Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Bengals repeat?

Hybrid View

Can the Bengals repeat?

As long as they can take care of business outside of the division, then certainly yes. Here's is their record in the division with Palmer under center:

Against Cleveland: 8-2
    Against Baltimore: 8-3
    Against Pittsburgh: 4-6

They should be able to expect at least 4, possibly 5 wins from the division. On paper Tampa and Carolina should be wins too.

Then you just have to split the other remaining games:

At NE (winnable, with or without Welker)
    At ATL (tough, but winnable)
    At Indy (gonna be tough to win in Indy)
    At Jets (depends on if its the early jets or late jets from last year)
    Saints (a toughy, but they get them at home in december. better running team wins)
    Chargers (again, the chargers outside in late december doesn't scare me)

Anything from 9-12 wins is realistic IMO.

I completely agree. Barring major injury to critical positions, and if the defense stays solid, the oline improves, the WR's play like I hope, the pass rush improves and the RB's continue to pound the ball...I think its damn near a lock.

I haven't looked at the schedule in depth yet to do the wins and losses prognostication thing. As a long-time fan I'm optimistic but a lot of what's been said during the off-season regarding a successful '10 campaign relies on rookies and acquisitions performing at a high level. Will the O-line pass blocking improve? Can A. Smith get on the field and remain injury-free? Will Bryant's knee hold up and will he be better than Coles last year? Is Palmer done? Will Benson get suspended? Can Brat call a play that involves a Tight End? Marvin's contract... R. William's arm... Rey's leg.... the list of questions is lengthy and at this point most are yet to have reliable answers. I desprately WANT to believe they can repeat but objectively I don't see it. It kills me to say it but, barring injuries, I think Baltimore wins the division with the Bengals getting a Wild Card berth. And then anything can happen and hopefully will!
    Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 07-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KyBengalFan View Post
    I haven't looked at the schedule in depth yet to do the wins and losses prognostication thing. As a long-time fan I'm optimistic but a lot of what's been said during the off-season regarding a successful '10 campaign relies on rookies and acquisitions performing at a high level. Will the O-line pass blocking improve? Can A. Smith get on the field and remain injury-free? Will Bryant's knee hold up and will he be better than Coles last year? Is Palmer done? Will Benson get suspended? Can Brat call a play that involves a Tight End? Marvin's contract... R. William's arm... Rey's leg.... the list of questions is lengthy and at this point most are yet to have reliable answers. I desprately WANT to believe they can repeat but objectively I don't see it. It kills me to say it but, barring injuries, I think Baltimore wins the division with the Bengals getting a Wild Card berth. And then anything can happen and hopefully will!
    A Smith is a big question mark, no doubt. There are legit questions surrounding his weight and effort, let alone his injury. The Bengals really need him to be the mauler that Big Willie was in his prime. Brat calling plays for TE's won't be an issue...he likes his toys and now he's got a couple good ones to scheme around with...Bryant's knee must be OK otherwise the Bengals wouldn't have given him that huge contract...Rey will be fine if he stays away from booze...his injury is no big deal...Roy Williams is certainly another legit injury concern given his recent history but the Bengals signed Gibril Wilson for depth, and he is a better option than Tom Nelson will ever be...

I think we'll mostly be OK unless we get decimated with injuries...which is pretty much where luck plays into every NFL team's seasons from year to year.

Absolutely. I have no doubt they'll win the division. The only reason people are picking against them is their past. Which makes as much sense as picking against the Saints last year because they never went to the Super Bowl. The D is top 5, the running game is top 10, and they have a Pro Bowl QB.

Is Palmer done? Will Benson get suspended?

I see those both as complete non-issues.

I mearly bring those up as questions I've seen posed on other sites as questions raised about this years team.

It's possible that the Bengals could be as good as last year, but have a worse record. They won last year by sweeping the division, that's probably not going to happen 2 years in a row. A division sweep is incredibly rare, the teams just know each other too well. Weeks 3-5 they beat each division opponent by 3 points, could easily have lost any of the 3 and had no business beating the Steelers. Outside of the AFC North they won only 1 game vs the AFC, a late 17-10 win over the Chiefs.

The defense that carried the Bengals last year should be just as good and the pass offense, which was terrible, has to be better. The Bengals should be better this year, and they'll have to be if they want to go back to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    It's possible that the Bengals could be as good as last year, but have a worse record.
    Its also equally possible that they could be better than last year and have a better record!
    ;>)
    Although I agree that sweeping the division again would be pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by WashProWilly View Post
    Its also equally possible that they could be better than last year and have a better record!
    ;>)
    Although I agree that sweeping the division again would be pretty tough.
    All true. While I don't expect them to go 6-0 in the division, I would be equally shocked if they went 1-5 against the rest of the AFC again. While I expect 7 to 9 wins, if the defense and running game are just as good and the passing game, with all the new additions, improves, 11 or even 12 wins is not out of the question. The upside for for would be 4-2 in the division, 4-2 against the rest of the AFC, 3-1 against the NFC South (11-5). At 11 wins you're just an interception away from 12.

The biggest game for me is November 14 at Indy. Since '98 (Peyton Manning's rookie year) the Bengals are 0-6 against the Colts, giving up at least 28 in every game. If the Bengals hope to take that next step, they have to show they can beat the Colts.