Thread: Who will the Saints sign as their Back-up QB?

Who will the Saints sign as their Back-up QB?

My money is on Patrick Ramsey.

Whoever it is, they need to have some veteran experience. With the players on the roster now, if Brees goes down you can stick a fork in the season.

Yup... the team is pretty Brees-dependent.

I can't even imagine Brees going down.

As the locals would say: "Don't you put that gris-gris on Brees now!"

And I think the team's morale would be crushed too. They might play well in the Superdome, but I could see them just falling apart on the road.

With their free-agent handcuffs about to be removed, the New Orleans Saints are prepared to sign backup QB Patrick Ramsey this week, according to a league source.

The Saints have been restricted to this point from signing other free agents by the CBA limitations placed on teams that finished in the final eight in this uncapped year. But those rules are relaxed beginning Thursday, and the Saints are prepared to sign Ramsey shortly after that.

Patrick Ramsey, QB

Career Statistics
    Seasons 9
    Yards: 5,930
    TD/INT: 35/30
    Ramsey, a native of Louisiana, worked out for the Saints early this offseason. New Orleans has a drastically inexperienced roster at quarterback behind All-Pro starter Drew Brees, with just Chase Daniel (entering his second year after playing virtually none as a rookie), and rookie Sean Canfield.

The Super Bowl champions want someone with starting experience to provide much-needed security -- Daniel, undrafted out of Missouri, and Canfield, a seventh-round pick out of Oregon State, have yet to throw an NFL pass.

Ramsey, 31, is a former first-round pick for the Washington Redskins who has spent nine years in the league. He is a cerebral quarterback with a live arm, but has not played with any regularity since 2004, and has started just one game since then. Ramsey spent time as a reserve with Detroit and Tennessee last season
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

It's tempting to say it doesn't matter. Much like the Colts, the Saints are so dependent on their QB that if he goes down, the season is lost. That might be true, might not. But even if it is, what if he's not lost for the year? What if he's out for 5 games in the beginning or middle of the season? Having a QB that can win 2-3 of those games would keep them in contention until Brees gets back. Even if Brees is just out for the 2nd half of one game, that one game could be the difference between the #1 and #2 seed. I know Ramsey hasn't played much recently, but he has the arm and the experience to keep them in a game. More importantly, who else is out there?

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    I'll take ramsey, I always felt he could be a solid guy if he had the right players. I mean he never was working with the greatest cast over with the skins. Great D at that time but no big WRs. And we do have chase daniel...but I'm not the biggest big 12 guy!
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

Yep, Patrick Ramsey was right. Good call.

Link

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    Jimmy Graham - It's all about the U! (miami) This guy could be pretty awesome with some time under his belt. He's a biiiig dude.
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]