Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Franchise MVP 2000-2009

Blog Entries

Franchise MVP 2000-2009

There are a lot of players that define a franchise. Montana the 49ers, Elway the Broncos, and Marino the Dolphins. What about the past decade? Who do you think defined the organization you root for the most, and who was the most valuable? For my team, the Bears, it has to be Urlacher. Following a hall of fame tradition at the linebacker position in Chicago, Urlacher defined what being a Chicago Bear is all about.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Eagles are kind of a no-brainer, and that we just traded him for a draft pick is a pretty sad but accurate commentary on both the franchise and the player. They were mirrors of each other.

The McEagles were good but never great. Very high-highs, and very deep lows. It only makes sense that they part ways to usher in the new decade, but I'll always miss McNabb.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

Under McNabb the lows were never THAT low. Be for real. He was great, he just didn't win the superbowl. He posted positive numbers and consistently made solid playoff runs. He deserved better from the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    Under McNabb the lows were never THAT low. Be for real. He was great, he just didn't win the superbowl. He posted positive numbers and consistently made solid playoff runs. He deserved better from the fans.
    They were only low because of the promise of being great. It's not fair to place the blame squarely on McNabb's shoulders, but such is being the franchise quarterback. I'll agree that the lows were never that low, but that's the relative prism that we've been been looking at the Eagles through for a number of years. The Super Bowl, the injuries, tying the Bengals, and the 0-2 this past season against Dallas in the last two games. It was time for change, and we all knew it was coming.

I agree he deserves better from the fans. The way we treated him for the years he served the team made me embarrassed to be an Eagles fan at times, but I'll always hang onto my #5 jersey. The entitlement we've had as a team for the past few seasons and as a fan base might be in for a bumpy ride with the personnel changes.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

As long as an Eagles fan is willing to see that he was treated unfairly and that the team wasn't ever that bad. I get that he had it coming with some of the mishaps over the past couple years. But why did the Eagles' faithful become so entitled and expecting of being #1 every year? Who convinced you guys that McNabb would be your savior? If it was the ownership then maybe they should get some blame too.

I mean, the guy was booed on draft day and it only got WORSE - it's not even a conversation about whether McNabb got a fair shake or not. I can't really comment about the entitlement or Anti-Sainthood McNabb found himself in - I've been cheering for the team since I was about six but only seriously started following since just before McNabb was drafted. There might be some deep roots of an inferiority complex for us in our conference, so maybe we became that much more furious when we were finally the best team but unable to capitalize with a title.

The recent LeBracle reminded me of hearing that the Eagles had traded McNabb to the Redskins. I understood the decision, and I have no ill-will towards the guy, but as a sports fan it just makes me want to take a shower, especially because now I am 2-for-2 with the teams responsible - obvious the Eagles, and I live in downtown Miami across from the Heat arena (by no means a fan but a frequent observer with humble musings). Obviously I want my teams to get better, but feeling like the villain and cutting ties the way it happened...ugh I need a drink.

I think the defining character of the Browns the last decade has been "The Back-Up QB". Now, mind you, no actual name in particular. Just the position. That's the guy everybody always wants to play as if he'll (whoever it is) will save us from the misery. The best player on the Team is, and has been, Joe Thomas. Also, he was they're best draft selection. we just haven't had a good enough decade to have a defining player. Hell, we haven't had a positive franchise player since the 80's with Newsome and Kosar. HELP ME!!!!!
    [I]There's always next year[/I]

For the Giants it can't be anyone other than the gap-toothed destroyer himself, BIG OL' MICHAEL STRAHANNNN

Blog Entries
    Wow, over Tiki? Just curious, I don't disagree or anything, just wonderin what the thought process is as a Giant fan
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

It's simple for Giant fans, because this is a team that always has celebrated its defense first. Add that to the fact that as much as we loved Tiki as a player, there was always something off about him, and winning the SB w/out him validated all those misgivings we had. It's funny because when I saw this post, Strahan immediately came to mind, and I didn't even think of Tiki until he was mentioned.