Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl hangover

Super Bowl hangover

Over the last decade the team the lost the Super Bowl has a tough time the next year. Doesn't really seem like the Colts' style. They've won 10+ games each of the last 8 years. Few things would surprise me more than the Colts finishing below .500 this year. Doesn't seem like Peyton has ever lacked self-motivation, but I'm sure he's more than a little bothered by the way last year ended.
    Last edited by Andy Freeland; 06-01-2010 at 01:14 PM.

2. SB Hangover

I totally agree with you. I was thinking about this in the offseason and wondering about these effects and how the Colts were probably going to react quite a bit different because of the personality and philosophy of the organization. Caldwell, Manning, etc. are so steady and so disciplined, as well as the entire culture of the Colts, that I think they will bounce right back with a vengeance.

I would be very suprised to not see the Colts in the SB again this year, hopefully winning it. As already mentioned, Manning doesn't need much to motivate him, and with the loss, it will be the driving force behind him. He is a class act and a true leader, and will drive his team to accept nothing but the best. It will be fun to watch them. Dwight Freeney was just quoted about being excited about hitting Tim Tebow, and others in the LA Times. So it seems, they already gearing up.

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but I don't remember seeing Peyton in as many new commercials this year. I understand that might change once the season starts, but I just haven't seen as much of him. I wonder if that's by design, a conscious choice towards more football and less celebrity after the SB loss.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...owl-scapegoat/

An Indy columnist has tried to pin some of the blame for the Super Bowl loss on backup RB Mike Hart (huh?). As I recall, Hart did not throw the game-losing interception, and Hart was not the WR who failed to block out the defender and prevent the interception. Hart was not the guy calling offensive plays that seem to have become too predictable. Peyton Manning deserves a lot of credit for getting the Colts to the Super Bowl, but he and Reggie Wayne were responsible for the key interception that put the game out of reach for the Colts. Why were the Colts special teams so surprised by the onsides kick at the start of the 2nd half-that was more the fault of coaching and less the fault of a startled Hank Basket (trying to make an improbable recovery). The Colts were outplayed and outcoached in the Super Bowl-sometimes your bad day happens on the biggest day. As a Steelers fan, I still cringe at the Steelers laying an egg against the Cowboys in the 1996 Super Bowl. Winning 2 Super Bowls later on has helped lessen the pain, however-all the Colts can do is move forward.

If I were a Colts fan, I would be concerned that there is not really a QB behind Peyton Manning. Curtis Painter failed to impress anyone in his brief appearance last year. If Peyton goes down for more than one game, the Colts season is over. Why did the Colts not pursue a backup QB in the draft or in free agency (Derek Anderson and Mark Bulger are not marquee QBs but could probably manage the game and move the ball downfield in a pinch)? Also, what changes will the Colts make to their offensive packages, so as to avoid pick-six TD returns in key situations?

the only thing that scares me is the same,if Manning went down,Curtis Painter.....

Guys It's a team effort. We would not be at the Super Bowl in the first place without Peyton
    [URL="http://www.reservationforsix.com"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="red"]www.reservationforsix.com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

Blog Entries
    I think of the Colts staff as having a low key approach to preparation, in the mold of Tony Dungy. That will help them cope with the loss (and losing in the Super Bowl is devastating). If you don't get too high, you shouldn't get too down either. I'm sure the coaches have spent extra time self scouting, as I'm sure Peyton has, so they'll be ok.

I'm sure the Colts will be more motivated then ever
    [URL="http://www.reservationforsix.com"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="red"]www.reservationforsix.com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

Blog Entries
    While it's true that there is a "loser's jinx" about the Super Bowl, there is a lot to be said about the hangover that befalls the victor. Sometimes both happen in the same season, like in 2003 when neither the Tampa Bay Buccaneers nor the Oakland Raiders made the playoffs after appearing in the previous SB. I expect both Indy and New Orleans will make a return trip to the postseason, but to put either of them back in the SB is a bit premature, I think. It will depend on other teams that emerge over the course of the season.