Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ESPN 30 for 30

ESPN 30 for 30

I've seen a number of these, and they range from the great to the unwatchable.

Last night, I watched "The Two Escobars" about the rise of Colombian soccer in the 80's and 90's. Even if you don't like soccer, I recommend this film. The story it tells is unbelievable and it is told unbelievably well.

After watching the film, I felt like dropping to my knees and thanking God that I live in Canada.

I have that one on my Tivo. My favorite was the one on the "U" but I'm very biased.

Funny, I was just going to say "U" was nearly unwatchable. My favorite has been the "June 17, 1994". Overall, th eseries has been very good.
    [I]There's always next year[/I]

When I first heard of the project, I was a bit leary as to the quality of these programs.
    I have to give ESPN a lot of credit for investing the money by bringing in top notch directors and the time by not just rushing everything and rolling them out 30 weeks in a row.
    The Two Escobars was unbelievable; Miller Time was a lot of fun; I really liked the USFL documentary - I had forgotten how much talent was in that league before it folded.
    Last edited by Resdog154; 07-23-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: incomplete thought
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or ****** beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 30 for 30 series is one of the best things espn has done in a while. My favorites were the Two Escobars and the Allen Iverson one. Also, cant wait for the one about the 2004 Red Sox one. Of all the ones I've seen, none have been bad.
    "Ability is a poor man's wealth."

Quote Originally Posted by hassan812 View Post
    The 30 for 30 series is one of the best things espn has done in a while. My favorites were the Two Escobars and the Allen Iverson one. Also, cant wait for the one about the 2004 Red Sox one. Of all the ones I've seen, none have been bad.
    I agree - I have seen almost all and while some have been better than others, not a single one was bad in my opinion. The Two Escobars and June 17, 1994 were my favorites - I also enjoyed the Reggie Miller vs Knicks was good too.

Run Ricky, Run was good as well.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

My favorite so far was "The U". The part when Highsmith, Jamaal Brown and the others called the hotel that Bozworth and his Oklahoma teammates were staying at to give them a special wakeup call at 5am on gameday made me laugh for awhile. Lots of stories like that sort of took the bad boy image of the team during the 80's to being an image of humor and fun. Some of the TD and big play celebrations also created pretty good laughs and entertainment. No mistake about it though, some of those teams were definitely badder than a motorcycle gang as Dan LeBetard, the Miami Herald journalist, put it during the show.
    Just call me Ott.

Blog Entries
    Well I love Bill Simmons so I'm required to love 30 for 30 by relation, but I would've loved the series anyway. My favorites have been "The U", "No Crossover", "June 17, 1994", and "Without Bias" (my personal favorite), but I've enjoyed every one of them so far. The only one I haven't seen is the one about the birth of fantasy baseball, but only because I can't stand baseball and think we should somehow trade it to Canada for ice hockey. I don't think that's possible though, so I'm content with pretending it doesn't exist. *Whistles like someone who isn't crazy*
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Can't we just rub a lamp and ask the genie to make baseball disappear?