Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Stafford--top QB????

Matthew Stafford--top QB????

If Matthew Stafford can stay healthy, I truly believe that he can be a top QB in the NFL. He's shown insane talent when he's played and has made Detroit competitive. Now that the team has even more talent on their roster and another early draft choice, is this the year Stafford really climbs over the top and becomes the QB Detroit has lacked?
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

I have faith that Stafford is the guy. He reminds me of young John Elway. Last season he looked like the real deal in his limited time on the field.

So long as this bit of tongue-in-cheek ribbing posted in another thread does not prove to be prophetic...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    GoBig can relay the news that Matthew Stafford hurt his shoulder brushing his teeth.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Stafford is talented. A lot of top1 picka are talented. By all I've heard and seen, the kid is humble, hard working, good leader. But until we can see a full season on him, the jury is out. Teams don't have enough tape on him yet, so those flashes might just be Defensive coordinators not adjusting.

He's put up some stinkers up there though.

Opp Rate
    NOR 27.4
    MIN 56.5
    WAS 87.8
    CHI 89.6
    STL 46
    SEA 42.2
    MIN 74.3
    CLE 112.7
    GNB 30.5
    CIN 41
    CHI 86.2
    WAS 90.2
    NYJ 94.7

He made solid progress in year 2, but he only has 13 games started, and those reps are important in QB development.

As a football fan, I want to see him do well. As a Bears fan...I hope he's a bust
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I really like this kid, but those shoulders of his worry me. Couple more injuries there and he'll have arthritis so bad by the time he's 35 he won't be able to brush his teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Stafford is talented. A lot of top1 picka are talented. By all I've heard and seen, the kid is humble, hard working, good leader. But until we can see a full season on him, the jury is out. Teams don't have enough tape on him yet, so those flashes might just be Defensive coordinators not adjusting.

He's put up some stinkers up there though.

Opp Rate
    NOR 27.4
    MIN 56.5
    WAS 87.8
    CHI 89.6
    STL 46
    SEA 42.2
    MIN 74.3
    CLE 112.7
    GNB 30.5
    CIN 41
    CHI 86.2
    WAS 90.2
    NYJ 94.7

He made solid progress in year 2, but he only has 13 games started, and those reps are important in QB development.

As a football fan, I want to see him do well. As a Bears fan...I hope he's a bust
    Thanks for the awesome stats! You have a very good point, but I do remember seeing some stats on ESPN or something showing how when he was in, Detroit scored a ****load more, so at least we know he's better than Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton. Cutler can't say the same about his situ in Chicago...Caleb Hanie anyone??

Blog Entries
    I don't have too many questions about his ability, I only want to know if he right shoulder made of glass.

Seriously, though, dude needs to learn how to fall down properly.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I don't have too many questions about his ability, I only want to know if he right shoulder made of glass.

Seriously, though, dude needs to learn how to fall down properly.
    Yes, he does. The kill shot from Julius Peppers in week #1 was unpreventable. The arm bar Peppers had Stafford in coupled with the angle they came down at was a clinic in how to wreck a QB's shoulder. But the injury against the Jets was avoidable if he knew how to protect himself.

Still can't blame a guy too much for getting hurt in a game. Unless it's a certain NY player. Who needed Joe Girardi to show him how to slide.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Still can't blame a guy too much for getting hurt in a game. Unless it's a certain NY player. Who needed Joe Girardi to show him how to slide.
    Well, to some extent you can. Being able to take a sack or end a run safely is a vital skill for an NFL quarterback. Any player, no matter how valuable, is not much use on the sidelines.

And yeah, GoBig, that injury in the Jets game was not only completely unnecessary, it cost his team a football game.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Well, to some extent you can. Being able to take a sack or end a run safely is a vital skill for an NFL quarterback. Any player, no matter how valuable, is not much use on the sidelines.

And yeah, GoBig, that injury in the Jets game was not only completely unnecessary, it cost his team a football game.
    Drew Stanton's incomplete pass to Jahvid Best cost them the game. That would have been a HUGE win.