Thread: Anyone else sick of Facebook's attitude toward privacy?

Anyone else sick of Facebook's attitude toward privacy?

Last summer I had to deactivate my Facebook account after someone pretending to be an old high school buddy friended me. This person subsequently hacked my account (my password was, in retrospect, weak). Only when the real version of my old HS pal died of cancer did I discover the presence of this intruder.

This all happened after an actual friend tagged a bunch of my pictures which inadvertenly gave access to my page to people who would have not been able to see it.

I have since started a new FB page and have been much more careful about whom I become friends with. But today I logged in to FB for the first time in a few days and found 22 friend request notifications. Most of them are from people I worked with 20+ years ago including three from a trio of guys I had to fire for stealing.

It turns out that one of these folks posted an album of old pictures from a company party and tagged me in a couple of the shots. I quickly went through the pics and removed the tags. But a few minutes ago I found that someone else went into the same album and tagged me again.

I should not have to work so hard to protect my own name & image. I wish FB would only allow my name to be used with my expressed permission (much like how I have the ability to accept or deny friend requests).

It's nearly impossible to operate in my family and group of friends as they all use Facebook almost exclusively for scheduling events & gatherings. The old tradition of sending a damned email has been put to bed in favor of the ability to congregate and discuss things in a single FB post. And most of these people refuse to use the 'Groups' function within FB which would at least not let anyone on my friends list to see when & where grandma's 90th birthday party will be held.

Sorry to rant like this. But Facebook's cavalier attitude toward privacy really chaps at my behind.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I don't have your problem, Biggie. I have no friends.
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Highly doubt that, brauneyz.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Last summer I had to deactivate my Facebook account after someone pretending to be an old high school buddy friended me. This person subsequently hacked my account (my password was, in retrospect, weak). Only when the real version of my old HS pal died of cancer did I discover the presence of this intruder.

This all happened after an actual friend tagged a bunch of my pictures which inadvertenly gave access to my page to people who would have not been able to see it.

I have since started a new FB page and have been much more careful about whom I become friends with. But today I logged in to FB for the first time in a few days and found 22 friend request notifications. Most of them are from people I worked with 20+ years ago including three from a trio of guys I had to fire for stealing.

It turns out that one of these folks posted an album of old pictures from a company party and tagged me in a couple of the shots. I quickly went through the pics and removed the tags. But a few minutes ago I found that someone else went into the same album and tagged me again.

I should not have to work so hard to protect my own name & image. I wish FB would only allow my name to be used with my expressed permission (much like how I have the ability to accept or deny friend requests).

It's nearly impossible to operate in my family and group of friends as they all use Facebook almost exclusively for scheduling events & gatherings. The old tradition of sending a damned email has been put to bed in favor of the ability to congregate and discuss things in a single FB post. And most of these people refuse to use the 'Groups' function within FB which would at least not let anyone on my friends list to see when & where grandma's 90th birthday party will be held.

Sorry to rant like this. But Facebook's cavalier attitude toward privacy really chaps at my behind.
    Haven't ever had this problem, but I completely understand where you're coming from. FB needs to step it up and make their privacy better. MySpace had a problem with phishing and they were able to pretty much curb it. It seems that FB has become complacent and are unwilling to fix any MAJOR issues. The only thing they care about is completely changing the format of the site as soon as you become used to it.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    yeah I had to delete my MySpace because of hot girls requesting me from Romania and what not, like 5 times a day...I do get requests sometimes from people that are friends of friends, but i have nothing to hide (even though my security is pretty tight)...and what was your password, RIPMILLEN?
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMilk View Post
    yeah I had to delete my MySpace because of hot girls requesting me from Romania and what not, like 5 times a day...I do get requests sometimes from people that are friends of friends, but i have nothing to hide (even though my security is pretty tight)...and what was your password, RIPMILLEN?
    Danny, Danny, Danny. This may be the first successful ringing of the GoBig alarm since last fall.

<assumes fighting stance>

Blog Entries
    haha...any time anyone says something about a fighting stance, I picture the infamous John L Sullivan stance and wonder how he not only beat anyone, but beat EVERYONE haha
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMilk View Post
    Lmao RIPMILLEN
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010