10 Nov 14 NE @ PIT Heinz Field 8:20 PM NBC

11 Nov 21 OAK @ PIT Heinz Field 1:00 PM CBS

12 Nov 28 PIT @ BUF Ralph Wilson Stadium 1:00 PM CBS

13 Dec 05 PIT @ BAL M&T Bank Stadium 8:20 PM NBC

14 Dec 12 CIN @ PIT Heinz Field 1:00 PM CBS

15 Dec 19 NYJ @ PIT Heinz Field 4:15 PM CBS

16 Dec 23 CAR @ PIT Heinz Field 8:20 PM NFLN

17 Jan 02 PIT @ CLE Cleveland Browns Stadium 1:00 PM CBS

Due to flexible scheduling, the kickoff time of games in the latter part of the season are subject to change

The Steelers have the 12th easiest schedule, with their opponents having a combined record last year of 126-130, a winning percentage of .492. Of their first five games, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and Tennessee could be winnable games, but Baltimore and Atlanta will be tough games. If Ben serves a 4 game suspension, I will predict that the Steelers will have a 2-2 records after the first 4 games. If Ben has to serve the full 6 game suspension, I think their season is probably over by the time he returns. The O-line and QB are huge question marks, as well as questions on special teams and defense. I am a Steelers fan, but I agree with Jerome Bettis, who said this season will be an 'uphill battle'.

One person on this site predicted the Steelers to make the playoffs. I predict that the Steelers will start slow (similar to last year), and once Ben returns, they will slowly play better towards the end of the season. However, they will finish 8-8 or 7-9 and miss the playoffs again. However, if they play better than expected, they could take advantage of the fact that they play Cleveland and Carolina for the final 2 games of the season and perhaps surge into the playoffs-this is wishful thinking, though.

One of the big questions I have coming into the season is how effective their running game will be. Mendenhall really stepped it up last year, but the Steelers passing attack was able to make up for lackluster line play (which still sounds odd to me as a Steeler fan). Now that Willie is gone, will Mendenhall be able to carry the load the whole season, or will they go and get a back to spell him occasionally, as opposed to Moore, who is more of a change of pace back.

I think the defense will be fine, and possibly frighteningly good again. Troy and Aaron are back, and Woodley is in a contract year and should be extremely eager to bring the havok.

I'm not sure Cincinnati can put together another good year when they don't sneak up on people, and the Steelers catch some breaks down the stretch, with Ben being back for the game in Baltimore, and the Sanchise coming into the cold of Heinz Field in December.

Blog Entries
    Assuming Ben only sits for 4 games (which seems pretty likely), I can see 2-2 happening or 1-3 at the worst. After that, it's up in the air. They have some easy games on the schedule, but some of these opponents are tough, like playing the Saints in the Superdome. 9-7 seems like the low estimate for me. If they fall asleep in these easy games like they did last year, that record will drop for sure. But I'm going to be optimistic and say double-digit wins for the Steelers this year, and probably a playoff berth. After all, when was the last time the Steelers missed the playoffs twice in a row?

EDIT: If I may answer my own question, the last time the Steelers missed consecutive playoffs was three in a row during the 1998, 1999, and 2000 seasons.
    Last edited by NickMykita; 07-14-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf2300 View Post
    One person on this site predicted the Steelers to make the playoffs. I predict that the Steelers will start slow (similar to last year), and once Ben returns, they will slowly play better towards the end of the season. However, they will finish 8-8 or 7-9 and miss the playoffs again. However, if they play better than expected, they could take advantage of the fact that they play Cleveland and Carolina for the final 2 games of the season and perhaps surge into the playoffs-this is wishful thinking, though.
    I can't see them in the playoffs. They should be able to adjust in Ben's absence, and I can see 3-2 if the defense comes back healthy and creates the opportunities as is their M.O. But that division is ruthless, and there's no reason to think the wild card teams won't come from the South or East if Pitt can't win the division.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

The first 4 games obviously being completely up in the air without Ben, I'll be happy with 3-1, satisfied with 2-2, and still optimistic with 1-3. I'm happy we are playing Atlanta the first game of the year instead of late in the season. Atlanta is on the rise in 2010. While I wish we didn't have any of our division games over the first 4, at least we have Tampa Bay in that first group as well, which is a mismatch in all three phase of the game in favor of the Steelers. If the defense continues to be solid in stopping the run, our matchup should also be favorable against the Titans.
    Just call me Ott.

The Ravens shoule also be without Ed Reed for the week 4 game, which should make it easier on whoever starts. Plus, there's a decent shot Boldin is already hurt by then.

When Dixon played last year I thought he looked pretty good,Whats the word out of steeler nation on who will start during the games Ben will miss?
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
    When Dixon played last year I thought he looked pretty good,Whats the word out of steeler nation on who will start during the games Ben will miss?
    I'm in the minority who want to give the kid a shot and see what he has over a month long period of regular season action. At this point it looks like Byron Leftwich will get the majority of the reps in training camp. Everything I've heard on the QB situation to this point is that Leftwich was brought back to be the starter. I think another important question will be which QB is going to get cut because it's extremely unlikely that the Steelers keep 4 QB's. If Byron is going to be the starter then that means either Charlie Batch or Dixon will be the one who gets booted out of town. Unfortunate because both of those guys are capable of being quality #2 backups in my opinion.
    Just call me Ott.

I agree, I was a bit surprised that the Steelers were not willing to give Dixon a chance to start those 4-6 games. Since the Steelers will (hopefully) be focusing on the run, Dixon would not have to put the whole team's offense on his shoulders. Leftwich will probably do OK as a starter in a run-oriented offense, but I think the Steelers are losing a chance to help develop Dixon as a starting QB. Dixon is not happy about it either, according to his agent's comments (though it would probably have been better to have that conversation with Tomlin privately than to say it publicly).

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers 'go Gruden' and keep 4 QBs, or cut one of them. The Steelers have not kept 4 QBs at any time in the past that I can recall. Since Dixon is younger, it would appear that Batch is the odd man out. I agree that Batch is a decent QB (though it has been a while since he played) but he has lost a couple of steps by this point. The Steelers could keep him around as an extra coach or something after he is cut.