Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm surprised you think Brown will trade Palmer

I'm surprised you think Brown will trade Palmer

I don't think there is any way he will be traded. What's next? Dalton plays 1 year on a 5 year deal and then wants a trade? The Bengals were called the worst organization in sports. If the Bengals show people they can escape just by threatening to retire they won't keep one guy. Brown forcing Carson "The Quitter" Palmer to retire will show players past and present, that when you sign a contract with Cincinnati you are expected to honor it. I'm stuck with the Bengals and I don't get a dime. I just love 'em. Red Dragon will lead us to the promised land.

I don't get your animosity towards Palmer. He's never been an in-your-face type of personality. He's always been quiet, respectful and classy, so for a guy like Palmer to make such a demand, you have to believe that front office/Management has lost their team. If you should be angry at anyone, it should be Mike Brown for fostering a losing mentality within the franchise. A lot of your vets are sick and tired of a regime that refuses to change for the better, that seems OK with the status quo. They're competitors and they're tired of resigning themselves to mediocrity. Frankly, I don't blame them.

Besides, trading Palmer is a smart business decision. I mean, wouldn't you rather get something for him? Or would you rather get nothing because someone's ego held a grudge?

Frankly, I'll take the draft picks.

As for precedent, I wouldn't worry too much about that. When you get a player to the point where his whole attitude becomes toxic, it's time to part ways. Get whatever value you can for him and send him on his way. Might as well work with people who want to be there rather than those who don't.

Cris is away from the computer for a while, hopefully he'll see this when he gets back.

I would say it's less than 50-50 that Palmer gets traded. Mike Brown does have a long standing policy of not trading players that request it. His reasoning is a good one, at some point everyone wants out of Cincinnati. If he let's it be known that he'll trade a player if he makes enough noise then everyone will start making a lot of noise. Brown has made exceptions though, Corey Dillon and Takeo Spikes come to mind. It's possible, but not likely. My guess is that Palmer doesn't play this year.

Blog Entries
    As I said on another thread, Carson Palmer is, in financial terms, a perishable commodity. You get what you can for him in a flexible market.

Honestly, sitting on Palmer and letting him retire is the business equivalent of twelve year old throwing a temper tantrum. Not only does it accomplish nothing, but every bystander looks at and says to himself, a kid that age should know better. I don't think trading Palmer shows Bengals' players they can weasel out of contracts (especially since most Bengals players have to realize they don't have the same leverage a former #1 overall quarterback does) as much as *not* trading him shows that your organization is run by childish dimwits for whom no one in his right mind would want to play.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    @Sparta,

I think Mike Brown will NOT trade Palmer, simply because although he might gain a bit if he does, it costs him nothing to not trade him. And it enhances "the code", if you cross the family, you are dead to the family. Sort of like a loan shark not breaking someones legs who doesn't make their payment just because she is a nun. It's bad for business.

Sure, but it could also breed even more bad blood within the organization. So what's more important to the overall health of the organization? Using your ego to try and prove a point, or dumping a cancer in the locker room and getting some draft picks in the process?

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    @Sparta,

I think Mike Brown will NOT trade Palmer, simply because although he might gain a bit if he does, it costs him nothing to not trade him. And it enhances "the code", if you cross the family, you are dead to the family. Sort of like a loan shark not breaking someones legs who doesn't make their payment just because she is a nun. It's bad for business.

Godfather part I is still, in my opinion, the greatest movie ever made. Part II is the greatest sequel ever made. Watching part III is slightly more enjoyable than having your face ripped off and eaten by rabid ground hogs.

The Bengals are nuts.

If they can get a third rounder for what is, in essence, a QB who is approaching Delhomme-ishness... and shed his contract... they should jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    The Bengals are nuts.

If they can get a third rounder for what is, in essence, a QB who is approaching Delhomme-ishness... and shed his contract... they should jump on it.
    I second that. I think Palmer can still play though, just not for Cincy. He's made up his mime.
    Last edited by packa7x; 06-22-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: I left it the same, but meant mind, not mime. It was too good of a foul up to let go.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

I think as soon as there is a CBA and the ability to make trades/sign free agents.. Mike Brown will change his stance on whether or not he should move Carson Palmer. I think when that happens Palmer will wind up in Seattle or Miami. Seattle makes the most sense for numerous reasons, above all else they need a quarterback and Pete Carroll prefers a veteran guide over an inexperienced player (which is why Whitehurst will NOT start in 2011, and which is why the Seahawks elected to address other needs in the draft).

Of course - the Seahawks could surprise everyone and trade for Kevin Kolb, or even bring back Hasselbeck. In that case I think Miami immediately becomes a favorite to land him, because Chad Henne is definitely on a short leash.. even more so with a coaching staff that was all but fired in the offseason before Dolphins brass had to pull an about face and reverse course.

Either way, I find it extremely difficult to believe that the Bengals will not move Carson Palmer for draft compensation.