Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuilding the Chiefs

Isn't Eric Berry the real prize of their recent drafts?

Quote Originally Posted by bpinsky33 View Post
    T-Jax had an average season for a 3-4 DE. You do not expect any 3-4 DEs to be all stars in their first season. Look at all of the best 3-4 DEs in the league and you will see that they had a sub-par rookie year. I'm not saying that he will ever be a Pro-bowler (not many 3-4 DEs are), but I do think he will be solid. I do question using the 3rd overall pick on a player who is "solid", but at this point it is really too early to call him a bust.
    As you pointed out, the biggest issue with Tyson Jackson is that they did take him 3rd overall. While that might be unfair to him as a player, that is the reality. I didn't get to see much of him, but what I did see didn't lead me to believe he will justify that draft position any time soon, and I'm not sure he even should have been starting last year. The next DE off the board was Aaron Maybin, who wasn't any better, but the Redskins took Orakpo at 13. While he would be an outside LB in the 3-4, I think he will end up being the better player.

I am probably a little harder on Albert than I should be, because I really liked him coming out of college. I thought he was the 2nd best o-lineman in the draft, but as I said, that was at guard, and in the end, I think that's where he will end up. While he struggles at OT, I think he would be an impact player at guard right now.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    The Chiefs are in the 4th year of a rebuilding plan with no end in site. Over the last 3 years, they've gone 10-38 and have been outscored by an average of 129 points per year. Any rebuilding plan has to revolve around the draft, and the Chiefs haven't done themselves any favors in that area. Scott Pioli had 3 first round picks in his first 2 drafts, with very little to show for them:

These 3 players should form the core of the Scott Pioli/Todd Haley Chiefs. Instead they are, at best, average players drawing huge salaries.

Only one issue with what your saying, Pioli didnt draft Dorsey and Albert. That was the work of wonderful Mr. Petterson and his great handling of Jared Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    As you pointed out, the biggest issue with Tyson Jackson is that they did take him 3rd overall. While that might be unfair to him as a player, that is the reality. I didn't get to see much of him, but what I did see didn't lead me to believe he will justify that draft position any time soon, and I'm not sure he even should have been starting last year. The next DE off the board was Aaron Maybin, who wasn't any better, but the Redskins took Orakpo at 13. While he would be an outside LB in the 3-4, I think he will end up being the better player.

I am probably a little harder on Albert than I should be, because I really liked him coming out of college. I thought he was the 2nd best o-lineman in the draft, but as I said, that was at guard, and in the end, I think that's where he will end up. While he struggles at OT, I think he would be an impact player at guard right now.
    Look at TJax's stats, he improved as the season went on. He isn't a pro bowler, but he is solid. Orakpo might be a stud, but he could have easily been the next Gholston. So if we pass on the only quality 3-4 DE in the next two drafts for a Gholston then you could question that as well. The guy people wanted us to draft was Curry, and he would have had to transition from 4-3 OLB to a 3-4 ILB. Call me crazy, but I don't like the idea of drafting a player at 3 and having them change positions. I also think TJax is being wrongly compared to Seymour, a better comparison would be Ty Warren.

I guess we will see this year how effective Albert is this year. I have a feeling we will be better than you think.