2008:: 8 wins; 1-1 in playoffs
    2009: 13 wins; 0-1 in playoffs

Marty's

2002:: 8 wins; missed playoffs
    2003:: 4 wins; missed playoffs
    2004: 12 wins; 0-1 in playoffs
    2005:: 9 wins; missed playoffs
    2006: 14 wins; 0-1 in playoffs

As much as I cringed when the Chargers hired Norv Turner, I have grown to appreciate what he has done in San Diego. He brought us playoff wins which Marty did not do and he has managed to make the playoffs each season with the team. I'm still not sure Norv is the coach who can bring a Super Bowl to San Diego, and I may be in the minority, but I think he's done a pretty good job taking over a talented team and keeping them on the right track. What do you guys think?
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or ****** beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

I know some Chargers' fans aren't thrilled with Turner, but 32-16 in the regular season, 3-3 in the playoffs and they want to fire the guy for not winning the Super Bowl in 3 years? I don't get it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks ResDawg!! (Spelled Dawg on purpose!)

I appreciate the breakdown because that is a very valid point; Turner has been an enemy for his lack of wins & I was too one of those who was not a fan of his. I respect Norv but thought that he was not the guy who could bring home the Super Bacon like Marty could have. But Norv did bring in more playoff wins including against the Colts!!

Norv is like Wade Philips where he doesn't impress people with the records or history in the playoffs but this time around have done things that their storied predecessors didn't---Win in the playoffs! Marty didn't get to or win in the playoffs but Norv did for SD. Parcells didn't win or make the playoffs in Big D but Wade did last year!
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    Norv just seems a little too easy going, like Wade, to bring home the Lombardi. Adjusting his record for the weak division, I'm not that impressed. Maybe if he gets some very vocal veteran leadership from somewhere, like a Ray Lewis type of guy, that would maybe give them that intangible they lack. (Toughness? Mental toughness?) I don't get that feeling from Rivers and certainly not from Merriman. Who's the leader of their defense? that's whose got to fill the void.

Blog Entries
    Nobody's ever questioned the Xs and Os...just seems like he underachieves, even with that record. I think if we brought the Charger Offense here to Chicago, and brought Norm along and Rivera back, it would be a tough team to beat! haha
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    Norv just seems a little too easy going, like Wade, to bring home the Lombardi. Adjusting his record for the weak division, I'm not that impressed. Maybe if he gets some very vocal veteran leadership from somewhere, like a Ray Lewis type of guy, that would maybe give them that intangible they lack. (Toughness? Mental toughness?) I don't get that feeling from Rivers and certainly not from Merriman. Who's the leader of their defense? that's whose got to fill the void.
    This is probably the most uninformed assessment. How do you adjust one coach's record and not the other? This is a head to head comparison and you have to look at the playoff wins. Also factor that they play a 1st place schedule nearly every year and that should balance the weak division portion. You dont get the feeling Rivers has mental toughness? That sounds like you either dont watch them or just dont like him. Did you see the Giant game last year? Int in the last minutes of the game in his own end only to come back with the game winning drive to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I know some Chargers' fans aren't thrilled with Turner, but 32-16 in the regular season, 3-3 in the playoffs and they want to fire the guy for not winning the Super Bowl in 3 years? I don't get it.
    I think most of the noise from fans was what appeared to be a total lack of discipline and focus against the Jets. Everything seemed to be coming together last year and to see them fall so flat was painful.

The lack of a run game killed them more than anything else against the Jets. The fact is that 2 rushing first downs is never going to win a playoff game. I will blame Norv for continuing to give the ball to LDT, but I'm not sure what his options were. Rivers had his second most throwing attempts all season which shouldn't have been necessary in a tight game. You can't throw on every play, but it was obvious they couldn't move the ball on the ground. Of course if Keading manages to convert on 30 and 36 yard field goals, the game may have had a different complexion.
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or ****** beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Quote Originally Posted by Resdog154 View Post
    The lack of a run game killed them more than anything else against the Jets. The fact is that 2 rushing first downs is never going to win a playoff game. I will blame Norv for continuing to give the ball to LDT, but I'm not sure what his options were. Rivers had his second most throwing attempts all season which shouldn't have been necessary in a tight game. You can't throw on every play, but it was obvious they couldn't move the ball on the ground. Of course if Keading manages to convert on 30 and 36 yard field goals, the game may have had a different complexion.
    And wasnt that painful? His miss in OT against the Jets his rookie year hurt but was somewhat forgivable being a rookie. Now he is the most accurate kicker in the NFl and falls apart at home.

Very painful. Had a chance to redeem himself against the same team and came up short again.