, not McDaniels) so schemes may change. Nonetheless, they need a decent RB prospect to replace Jackson (even if Jackson is still around a couple more years). Ideally this RB will be able to catch passes, and have both some power between the tackles and some edge speed. He should excel in open space and be able to gain a lot of yards on screen passes, as well as be able to get 1st downs on short yardage. Being a good pass blocker would also be helpful. Bradford needs more effective checkdown options on passing plays, and a guy who can average 5 yards a carry, helping to open up the passing game on play-actions.
    They should draft Trent Richardson with the high pick they're going to get. The other crappy teams don't really need RBs, except for the Seahawks, but RB should be a secondary concern for them.
    ― Walter Payton