Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norv Turner

and again...and again (from 50)...

I find laughing at it sometimes makes it easier to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I know some Chargers' fans aren't thrilled with Turner, but 32-16 in the regular season, 3-3 in the playoffs and they want to fire the guy for not winning the Super Bowl in 3 years? I don't get it.
    I agree wholeheartedly, Andy. I don't understand certain teams' entitlement issues. Marty Schottenheimer, maligned as he may be for his lack of playoff success, is the third winningest coach all time. The Chargers threw him out after he went 14-2. 14-2! Same with the Eagles thinking McNabb sucks after years of exciting games and solid playoff runs. The leash for success has grown so short over the years that I don't think some guys get a fair shake.

I think he has the same perception probem as say a wade phillips.Also Remember Dungy was fired by tampa because he was "stuck" in payoffs and not super-bowls
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

I too have a critic of Norv Turner, I've always thought he was more of a O coordinator maybe I'm wrong if you look at these most Charger teams they have done it all bcus of the passing game, no running game and questionable defense, really what can you expect these Charger teams have looked alot better on paper than they really were but let' let off Norv a lil bit until the put a team on the field that can play some D
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

In spite of the premature playoff exits, I believe that Norv has helped the Chargers maintain their contender status. The Chargers have been amazing on offense since he took over. Norv has also been a large part of PR's development into one of the top QBs in the league. The team doesn't seem to lose close games in which they have the possession of the ball towards the end of the game. The only drop off since Norv has been head coach has been on defense (the run game has suffered due to injuries and declining production from the once phenomenal LdT).

People argue that with all the talent on the Chargers roster they should be perennial contenders, and I have to agree with this point. The Chargers are very talented and sometimes seem to lose their heads in pressure situations. Is it the job of the coach to take control of those moments and rein in the players or is this the job of the veteran leadership on the team? Norv sometimes reminds me of Coach Kline from 'the Waterboy' in his demeanor. He is a brilliant Xs and Os guy, but lacks that stereotypical Coach's Fire that we see from most coaches on Sundays. I think that with with some good health, Norv is a good enough coach that can lead the Chargers to win the Superbowl.

I was physically ill when he missed those this time. Unbelievable, major choke from the most accurate kicker in the league. I wont trust him in the playoffs anymore. Let's hope SD has a running game and defense this year so we wont have to depend on him.

Quote Originally Posted by rpaustex View Post
    I was physically ill when he missed those this time. Unbelievable, major choke from the most accurate kicker in the league. I wont trust him in the playoffs anymore. Let's hope SD has a running game and defense this year so we wont have to depend on him.
    I was sitting in the rainy wet stadium Keading's rookie season when he missed the OT field goal. A couple seasons passed and I regained the confidence only to get gut punched again. Not sure if I'll ever have faith in Keading again. The Chargers will need touchdowns not field goal attempts!
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or ****** beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Keading makes those playoff kicks, we aren't having this discussion.

It really is amazing how much impact a missed kick can have. (Bills fan here - believe me, I know).

What amazes me is that they brought him back to the Chargers this year. Doesn't he hold some kind of record for consecutive playoff games with a miss?

There's loyalty, then there's stupidity.

I loved Marty... He doesn't get enough respect. He knew how to build a team, maybe not win in the playoffs but thats not his fault, you know? I really hope to see him on the sidelines again but he probably never will be.
    “The year we beat Miami in the Super Bowl, ... do you know how many defensive linemen were in our rotation? Nine, and we used them all quite a bit. We just wore the Dolphins out.”

~Bill Walsh

Watching from afar, Norv Turner just does not appear to be confident in his own abilities as a head coach and I think that lack of the 'it' factor hurts that team. They play in a division that frequently, in recent years, has served up at least four scrimmages a season. Each one of those games against the Chiefs & Raiders is as close to an extra bye week as an NFL team can get.

They get into the playoffs and meet some stiff competition and fold up like cheap tent. That is on the coach.

But, be careful what you wish for, Chargers fans. Running out a winning coach, no, TWO winning coaches might lead to some really bad karma.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.