Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the Lions really need secondary help?

Do the Lions really need secondary help?

I know as a fan of a team we tend to love the unproven young guys on the team. Example being one of my good friends is absolutely obsessed with Jerome Simpson and still thinking Chris Perry should get a better chance for the Bengals.

But with that understanding, I still don't know if the Lions have to have FA secondary player. (As long as Chris Houston is back). With Delmas Coleman Speivey and Philips at safety I feel good. No one is a killer stand out and there are some good solid vets and some young guys with what could be great upside.

At CB of course we would have Houston who is an above average corner. And for the young and great upside I like Alphonso Smith and Aaron Berry. Potentially, Tye Hill and Prince Miller. with Houston and Vasher being the vets.

I do think the CB could use some upgrades, but nothing major is a must. The must in my opinion comes from the OLB support.

They signed erik Coleman after he got released by Atlanta. That is a start. When he signed, he was quoted saying that the defensive line was a big draw. Let's hope other guys feel the same way (I know I would). In a division with Aaron Rodgers & Jay Cutler, the Lions need serious coverage skills.

I still think a CB would be nice. But concur on OLB.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    A little bit of advanced statistic research here...

Nathan Vasher - 47% Stop Rate
    Alphonso Smith - 43% Stop Rate
    Louis Delmas - 36% Stop Rate
    Chris Houston - 35% Stop Rate
    Amari Spievey - 20% Stop Rate

All of that courtesy of Football Outsiders. So the secondary obviously needs some upgrades, but Vasher and Smith could be serviceable. It's the depth behind them that is most worrisome.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    A little bit of advanced statistic research here...

Nathan Vasher - 47% Stop Rate
    Alphonso Smith - 43% Stop Rate
    Louis Delmas - 36% Stop Rate
    Chris Houston - 35% Stop Rate
    Amari Spievey - 20% Stop Rate

All of that courtesy of Football Outsiders. So the secondary obviously needs some upgrades, but Vasher and Smith could be serviceable. It's the depth behind them that is most worrisome.
    AS the Packers learned 2 years ago, your 3rd CB needs to be just as good as your 2nd, and better in space to cover the slot reciever. Multiple WR set's kills team that don't have depth.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post
    AS the Packers learned 2 years ago, your 3rd CB needs to be just as good as your 2nd, and better in space to cover the slot reciever. Multiple WR set's kills team that don't have depth.
    The net defenseive YPA of the Lions last year was 5.7 YPA, versus a league average of 5.8. So it wasn't terrible.

The Lions were passed on 55.9% of the time, when the league average is to be targetted 57% of the time with passes.

On those numbers, the Lions pass defense was average. Of course there run defense was subpar, allowing 4.5 YPC versus an everage of 4.2 YPC, so that might explain why there pass defense wasn't targetted more.

You'd have to look to some more situational stats, as for example they allowed 7.2 YPA when on 3rd and 3-8 yards to go, and 8.1 YPA when faced with 3rd and 9+. So on obvious pass situations, they were a leaky defense. As mentioned, that's better handled by adding depth and trusting a strong front 4, than breaking the bank and going for a Nmadi.

What made the Packers secondary devastating in the postseason was that Sam Shields apaprently was not much of a letdown compared to the veteran CBs, so there wasn't a weakness to target when overloading with WR.

The reason why the Bears pass defense was good is because Brian Urlacher is so good at covering. You never know if he's playing safety or MLB, so the Bears didn't have to go to Nickel packages that much.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

I don't think the Lions should break the bank for Nnamdi, I personally would like to see Joseph the free agent corner from the Bengals he is a good young corner who could really help our d I believe.
    "Last year, we gained respect. This year, we want fear." - Ndamukong Suh.

The Lions came to an agreement with Eric Wright (from Cleveland) late yesterday. If they can re-sign Chris Houston, that will help a lot. Alphonso Smith is starting the year on the PUP list with a broken foot. So he'll miss the first six games. After that, it's a bunch of dudes from the scrap heap at CB. Delmas is solid at FS. But SS Amari Spievey sucks something awful. So we also need safety help along with some depth. Guys are going to get hurt and the Lions have got to be able to plug some holes.

I like the Justin Durant signing at LB. But I am still holding out hope for Stephen Tulloch (and please, God, keep Nick Barnett away).

The spot which concerns me most is LT. Jeff Backus had surgery on his torn pectoral muscle and the timetable for his return is uncertain. Not good. Not good at all.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Eric Wright is a talented player. He had a really rough season last year and the fans in Cleveland really got on him for it. To be fair to the fans, he did get burned a lot in coverage.

To be fair to Wright, though, Rob Ryan's needlessly complex 3-4, which constantly brought exotic blitz packages and still didn't generate any pass rush, didn't do Eazy E any favors.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    To answer your original question, yes, the Lions really need secondary help.
    @kocsan

While the lions greatly improved last year, they still ranked in the bottom third in defensive passer rating and yards per attempt. These are the 2 best measures of the defensive backs ability to limit big pass plays. Here's a good link that breaks it down and kinda hypes up the lions future. A must read for lions fans for sure!! Still the biggest improvement in that d will cone from the backfield. The front 7 was decent and just got much better thru the draft and a few fa signings. Schwartz has his head on straight and is doing good stuff.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...contender.html