Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the Bengals repeat?

Quote Originally Posted by WashProWilly View Post
    Its also equally possible that they could be better than last year and have a better record!
    ;>)
    Although I agree that sweeping the division again would be pretty tough.
    All true. While I don't expect them to go 6-0 in the division, I would be equally shocked if they went 1-5 against the rest of the AFC again. While I expect 7 to 9 wins, if the defense and running game are just as good and the passing game, with all the new additions, improves, 11 or even 12 wins is not out of the question. The upside for for would be 4-2 in the division, 4-2 against the rest of the AFC, 3-1 against the NFC South (11-5). At 11 wins you're just an interception away from 12.

The biggest game for me is November 14 at Indy. Since '98 (Peyton Manning's rookie year) the Bengals are 0-6 against the Colts, giving up at least 28 in every game. If the Bengals hope to take that next step, they have to show they can beat the Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    All true. While I don't expect them to go 6-0 in the division, I would be equally shocked if they went 1-5 against the rest of the AFC again. While I expect 7 to 9 wins, if the defense and running game are just as good and the passing game, with all the new additions, improves, 11 or even 12 wins is not out of the question. The upside for for would be 4-2 in the division, 4-2 against the rest of the AFC, 3-1 against the NFC South (11-5). At 11 wins you're just an interception away from 12.

The biggest game for me is November 14 at Indy. Since '98 (Peyton Manning's rookie year) the Bengals are 0-6 against the Colts, giving up at least 28 in every game. If the Bengals hope to take that next step, they have to show they can beat the Colts.

well said. I think the two biggest advantages in the schedule are that they get the Saints and Chargers at home in the dead of winter. Best running game will win.

As with every team in the NFL, the health of their roster is going to go a long way in determining how the Bengals do this season. As regards the roster, I think they have improved significantly, particularly in their depth in key positions, bar quarterback and possibly linebacker? If the majority can remain healthy I can see the Bengals repeating, however it is highly unlikely that they could sweep the division again. While they still may be under the radar on the national front, they will have huge targets on their backs for the other division teams who will be well aware of what happened last season.

I find it very hard to go through a schedule and predict wins and losses, as form plays a major part in every NFL season. So while it is easy to say they should beat Carolina and Buffalo, those games could be a lot tougher on the back of a tough division loss to the Ravens or a 20 point defeat to the Colts. And of course with every NFL season there will always be teams who have greatly improved from the previous year (the Bengals last year) and likewise others who have declined rapidly. So while it does look a torturous schedule, it may not turn out that way. Only one way to find out........ can't wait!
    “Don’t get no respect, from the day I was born, no respect – my fadduh tried to breast-feed me”

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post

I completely agree. I want the Bengals to show on a national stage that they belong, and that starts with proving they can hang with the likes of the Colts and the Patriots.

I dont see the bengals repeating as division champs, I see the Ravens as the most improved team that was already good....the bengals non-division games are really tough I had no idea.....I wld still give them a shot to grab a wildcard birth but realistically they are a 9-7 team
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

Quote Originally Posted by Chompurself View Post
    I dont see the bengals repeating as division champs, I see the Ravens as the most improved team that was already good....the bengals non-division games are really tough I had no idea.....I wld still give them a shot to grab a wildcard birth but realistically they are a 9-7 team
    The Ravens have some pretty big issues...most notably their decimated secondary. And Donte Stallworth just broke his foot, although he's all hype anyway. Boldin will have to stay healthy (which he struggles to do every year) or Flacco is back to dink and dunk to Rice and Heap. And Heap gets hurt every year. No Sergio Kindle. They certainly have some problems that talking heads overlook as they are busy anointing them as the sexy pick in the AFC.

Bengals have a real tough sched as reward for 1st place, but I think barring injury, we have enough firepower on both sides of the ball to beat any team.
    But, if we don't clean up the penalties and the random mental errors (ahem, caldwell fumbling the kickoff at OAK in OT), we're going to drop 2-3 games we SHOULD win. And with as many tough/50-50 games as we have on the sched, we can't lose those kinds of games again.

If they come out focused, I see 10-11 wins, which should be enough for the division or wildcard.

Quote Originally Posted by akardan View Post
    Bengals have a real tough sched as reward for 1st place, but I think barring injury, we have enough firepower on both sides of the ball to beat any team.
    But, if we don't clean up the penalties and the random mental errors (ahem, caldwell fumbling the kickoff at OAK in OT), we're going to drop 2-3 games we SHOULD win. And with as many tough/50-50 games as we have on the sched, we can't lose those kinds of games again.

If they come out focused, I see 10-11 wins, which should be enough for the division or wildcard.

Caldwell always takes crap for that when in truth the team should have been up by 20 at that point.

They all stunk it up, the fumble was just the final nail.

BTW, it wasn't OT.