Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a Laptop

I would stay away from Acer in general, not just because of the lack of support on the back end, but because of the questionable build and vendors they outsource parts to. Under 500 is really tough for a laptop. IMO, that's probably a bit unreasonable if you want something decent. I own an new Inspiron 1564 with 10 touch numeric keypad, HD 720p on a 15.6 in screen. i5 processor with a 500 gb @ 7200 rpm/4gb RAM plus a dedicated graphics card with 1GB memory. 3 USB ports with 1 HDMI and a Blu-Ray combo drive. When I built it through the manufacturer a few months ago I paid a little more than a grand for it. You may be able to get one now for less than that if you take out the blu ray, or smaller harddrive or one at a slower rpm (but beware, those will fail faster than one with a higher rpm) and that kind of stuff. Plus they're always running specials. And I believe the 1545 has a more cost effective base price.

I would allocate out at least 750 bucks. All the Vaio recommendations come with a hefty price tag, and no one I know has been happy with theirs long term. Keyboards fall apart, harddrives corrupt after a year and a half or two etc.
    Last edited by HiloVulcan; 07-28-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks guys, for all your input. I found a great deal at my local Sam's Club and made a purchase.
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Quote Originally Posted by buzmeg View Post
    Thanks guys, for all your input. I found a great deal at my local Sam's Club and made a purchase.
    So ....? Don't keep us hangin', man. What did you get? Like it so far? Yeah, this is a football forum, but clearly after 4 pages of comments you can see the interest.

Disclaimer: My trusty old desktop is acting funky this AM so I have a vested interest in the news to making the switch. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    So ....? Don't keep us hangin', man. What did you get? Like it so far? Yeah, this is a football forum, but clearly after 4 pages of comments you can see the interest.

Disclaimer: My trusty old desktop is acting funky this AM so I have a vested interest in the news to making the switch. Thx.
    Thanks for asking. I bought an HP G71-448CL.

Here's the specs:

• Processor and Memory:
    • Intel® Celeron® processor 900
    • 2.20GHz processor speed
    • 1MB cache
    • 2GB DDR2 system memory (2 DIMM)
    • Accessible memory slots: 2

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:
    • 250GB (7200RPM) SATA hard drive
    • LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with double layer support

Audio, Video, and Graphics:
    • Altec Lansing speakers
    • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (shared) with up to 797MB total available graphics memory

Connectivity:
    • Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n WLAN
    • High speed 56k modem

Ports/Slots:
    • 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
    • 3 USB 2.0
    • 1 Headphone out
    • 1 microphone-in
    • 1 VGA (15-pin)
    • 1 RJ-11(Modem)
    • 1 RJ-45(LAN)
    • HDMI

Keyboard, Pointing Device and Display:
    • 101-key compatible with full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad
    • Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad
    • 17.3" Diagonal HD+ LED HP BrightView widescreen display (1600x900)
    • Webcam with integrated microphone

Here's the good part. It was an open box display model that was priced at $499. The battery was missing, but I bought it for $265. and purchased a battery on eBay for $39. Total cost with tax $324.

So far, so good!
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

That's a good machine, but a really good price. You might want to see if you can go to 4GB Ram eventually, but overall you got a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    That's a good machine, but a really good price. You might want to see if you can go to 4GB Ram eventually, but overall you got a good deal.
    Thanks, for your input, Andy.
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

New Orleans/St. Bernard/Da lower 9th ward, LA
    I saw someone say they use their HDMI port to put their computer screen onto their tv screen. How much does that wire cost because I'm really looking forward to doing that. I spent the weekend at a friend's place and he had this set up on his big screen. After that I decided I have no idea why I am not doing this with my lap top especially if I can get a wireless keyboard (will that work with a laptop?) and a wireless mouse!
    [B]St. Bernard born and raised! BLACK AND GOLD TO THE SUPER BOWL! WHO DAT![/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBoys View Post
    I saw someone say they use their HDMI port to put their computer screen onto their tv screen. How much does that wire cost because I'm really looking forward to doing that. I spent the weekend at a friend's place and he had this set up on his big screen. After that I decided I have no idea why I am not doing this with my lap top especially if I can get a wireless keyboard (will that work with a laptop?) and a wireless mouse!
    If you go to ebay, you could get a 10 ft. HDMI (get a high quality one -- it's worth the extra $$) and a wireless keyboard/mouse for $40-60. I use the HDMI port on my laptop to stream Netflix movies to my TV. Picture quality is better thatn DVDs.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBoys View Post
    The system that I have now is pretty slick. Like I said I have a year old Dell Studio Laptop. 4gb memory, 320gb hard drive, 720p 15.6" monitor. I download 720p quality hd movies and stream them onto my 46" lcd tv using a HDMI cord. I connect my surround sound to my laptop using a 3.5mm head phone to audio/video cord (this is only audio since I run the video through the HDMI port). Streaming movies at this high of resolution seamlessly uses ALL of the memory I have. If I ever have another program running at the same time while playing the movie, it tends to skip and is super annoying. I found that it plays the best when I: Have the A/C adapter plugged in, turn off my wireless adapter, all other programs off and windows sidebar off. I also usually restart the computer before playing a movie. None of these things matter when playing regular definition video files, but the quality when it plays perfect in 720p is well worth it.

If anyone has questions about this type of setup, I would be happy to answer them..I've spent many hours perfecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by JUMPAROUND View Post
    The system that I have now is pretty slick. Like I said I have a year old Dell Studio Laptop. 4gb memory, 320gb hard drive, 720p 15.6" monitor. I download 720p quality hd movies and stream them onto my 46" lcd tv using a HDMI cord. I connect my surround sound to my laptop using a 3.5mm head phone to audio/video cord (this is only audio since I run the video through the HDMI port). Streaming movies at this high of resolution seamlessly uses ALL of the memory I have. If I ever have another program running at the same time while playing the movie, it tends to skip and is super annoying. I found that it plays the best when I: Have the A/C adapter plugged in, turn off my wireless adapter, all other programs off and windows sidebar off. I also usually restart the computer before playing a movie. None of these things matter when playing regular definition video files, but the quality when it plays perfect in 720p is well worth it.

If anyone has questions about this type of setup, I would be happy to answer them..I've spent many hours perfecting it.
    You might be out-foxing yourself, here. HDMI sends both video and sound to your TV. Run the audio feed from the TV to the sound system. That will ease the burden on your CPU and will streamline the overall feed and be less taxing on your computer.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.