Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade for Kolb or draft a QB?

Trade for Kolb or draft a QB?

As Vikings fans, what do you guys want to see happen?? Do you want the Vikings to get Newton/Gabbert/Mallett or would you rather trade a 1st rounder for the proven commodity in Kolb???
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

As a non-Vikings fan, I'd think they'd be wise to trade for a guy who seems to be on the cusp of being an average NFL QB.

Drafting a rookie is dangerous, especially for the Vikings who haven't had a QB Coach or Offensive Coordinator get a word in edge wise for two seasons. These coaches are probably really rusty as they haven't had anyone listen to them in quite some time.

And by the way packa7x - the Vikings fans we had on this site seem to have disappeared after A) Boasting about Favre and the Vikings upcoming Suer Bowl triumph and B) Pissing everyone off.

You are just as likely to find a Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan on here as a Vikes fan.

Well, Pru, I'm not a Vikes fan, per se, but I'll sing a few praises for them. They've got some great talent, and Favre was still the best option for '10, given his production in '09 and TJack in the wings. There, I've said it.

Kolb would probably be a good fit, but let's face it - lockout mess + new coach + uncertain QB means they struggle regardless. Plus, Packers are stocked to kick ass for years, and Bears and Lions are now offering some (small) competition. NFC North got very competitive last year. Kinda fun, and good for the game.

Those western divisions (both) still suck though.
    These are my principles and if you don't like them ... well ... I have others. ~ Groucho

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    As a non-Vikings fan, I'd think they'd be wise to trade for a guy who seems to be on the cusp of being an average NFL QB.

Drafting a rookie is dangerous, especially for the Vikings who haven't had a QB Coach or Offensive Coordinator get a word in edge wise for two seasons. These coaches are probably really rusty as they haven't had anyone listen to them in quite some time.

And by the way packa7x - the Vikings fans we had on this site seem to have disappeared after A) Boasting about Favre and the Vikings upcoming Suer Bowl triumph and B) Pissing everyone off.

You are just as likely to find a Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan on here as a Vikes fan.
    I knew I liked this board. I couldn't figure out why until this post.

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    Well, Pru, I'm not a Vikes fan, per se, but I'll sing a few praises for them. They've got some great talent, and Favre was still the best option for '10, given his production in '09 and TJack in the wings. There, I've said it.

Kolb would probably be a good fit, but let's face it - lockout mess + new coach + uncertain QB means they struggle regardless. Plus, Packers are stocked to kick ass for years, and Bears and Lions are now offering some (small) competition. NFC North got very competitive last year. Kinda fun, and good for the game.

Those western divisions (both) still suck though.
    To quote McCarthy: "The NFC North is competitive as hell."

Blog Entries
    Wait, what? Since when did Kevin Kolb become a proven commodity? If I'm the Vikings I'd actually probably be very open to drafting a QB somewhere in the first two rounds. As this team is currently built, it's not a serious contender anyway. So I see no reason not to draft a QB early, let him sit for a year behind a veteran QB and learn, and then plug him in as a sophomore and see what you have.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Blog Entries
    "So I see no reason not to draft a QB early, let him sit for a year behind a veteran QB and learn"

1) Who's the rookie going to sit behind?

2) See my treatise on 2nd and 3rd round QBs. Executive Summary: Wasted pick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    "So I see no reason not to draft a QB early, let him sit for a year behind a veteran QB and learn"

1) Who's the rookie going to sit behind?

2) See my treatise on 2nd and 3rd round QBs. Executive Summary: Wasted pick.
    1) There are plenty of stop-gap QBs on the market (whenever there is a market this year) such as Bulger, Troy Smith, Kerry Collins, Bruce Gradkowski, and Matt Moore. Stop-gaps can always be found.

2) Brett Favre, Boomer Esiason, Drew Brees, Randall Cunningham, Jake Plummer, Ron Jaworski, and Ken Stabler all beg to differ.

Blog Entries
    @2) Proves the point. Brees was the 33rd player selected, essentially a first rounder. All the other QBs are not of this millenia. Modern scouting techniques. And modern rules which emphasize the importance of a QB. Any QB that MIGHT be a franchise get selected in the first round. Only franchise qbs that get past 1st round are off EVERYONE's radar and are available at 5th round and below.

Kolb is a Franchise Potential QB, probably higher potential than any draftee, certainly higher than anyone other than Cam and Blane, who WON'T be available to you in the 2nd round.

You can't get a franchise QB in the 3rd round anymore...unless he is still there in the 6th.

Blog Entries
    What exactly has Kolb shown that makes you so sure he has franchise potential? Kolb played the majority of five games in 2010 against pass defenses that ranked 31st, 24th, 22nd, 29th, and 26th respectively. He went 2-3 in those games and averaged 62.8% - 234.6 YPG - 81.4 QBR along with a TD:INT of 1:1. Those are some very very average numbers, considering the quality of competition faced.