Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Packer Forum; Making up for lost time.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    I agree totally, Ripp. The rule change on kickoffs is huge, it hasn't sunk in yet, Devalues the kick returner. Crosby's no.s are also pretty consitent in the bad weather.
    I'm thinking Sherrod will be LG. Just a hunch, they wanted Bulaga on the left side, but when Tausch broke down they had to move him. Now you kinda like him there so develop Sherrod to move one spot over when Chad is done.
    Don't think Sherrod will play LG. I'm pretty sure I read that he is a terrible G.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    The Mason Crosby signing is getting mixed responses in Green Bay. I like it. Yes he's a career 78% FG guy, but with the new rules regarding kickoffs from the 35 now, this alone eliminates the Bears greatest strength against the Packers (kick return game). A lot of teams had to employ 2 kickers (1 for FG, 1 for kickoffs). With Crosby, ALL Green Bay opponents will be starting their offensive drives on the 20 yd line. And it's not like Crosby is missing his FGs by a lot, check the tape, they are all no more than 3-4 feet off, if they aren't banging off the posts. He's close to becoming a really efficient kicker IMO.
    Except kicks will go to the 25 yard line and not the 20. That's actually a pretty big difference.

Regardless, it still takes away one of the Bears bigger advantages, though they still have punt returns. I expect our special teams to be much improved this season too, for two reasons: 1) There's really nowhere to go but up, and 2) I expect a lot fewer injuries causing us to rob our special teams in order to fill specialized spots.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Don't think Sherrod will play LG. I'm pretty sure I read that he is a terrible G.
    He played tackle three years in college. Read some scouting reports and the consensus is he may lack the athleticism to play left tackle in the NFL, and may have to go to the right side to start. However, he lacks the power to be a top prospect on the right side. The truth is Sherrod went in round one because it was a weak draft for tackles. Some scouts think his lack of power may cause him to have to kick inside. He's never played guard in college, he would be a project. His advantage over Bulaga going to the left side is longer arms. He will need to add weight and strength at any position to stick in the NFL. I think there's a chance to end up at LG because if College is gone (which may be announced later today, two more cuts are coming) and Chad is feeling like he did end of last year, you could plug him in and keep the rest of the line where they are. However,somebody like Nick McDonald may have other ideas. Look for Scotty Wells to get challenged again this year (he just keeps beating them back). I think College and Spitz will get cut today in addition to Barnett and Harrell.

Just to update on the Packers happenings, Darryn College signed with the Cardinals and news just broke that Brandon Jackson is now with the Browns. Best of luck to both of those guys.

Blog Entries
    Chillar cut. Kind of a surprise. He was supposed to be their best inside backer in pass coverage, but I guess they proved to themselves AJ and Dez Bishop could get it done. Who's backing them up? DJ Williams and Ricky Elmore?

Blog Entries
    Both Manning and Davis are gone...and I doubt Hester will be doing it alone, and Knox shouldn't be only because he's too good of a WR, so it should be interesting, rules changes or not here in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Except kicks will go to the 25 yard line and not the 20. That's actually a pretty big difference.

Regardless, it still takes away one of the Bears bigger advantages, though they still have punt returns. I expect our special teams to be much improved this season too, for two reasons: 1) There's really nowhere to go but up, and 2) I expect a lot fewer injuries causing us to rob our special teams in order to fill specialized spots.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    He only had 2 TBs last season. That will go up, surely but he's not like David Beuhler on kickoffs.
    The special teams coach said that their priority on kickoffs was hang time. He said this year, they don't have to worr about it and just let him kick it as far as he can.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    Chillar cut. Kind of a surprise. He was supposed to be their best inside backer in pass coverage, but I guess they proved to themselves AJ and Dez Bishop could get it done. Who's backing them up? DJ Williams and Ricky Elmore?
    I think it's that hammy injury. Apparently it was very severe. Kinda disappointed, I liked Chilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    The special teams coach said that their priority on kickoffs was hang time. He said this year, they don't have to worr about it and just let him kick it as far as he can.
    Ah, excellent

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Just to update on the Packers happenings, Darryn College signed with the Cardinals and news just broke that Brandon Jackson is now with the Browns. Best of luck to both of those guys.
    Colledge was kinda an ass. I have no real sadness seeing him go. I do wish for the best for B-Jack. I felt he gave it his all every play even if his all wasn't always good enough. Very talented pass catcher as well. Cleveland is a good fit for him.