Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Carry my pads Rookie

Hybrid View

  1. #1
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    260

    Carry my pads Rookie

    Does anyone else think this is a big deal that Dez doesn't carry Roy's pads? I heard Mike Golic say that Dez should have definatly carred the pads and just shut up. Well I couldn't disagree more with that. I like what Dez did and here is why. Dez is there to take Roy's job from him and I think Roy was trying to put Dez under his thumb with this. I think if Austin or Witten were the ones to do this, I think Dez would have done it. Since Roy has been adamant that he is not letting Dez take his job without a fight (which won't be much of a fight) then there was tension from the beginning.

    Any other thoughts on this?

  2. #2
    I think you're right about the motive for why Roy Williams did it, to try to show some sort of dominance. I think it would have been better to do like Cris said. Carry the pads without complaint, then do everything you can to take his job.

  3. #3
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    260
    I try to put myself in that situation and I think I would have handled it a little different than Dez did. I think I would have told Roy no and then went and picked up Miles and Tony's pads for them.

  4. #4
    Oh my yes. Bryant not doing what most every rookie goes through tells you everything about his character, as if you needed anymore inside information about it anyway, after the debacle that was his workout pro-day. He already sees himself above the situation. Jerry Jones and Cowboys fans are GOING TO HATE THIS DRAFT PICK! The difference between T.O. and Dex Bryant is work ethic, something Bryant already showed he had none of at his pro-day workout. Not to mention lying to the NCAA. Bryant has no character. Bryant has no work ethic. Bryant has no respect. Unless he goes through a Shark-Willie Beamon like confrontation sometime in the near future, this guy has no chance to be successful in Dallas. And to be honest, I can't wait. The Cowboys should've moved up to draft Bryan Bulaga, cause they're gonna need all the help they can get on the offensive line.

  5. #5
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gettin' lucky in Kentucky
    Posts
    1,891
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    Unless he goes through a Shark-Willie Beamon like confrontation sometime in the near future, this guy has no chance
    Mine was just a rant, yours was money. Couldn't have said it better myself (and I tried). SHOT FIRED!
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

  6. #6
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    Oh my yes. Bryant not doing what most every rookie goes through tells you everything about his character, as if you needed anymore inside information about it anyway, after the debacle that was his workout pro-day. He already sees himself above the situation. Jerry Jones and Cowboys fans are GOING TO HATE THIS DRAFT PICK! The difference between T.O. and Dex Bryant is work ethic, something Bryant already showed he had none of at his pro-day workout. Not to mention lying to the NCAA. Bryant has no character. Bryant has no work ethic. Bryant has no respect. Unless he goes through a Shark-Willie Beamon like confrontation sometime in the near future, this guy has no chance to be successful in Dallas. And to be honest, I can't wait. The Cowboys should've moved up to draft Bryan Bulaga, cause they're gonna need all the help they can get on the offensive line.
    From what I have seen and heard, this guy is totally focused on football and wants to win. To say he doesn't have any character because he refused to carry some pads is a bit premature. We all know his upbringing and I would take a lot of players that come from a childhood like his because it typically breeds a great work ethic. These guys had a rough life and don't want to live out their lives the same way. He may be rough around the edges right now, but he has his head on straight when it comes to football. You could be right in your assessment of his character, but let him make some real mistakes before we judge him on that.

  7. #7
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by DemCowboys View Post
    From what I have seen and heard, this guy is totally focused on football and wants to win. To say he doesn't have any character because he refused to carry some pads is a bit premature. We all know his upbringing and I would take a lot of players that come from a childhood like his because it typically breeds a great work ethic. These guys had a rough life and don't want to live out their lives the same way. He may be rough around the edges right now, but he has his head on straight when it comes to football. You could be right in your assessment of his character, but let him make some real mistakes before we judge him on that.
    Agreed 100%

  8. #8
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by DemCowboys View Post
    From what I have seen and heard, this guy is totally focused on football and wants to win. To say he doesn't have any character because he refused to carry some pads is a bit premature. We all know his upbringing and I would take a lot of players that come from a childhood like his because it typically breeds a great work ethic. These guys had a rough life and don't want to live out their lives the same way. He may be rough around the edges right now, but he has his head on straight when it comes to football. You could be right in your assessment of his character, but let him make some real mistakes before we judge him on that.
    My sentiments exactly. As I said in the other thread, I don't even think this is a news story. If Bryant plays well on the field and stays focused on improving as a player, none of this will matter.

  9. #9
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gettin' lucky in Kentucky
    Posts
    1,891
    Blog Entries
    2
    Even if Roy was doing it to be a douchebag (which I don't think he was), Dez should shut it and carry the silly pads. It's just one of those things. Roy has said all the right things in the media leading up to this about helping if he can, even making jokes that he isn't buying a new car anytime soon. I don't think he would have done this for Witten or Romo either, because he said and I quote, "I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

    Now I have heard the talking heads all day going on about this, but when it comes down to it the guys that have played the game, or furthermore, guys/gals that have been in a fraternity or the military, understand that the people before you did it. Furthermore, even just a close group of friends, we all break each others butts a bit from time to time. I have no problem with the senior guys sitting him down and letting him know that if he isn't going to be a team player, oh well...

    I heard Charles Barkley talking about how he used to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get Dr. J a newspaper. He used to have to bring the veteran guys milk in the middle of the night. To some it may seem a bit archaic, but that is just what you go through sometimes to be in a real tight group. The guys and gals that are doing it to you are just giving you crap, and that's what teammates do. It seems to me like this generation of athlete, nay, most of this upcoming generation period has grown up being coddled way to much. This reeks of self entitlement and I don't see it helping in the locker room for our boy Dez.

    Disclaimer: The views of this particular post do not necessarily reflect the views of the makers of this website.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

  10. #10
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by DemCowboys View Post
    Does anyone else think this is a big deal that Dez doesn't carry Roy's pads? I heard Mike Golic say that Dez should have definatly carred the pads and just shut up. Well I couldn't disagree more with that. I like what Dez did and here is why. Dez is there to take Roy's job from him and I think Roy was trying to put Dez under his thumb with this. I think if Austin or Witten were the ones to do this, I think Dez would have done it. Since Roy has been adamant that he is not letting Dez take his job without a fight (which won't be much of a fight) then there was tension from the beginning.

    Any other thoughts on this?
    I agree totally. Also, the idea that because "it's always been done and everybody does it" as some sort of rationale for Dez to have carried the pads doesn't make sense. Apply that logic to any historical event and where does that leave us? Not talking about football, I can guaratee you that.

    More importantly, Williams is not even respected in his locker room and widely considered a bust (fairly or unfairly). So why should Dez subject himself to such disrespect when he's here to take Williams' job as someone pointed earlier. Also consider that Williams is appearing on radio shows about "pad-gate" while Dez's responses are "I'm here to compete and try to win a super bowl". Who seems more focused about the game? Why is that going un-noticed?

Similar Threads

  1. Pads!
    By packa7x in forum NFL
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 07:50 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 08:50 AM
  3. NFP News - LeGarrette Blount prepared to carry the load after layoff
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM
  4. Rookie quarterbacks
    By Colts01 in forum Turk Schonert
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
  5. Do you carry the pads?
    By walzav31 in forum Cris Collinsworth
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 03:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •