Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding the Chiefs

Rebuilding the Chiefs

The Chiefs are in the 4th year of a rebuilding plan with no end in site. Over the last 3 years, they've gone 10-38 and have been outscored by an average of 129 points per year. Any rebuilding plan has to revolve around the draft, and the Chiefs haven't done themselves any favors in that area. Scott Pioli had 3 first round picks in his first 2 drafts, with very little to show for them:

DT/DE Glenn Dorsey, 5th overall in '08. Was declared the most dominate defensive player in the draft, but hasn't had the impact expected. Improved last year with the switch from 4-3 DT to 3-4 DE, but is far from the immovable object the Chiefs expected when they drafted him. Too early to call him a bust, but could eat himself out of the league within a couple of years.

T Branden Albert, 15th overall in '08. A guard in college, Albert hasn't transitioned well to LT. He gave up a lot of sacks last year, though some of those were from Matt Cassel holding the ball too long. His future is probably at guard, but he will be back at LT this year. To make matters worse, he was drafted with a pick the Chiefs got for Jared Allen.

DE Tyson Jackson, 3rd overall in '09. It's too early to call Glenn Dorsey a bust, but maybe not too early for Jackson. A surprise as the 3rd overall pick last year, he made no impact as a rookie.

These 3 players should form the core of the Scott Pioli/Todd Haley Chiefs. Instead they are, at best, average players drawing huge salaries.

As a long suffering Chiefs fan, I can only nod solemnly. The plan was to rebuild through the draft, but it's pretty hard to do that when your top five picks do absolutely nothing on the field. Jackson and Dorsey have been painful to watch every week.

Collinsworth mentioned this in one of his posts from a couple of weeks back. The Chiefs have no explosive playmakers at any of the skill positions [except Charles]. Our WR are too slow and are unable to beat anyone deep, so defenses can just bunch up the middle of the field and protect the short crossing routes. I hoped we could get a downfield threat in the draft, but we didn't. This year looks like more of the same; a few wins, a whole lot of losses, and a whole lot more 3 and outs.

They did get their home run hitter in Dexter McCluster, but it remains to be seen if he's a deep threat. He has the speed and they plan to play him mostly at WR, but he still needs to learn the position and there just aren't many 5-8 players that scare you deep, aside from Steve Smith (who's actually 5-9). I really like McCluster, but the Chiefs already have a similar player in Jamaal Charles.

Yeah, with his small stature, I worry about him being able to stay healthy. I hope he can add another element to the offense, because we need everything we can get.

I remain mystified by the selection of Javier Arenas; I thought our CBs played well last year. I know he can return kicks, but isn't that what McCluster will be doing as well? I thought it was a strange pick in the 2nd round.

I agree on Arenas. They have bigger needs than CB. When they took Berry, McCluster and Arenas with their first 3 picks I thought they might be drafting a track team.

6. Sick of suffering at Arrowhead (at least they haven't ho'd up the name yet). Lots of promises, poor performance and worse drafts. Last outstanding pick was T-Gon. Luckiest pick was the 'long snapper" Jared Allen - you can beat skill but not dumb luck. McCluster was great pick (in the 3rd-4th round); no offensive line; little defense and pretty good RBs in Thomas Jones and fragile Jamal Charles. Sorry fellow fans - we've got another lottery ticket that won't be a winner. Pioli might become a decent GM after he stops trying to chase Belichick; Scott you ain't that smart!!!!

Andy, do you think the Charlie Weis experiment is going to work out? It's apparent that Weis and Haley both have pretty big egos; can these two really coexist? I have my doubts...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    The Chiefs are in the 4th year of a rebuilding plan with no end in site. Over the last 3 years, they've gone 10-38 and have been outscored by an average of 129 points per year. Any rebuilding plan has to revolve around the draft, and the Chiefs haven't done themselves any favors in that area. Scott Pioli had 3 first round picks in his first 2 drafts, with very little to show for them:

DT/DE Glenn Dorsey, 5th overall in '08. Was declared the most dominate defensive player in the draft, but hasn't had the impact expected. Improved last year with the switch from 4-3 DT to 3-4 DE, but is far from the immovable object the Chiefs expected when they drafted him. Too early to call him a bust, but could eat himself out of the league within a couple of years.

T Branden Albert, 15th overall in '08. A guard in college, Albert hasn't transitioned well to LT. He gave up a lot of sacks last year, though some of those were from Matt Cassel holding the ball too long. His future is probably at guard, but he will be back at LT this year. To make matters worse, he was drafted with a pick the Chiefs got for Jared Allen.

DE Tyson Jackson, 3rd overall in '09. It's too early to call Glenn Dorsey a bust, but maybe not too early for Jackson. A surprise as the 3rd overall pick last year, he made no impact as a rookie.

These 3 players should form the core of the Scott Pioli/Todd Haley Chiefs. Instead they are, at best, average players drawing huge salaries.
    While I agree that these three player are a core of the team but I think you are being really hard on all of them. Lets start with Dorsey. As you pointed out he changed from a 4-3 DT to a 3-4 DE. He did struggle some early on, but he was very solid as the year progressed. It was not a coincidence that the game he missed last year (Cleveland) was the game we gave up over 250+ yards rushing.

Albert was very solid as a rookie, he struggled early on last year. Albert supporters believe it is because he was asked to cut a ton of weight before the season started. By losing the weight he had to rely more on technique, and less on size. He spent the first half of the season getting used to playing at his new weight. He played much better in the 2nd half, granted some of that was due to Charles' ability to run the ball, but he was a big contributor to that.

T-Jax had an average season for a 3-4 DE. You do not expect any 3-4 DEs to be all stars in their first season. Look at all of the best 3-4 DEs in the league and you will see that they had a sub-par rookie year. I'm not saying that he will ever be a Pro-bowler (not many 3-4 DEs are), but I do think he will be solid. I do question using the 3rd overall pick on a player who is "solid", but at this point it is really too early to call him a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I agree on Arenas. They have bigger needs than CB. When they took Berry, McCluster and Arenas with their first 3 picks I thought they might be drafting a track team.
    Our team was slow last year we needed to improve team speed. I think Flowers is a future Pro-Bowler, and Carr is a solid CB, but they are both on the slow side. Adding Arenas adds speed to a defense that did spend a lot of time in a nickel package.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTranBrasky View Post
    Andy, do you think the Charlie Weis experiment is going to work out? It's apparent that Weis and Haley both have pretty big egos; can these two really coexist? I have my doubts...
    I think they will be fine. It's not like Weis doesn't have experience working around a head coaches ego and I don't see Haley as being as bad as some others.