Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Forte in 2010

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Matt Forte in 2010

Matt Forte successfully arrived in the NFL in 2008 and the Bears benefited from it. The RB comes from Tulane, which is also the alma mater of NBC Sports' Gregg Rosenthal, and made the university proud in his rookie year but slipped off in 2009.

Some numbers I ran off NFL.com show the drop-off in production for Forte in 2009. Matt (not talking third person we're still on Forte) had eight Rushing TDs rushing in 2008 and only four in 2009. In 2008, Matt rushed for 1,238 yards but rushed for 929 in 2009. Worst of all, Matt fumbled the ball only once in 2008 but coughed up the rock six times in 2009 and lost it three times.

I feel like Matt was in the dreaded sophmore slump like, another Good Matt, Matt Ryan & Joe Flacco. However, I think the Bears overall underchieved last year and didn't impress anybody. I predict Matt will be very comfortable in Mike Martz' offense and will take steps forward to become a Fantasy Football Star & bring some attention around the league to his team. I think he will be in the Pro Bowl but as a Reserve. I think the Bears will get a Wild Card berth, save Lovie Smith's job and got 8-8 to many people's surprise.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    I don't know of too many people here in Chicago that are worried about Forte. I personally believe he will be back and better than ever. Martz coming in is important, an assumed Cutler improvement will also take pressure off of Forte, and I really think bringing in Taylor will help Forte in the long run.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

You think 8-8 will get to the playoffs in the NFC this year? I'm not sure.

Blog Entries
    No, it won't...I think whoever wins the head to head between Bears Packers makes a wild card, and the Falcons are the other wild card...then Vikings, Saints, Niners, Cowboys

Blog Entries
    The addition of Chester Taylor is a big plus for the Bears offense, great third down back, although Mike Martz doesn't always keep as many blockers in as the West Coast scheme Chester was in. Look for Taylor to get the rock more, which would help Forte.

Blog Entries
    While I am not worried too much about Forte, it could be a year Bears brass makes decisions on him anyway. I really think he had a nagging injury all year last year. He was not running as hard and missed a lot of burst that we saw in 2008. His trademark of making small moves to make guys miss was not there last year, either. Management should whether or not if he was playing with an injury and should take that into consideration. I do not think the Chester Taylor is much of a comment on Forte; it is a comment that the Bears are joining the NFL trend of a two back system. The fear of the rule of 360 and such has pushed the NFL to that trend.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    Well, also a back up plan in Taylor in case Forte gets hurt again

Yes, the injury was obviously a big deal and hurt Forte's production a lot. Along the same lines, I think it can't be understated how bad the offensive line played last year. Just by the law of averages as well as no longer having Zombie Orlando Pace on the line, I can't expect to be as bad as it was last year (hopefully). I expect a nice bounce-back year from Forte. In addition, Forte had 63 catches his rookie year, 57 catches last year. Martz is going to find a way to use him not only as a runner but also as a receiver (a poor man's Marshall Faulk, so to speak).

Blog Entries
    I think in the long run this team will need to prove itself with the resurging NFC by showing they can beat good teams in and out of their division especially on the national stage. Also, they have to prove that the year they went to the Super Bowl wasn't a fluke the way it's made out to be and that wrong-prover would be Lovie Smith. I think the Bears want to see that & if they don't, they will unfortunate fire him by the end of 2010.

Lovie's a Good Man & knows some Football--But It's Put Up or Get Out time for Men like him in the NFL. After all, as they say, it is a Business.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBearsFan View Post
    Yes, the injury was obviously a big deal and hurt Forte's production a lot. Along the same lines, I think it can't be understated how bad the offensive line played last year. Just by the law of averages as well as no longer having Zombie Orlando Pace on the line, I can't expect to be as bad as it was last year (hopefully). I expect a nice bounce-back year from Forte. In addition, Forte had 63 catches his rookie year, 57 catches last year. Martz is going to find a way to use him not only as a runner but also as a receiver (a poor man's Marshall Faulk, so to speak).
    So, it's not good to have a left tackle who can't bend over anymore? Let alone one to attempt drive blocking.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast