Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade for Kolb or draft a QB?

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    1) There are plenty of stop-gap QBs on the market (whenever there is a market this year) such as Bulger, Troy Smith, Kerry Collins, Bruce Gradkowski, and Matt Moore. Stop-gaps can always be found.
    Those aren't "stop-gaps"... those are gaps.

I was a Kolb fan until I watched the Eagles-49ers game. I swear I thought Alex Smith was changing uniforms and playing QB for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    "So I see no reason not to draft a QB early, let him sit for a year behind a veteran QB and learn"

1) Who's the rookie going to sit behind?

2) See my treatise on 2nd and 3rd round QBs. Executive Summary: Wasted pick.
    To quote the inimitable clem: "Joe Montana, gretaest QB of all time, drafted in the 3rd round, pees all over this [post]."
    Last edited by GoBigOrGoHome; 03-23-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Sorry. Too old. Let's talk this millennium.

Modern scouting techniques. All possibles will get picked in 1st round by desperate teams. Only total unknowns drop and they will drop to 6th or lower.

QB is too valuable. Back in the 80s there were still star RBs and players could TACKLE the quarterback. That's a long time ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    What exactly has Kolb shown that makes you so sure he has franchise potential? Kolb played the majority of five games in 2010 against pass defenses that ranked 31st, 24th, 22nd, 29th, and 26th respectively. He went 2-3 in those games and averaged 62.8% - 234.6 YPG - 81.4 QBR along with a TD:INT of 1:1. Those are some very very average numbers, considering the quality of competition faced.
    Perhaps I am over-estimating Kolb's potential. We might be arguing two different questions. Do you think someone in the draft is a HIGHER probability of being a franchise QB than Kolb?
    If so, whom?

I also think some 2009 Kolb fill-ins did well, but I am unprepared to do a Kolb defense. Who do you think is better? Not could be better, but is more probable, right now.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps I am over-estimating Kolb's potential. We might be arguing two different questions. Do you think someone in the draft is a HIGHER probability of being a franchise QB than Kolb?
    If so, whom?

I also think some 2009 Kolb fill-ins did well, but I am unprepared to do a Kolb defense. Who do you think is better? Not could be better, but is more probable, right now.
    I think there are several in the Draft with a higher probability of becoming a franchise QB. Gabbert and Locker for certain, and I would begrudingly say that Cam Newton's chances are about even with Kolb's. I also think Mallett could be better, but I wouldn't bet on him over Kolb as far as who I think is more likely to be that guy.

Also in regard to his 2009 showings, he went 1-1 in two starts against the 26th and 22nd ranked pass defenses and averaged 65.7% - 359 YPG - 96.9 QBR and a TD:INT ratio of 4:3. The numbers are definitely better, but from a smaller sample size against a still mediocre slate of opponents. Just as a comparison against a good pass defense, when Kolb took over for an injured McNabb in 2009 against Carolina (4th best pass defense that year), he went 7-11 for 23 yards (a whopping 2.09 YPA) with a QBR of 67.6.

I'm not saying Kolb can't or won't be a franchise QB, I'm just saying that I haven't seen what everybody else is apparently seeing that makes it a slam dunk.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

If so, whom?

I tend to agree. The advantage that kolb has is that he's played in the league and has played under a good offensive coach. Much smaller learning curve. I think that unless the offer was too good to refuse, that the eagles should hold on to him. He's slated to make a couple million this year and as back up QBs go, is certainly top tier. and who among us feels that Vick will be able to play 16 games and/or stay out of trouble?