Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Roy Williams be gone?

Should Roy Williams be gone?

I think the only reasons Roy is still on the payroll at the moment, is that Dez Bryant hasn't signed yet and Jerry's ego. I think Patrick Crayton is better than Roy in big situations, and the depth should be 1. Austin 2. Crayton 3. Ogletree 4. Bryant (when he signs.) I like that Roy came from UT, but based on his performance the last two years, he's just not a top 3 receiver. I might put him at the #4 spot, but mainly if Bryant holds out.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Roy Willams showed flashes of brilliance when we had him in Detroit - he and a couple solid years and made a Pro Bowl. But, he does not seem to want it badly enough. I agree with your post - especially the part about JJ's ego.

If 2006 Roy Wlliams shows up, he'll be good for the 'Boys. Good luck with that, though.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Dallas gave up a lot to get Roy and it's an uncapped year. I'd say there's nothing to worry about unless you think he's damaging the locker room. Now that Bryant has signed, is there a team out there who the Cowboys could take advantage of, in their need to get a receiver? A team like Oakland comes to mind (who is usually willing to part with draft picks, but might not think Williams is fast enough?), since they have a new quarterback with experience but a lot of unproven wide receivers. A lot of Cowboys fans were down on Crayton for dropping the ball in big situations (the 2007 playoffs against New York come to mind), so I might let this play out of with Roy.

Yea i dont think you cut him or trade him unless Dez goes wild and Roy goes crying,but with Austin/Bryant/Williams/Witten..etc thats a pretty good collection of weapons not to mention the three headed RB attack
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

I would really like to say yes, but I think he could be better this year with Austin and Bryant on the field. Sure he isn't the top flight receiver everyone was expecting him to be, but we lucked out with Austin breaking out and now have a weapoin in Bryant. And no way is Bryant going to be the 4th reciever on the team. Talking about JJ being stubborn, he didn't draft this kid to be #4. I wouldn't be suprised if he is starting opposite Austin for the opener and Roy is the 3rd receiver. Regardless of contract, if Roy is your 3rd reciever, then I think you will see him succeed in that role.

I dont think this has anything to do with Jerry's ego, Roy can still play football. I think everyone is waiting to see some of those flashes he had in Detroit. He had a few 1000 yrd seasons and has never really played a 16 game schedule. If Roy grabs 50-60 balls this year he wont be a flop(I think he is one) Roy will be another target this year, they are going to be hard to stop. Witten, Austin, Roy and Dez who do you cover ?? And lets not forget about the backfield either.
    Last edited by poacher; 07-23-2010 at 05:24 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MrBigBillyB View Post
    I think the only reasons Roy is still on the payroll at the moment, is that Dez Bryant hasn't signed yet and Jerry's ego. I think Patrick Crayton is better than Roy in big situations, and the depth should be 1. Austin 2. Crayton 3. Ogletree 4. Bryant (when he signs.) I like that Roy came from UT, but based on his performance the last two years, he's just not a top 3 receiver. I might put him at the #4 spot, but mainly if Bryant holds out.

Anyone else have thoughts?
    A couple of reasons you don't get rid of Roy:
    1) Can't have enough receivers going into camp
    2) Insurance against an injury to another receiver
    3) Good red zone target (I believe 7 TD's last season)
    4) Big investment for Jerry Jones and he wants J. Garrett to find schemes to use Roy
    5) Don't want to just hand a rookie a job (sets a bad precedent to veteran players and could create locker room problems)
    6) Let nature take its course (everyone will see who the better player is)

I don't think he's going to have such a "break out" year like all the analysts are predicting. I know they're paid to analyze and predict but I have a gut feeling that he's going to have a slow start and after that, he's just going to be all depressed and sad and then demand to be traded or released. I know I'm in the minority here but they should release him as soon as he has a bad game. I agree with the comment about Jerah's ego though, way too big and he doesn't always cut his loses when he should.
    “The year we beat Miami in the Super Bowl, ... do you know how many defensive linemen were in our rotation? Nine, and we used them all quite a bit. We just wore the Dolphins out.”

~Bill Walsh

Blog Entries
    Look, there is no way you straight up release this guy. As disappointed as Dallas fans are with him, there are a lot of teams in the NFL for whom he would immediately be the #1 target on the field (including my own). And for all the talk about Bryant and how talented he is, rookie wide receivers are hit and miss; they don't often blow up immediately, and many times some of their biggest contributions will come on special teams where there is guaranteed space on the field (even DeSean Jackson only scored two receiving touchdowns his rookie season). Bryant hasn't played a single game in the league and hasn't played football in almost a year! I'm not saying he'll be Mike Williams 2.0, but you can't bet the ranch on this guy no matter how much talent he looks to have.

Roy is probably the #2 wide receiver on this team, and the third option behind Austin and Witten in the passing game. He doesn't have to be the alpha dog, he just has to be good enough to keep defenses honest and be a professional. Also, another good question to ask here, how good is Williams as a run-blocker? And Bryant? Not every receiver (or even tight end) wants to do that, and I honestly don't know the answer to this particular question.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    (even DeSean Jackson only scored two receiving touchdowns his rookie season).
    He would have had more but he kept throwing the ball on the ground before crossing the goal line. : )

All above are valid points. I wasn't really expecting to the 'Boys to outright release him, I was more in the light of thought of giving up/trading him angle. I worry most about the attitude of not being the #1 receiver or even the #2. I agree that as a rookie, Dez is unproven and is why I didn't place him higher. I just think a lot of people overlook the talent that Crayton and Ogletree bring to the table that have been at least close to as productive as Roy has been while accepting their roles in the 3,4,5 spots. They had pretty legitimate beef during the OTAs about wanting to know their place with Dez coming on board. Now that camp has started, they need to (and have) just shut up and go out and earn their spots.

I think Jerry's ego comes in by wanting to give that spot to Roy because of what he did to get him, he doesn't want to be wrong. Roy automatically has the leg up even if Crayton or Ogletree outperform him in the pre-season. Sometimes Jerry doesn't just let nature take it's course and keep the best person for the position (like a 2x Super Bowl Champion coach for instance.)