Thread: Josh Mcdaniels

Josh Mcdaniels

Curious to know how Denver fans feel about him as a coach,He has in his short term made some Bold moves and what do the fans in Denver think of him?
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Good question. I've wondered if the Broncos faithful like having such a polarizing guy step in for another polarizing (albeit much more successful) coach in Shanahan after he was there for so many years.

I remember when they hired McDaniels I thought "jeez, this guy is young. The players are going to walk all over him". Heh, guess I was wrong.

I don't know who said it first, but the line going around Denver is, "When Bill Belichick sprains his ankle, Josh McDaniels limps"

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    ha good stuff msclemons.....destroying the other teams from within...something something something...dark side....something something something....complete!~
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Blog Entries
    I'd like to copyright that Josh McDaniels runs the Broncos as though he's in franchise/dynasty mode on Madden '11. That's the way it looks anyway. You go to a franchise with a franchise quarterback, and you trade him for the draft picks and a stop-gap; you ditch your best receiver for more picks. You draft a quarterback, a new wide receiver, you bring in a bunch of veterans who've never amounted to anything (Jabar Gaffney, anyone?) and you start building your team around computer-generated rookies and free agents. Will this become a trend now that we're starting to get coaches who grew up playing video games? Have you noticed that quarterback play especially in college has become much less traditional over the course of the last fifteen years? I don't think it's just the spread, and I find it difficult to believe that years of this sort of thing contributing to players' (and soon enough and maybe already, coaches') imaginations hasn't affected the game at all.

8. Josh can coach, but the GM stuff will decide his fate. When you get rid of your two most high profile players, it had better work. The great start last year got him a lot of attention as did the late season collapse. A few things. I am not sure Jay Cutler could have ever bought in to McDaniels after they way they started. Cutler felt like he had been lied to and betrayed. Secondly, Brandon Marshall is on very, very thin ice with the league. If he has an off-the-field issue in Miami, McDaniels may look like a genius. I have heard nothing but good things about first round pick Demaryius Thomas from Georgia Tech as well, but I doubt he will make fans forget Brandon Marshall in Denver. In addition, I thought the Broncos DL was not good enough. With the addition of Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, and Jarvis Green the Broncos could be much improved where they needed it most. Finally, I love Tim Tebow, but I didn't understand the pick in the first round. They had much bigger needs. The Tebow, Cutler, and Marshall decisions will probably decide Josh McDaniels fate much more than his coaching.

Cris or anyone else with insight, was it GM stuff that decided Shanahan's fate in Denver? Because very few fans or people around the league have any doubts about Mike's ability to coach a team. If I recall correctly, the broncos and browns trading defensive linemen back and forth over a 2-3 year period was a pretty big blunder.

If Shanahan did get the boot due to GM issues, I'm just suprised that McDaniels could be given the same authorization by ownership to make personnel moves, especially being a 1st year head coach.
    Just call me Ott.

I've been a Denver fan my whole life but have never lived in Denver so my opinion on Coach McDaniels may be different from the majority of Bronco fans. I have been a supporter of his from day 1. I like his team-over-individual philosophy and admire how he has stuck by it even when it wasn't popular. I was upset how the Cutler deal went down but wasn't necessarily upset about losing Cutler. I still don't believe he will ever live up to his hype despite his amazing talent. I wish they could have made the situation with Marshall work but I am also not that upset that he moved on. I believe in a receiving system more than I do individual stars although I do believe Denver has players that could become stars. I was annoyed at how some of the players were used last year, or not used I should say. Our running game could have been better coached and I expect it to be this year. I don't have a problem with McDaniels' FA/draft moves. Yeah, Tebow probably is a second round talent but I have never been sold on draft order translating to success in the league. Aside from the size of contract I believe round 1-3 picks are almost interchangeable when it comes to talent. All in all, 8-8 is successful as a first year coach and I believe if he improves the record over the next two seasons and advances the team past the first round of the playoffs then all the fans on the fence will be sold that he will be Denver's coach for the future.