Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Franchise MVP 2000-2009

Chargers were synonomous with LaDainian Tomlinson for the decade. He was the man after joining the league in 2001. Seeing him in a Jets uniform is going to be hard to stomach.
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or ****** beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

As a Colts fan, its easily Peyton Manning-
    [B][I]"You tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is never try."- Homer Simpson[/I][/B]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kotar44 View Post
    It's simple for Giant fans, because this is a team that always has celebrated its defense first. Add that to the fact that as much as we loved Tiki as a player, there was always something off about him, and winning the SB w/out him validated all those misgivings we had. It's funny because when I saw this post, Strahan immediately came to mind, and I didn't even think of Tiki until he was mentioned.
    gotchya very interesting!
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMilk View Post
    There are a lot of players that define a franchise. Montana the 49ers, Elway the Broncos, and Marino the Dolphins. What about the past decade? Who do you think defined the organization you root for the most, and who was the most valuable? For my team, the Bears, it has to be Urlacher. Following a hall of fame tradition at the linebacker position in Chicago, Urlacher defined what being a Chicago Bear is all about.

I hate the term Most Valuable Player (MVP). I know it's been around for years, but what does it really mean in the concept of a team sport. As mentioned above was Strahan more valuable than Barber? Weren't both needed to accomplish their mission? Is defense more important than offense or vice versa? Is a QB more important than a WR or RB? Where do offensive linemen fit into the picture?

What's the proper definition or should the title (MVP) be something else?
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Blog Entries
    yeah, I wanted to go with most defining face, but I figured MVP was easier. I agree, I get in arguments a lot because usually the "best" gets the award, but I'm not sure that means he was the most valuable. Also, if you break down the end word, value...could that mean if you drafted a guy in the 6th round, and he became a Hall of Famer, and he came cheap for some of his best years, that would make him value-able haha
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

6. The best franchise player has to be Scott Pioli. He turned a so so team into a real team. Without the defense, it would be nothing. His moves with the offense were good as well. Now that is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by buzmeg View Post
    I hate the term Most Valuable Player (MVP). I know it's been around for years, but what does it really mean in the concept of a team sport. As mentioned above was Strahan more valuable than Barber? Weren't both needed to accomplish their mission? Is defense more important than offense or vice versa? Is a QB more important than a WR or RB? Where do offensive linemen fit into the picture?

What's the proper definition or should the title (MVP) be something else?
    I mean MVP is always such an arbitrary procedure, and you know it's always going to a skill position. The QB wins predominantly, I would think, because they craft the RB/WR a sizable portion, perhaps not as much as their individual skill but a significant amount to be sure. But who protects the QB? Who writes the QB's plays? Who writes the plays that protect the QB?

If you dig too deep, all you get is dirty
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Resdog154 View Post
    Chargers were synonomous with LaDainian Tomlinson for the decade. He was the man after joining the league in 2001. Seeing him in a Jets uniform is going to be hard to stomach.
    I would nominate LDT as well, although he fell off after 2007, the years he put in were fantastic. I would go so far as to nominate him for MVFP (Fantasy Player) along with Peyton, McNabb, Brady and Portis perhaps?

LDT won me one title outright and contributed significantly to a second. Always a special place for him in the 00's.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

Blog Entries
    No, really, who would it be for the Browns? As a symbol, maybe Spurgeon Wynn? Is it Cribbs because he has been the most exciting, even with only three impactful seasons?

For the Bears. Yes, Urlacher, no question.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

In all seriousness, it's Cribbs. He's the most dynamic player on the team and the Browns always have good field positin when he returns the ball. When the Browns beat the Steelers last year, it was because of Cribbs. They ran that direct snap to him over and over, he always ran left. The Steelers KNEW what he was going to do and couldn't stop it.
    [I]There's always next year[/I]