Thread: Ravens Seconary

Ravens Seconary

Hey Ravens fans. Bengals fan here.

Just curious, how concerned are you about your secondary considering 3 of your 4 starters are coming off injury and possibly landing on the PUP? Really surprised you guys didn't draft more for the secondary.

Blog Entries
    Only two of our starters are coming off of an injury, and there's been no talk whatsoever about Fabian Washington landing on the PUP List. Obviously anybody would be concerned if Ed Reed was on their roster and he was hurt and probably going to miss games, but we like Tom Zbikowski and he played very well filling in at the end of last season. On the other side of Foxworth, if Washington isn't ready to go then we feel like Webb will be. Even so, we didn't draft for the secondary because we didn't feel like we had to. None of the top players available when we were picking were defensive backs. I believe the only one we really valued was Chris Cook, but we couldn't move up. Probably for the best considering we got Kindle and Cody. Either way, we got the depth we needed in free agency by signing Walt Harris and Ken Hamlin. Things seem a lot worse than they actually are from the outside.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Webb, Washington, and Reed are all coming off injuries, no?

And from an outside view, the secondary wasn't that good last year, which is why the draft surprised me.

Blog Entries
    Yes, but Webb wasn't a starter. He was our nickelback for the majority of the year. Fabian Washington was the starter. As far as the draft goes, there are two ways to improve your pass defense; improve your secondary or improve your ability to rush the passer. We opted for the latter, adding both Kindle and Mount Cody to attack the QB. Why have two average corps when you can have one great one? Having Suggs, JJ, Barnes, Kindle, Ngata, and Cody along with the rest of the defense is a much better alternative than adding a rookie or two to the secondary. Like I said, we got our depth in free agency instead. We can't all be blessed with a Pro Bowl-caliber tandem of corners like Hall and Joseph.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

5. My biggest concern for the Ravens is the communication. Most of the magic on the Ravens defense comes from the way Ray Lewis and Ed Reed read the formations and adjust their calls on the fly. They really are remarkable. I can't tell you how many bad defensive calls have turned into turnovers because Ed and Ray create on the fly. They are the best front to back communicators I have seen. Remember what the Steelers looked like without Polamalu. Their communication between James Farrior and Troy is just as significant. What looked like magic with Polamalu in the game, looked pretty basic without him. I am afraid the Ravens may have the same issue this year.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Yes, but Webb wasn't a starter. He was our nickelback for the majority of the year. Fabian Washington was the starter. As far as the draft goes, there are two ways to improve your pass defense; improve your secondary or improve your ability to rush the passer. We opted for the latter, adding both Kindle and Mount Cody to attack the QB. Why have two average corps when you can have one great one? Having Suggs, JJ, Barnes, Kindle, Ngata, and Cody along with the rest of the defense is a much better alternative than adding a rookie or two to the secondary. Like I said, we got our depth in free agency instead. We can't all be blessed with a Pro Bowl-caliber tandem of corners like Hall and Joseph.
    Well, you can...you have to draft them in the first round!
    And Kindle and Cody are also rookies with just as much potential to not do well as a rookie CB.
    I agree with Cris, not having Ed Reed for the first 6 games of the season is a big setback for the Ravens defense. He's the biggest playmaker on that defense.