Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Packer Forum; Making up for lost time.

Blog Entries

Packer Forum; Making up for lost time.

Football is about to resume. Players will be rolling in to facilities in the next few days. I suspect there are right now, just as there has been in other years, players anxiously peering across the street at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, waiting to get the word the doors are open. It's about time, but if it ushers in ten years of uninterrupted football it will have been well worth it.
    By now we all would have been posting for months about the otas and minicamps, this guy or that, who might make it, who's gonna bust. We have to make up for lost time. There's a cadre of insightful Packer fans here, so it might be fun to break down the various position groups and see who might end up making the very deep and talented roster of the World Champion Green Bay Packers.
    I'll start it with the running backs, and maybe one of you would like to break down linebackers, receivers, etc.
    First the Tailbacks;
    Ryan Grant - coming off ankle surgery (microfracture, I believe) it remains to be seen if the year off benefited his body or will he lose his burst. Some have already written him off. Around 5 mil. in salary, maybe the only guy to hold TT over a barrel during his tenure. Does that come back to bite him? If Grant starts slow and somebody wins his spot, he'll get cut.
    James Starks - the guy who might make Ryan Grant that guy who was great in '07. He's a lot the same kind of runner, and he showed he could protect and secure the ball in the playoffs as much as anything. But...can he ever play 16 games of football? The jury is out, and not Casey Anthony out either. Starks injury history is long.
    Brandon Jackson - proved last year he's a good third down back, great in the screen game, pick up the blitz, but that's it. Nobody is giving Jackson every down money if they look at last year's tape. I think he stays, especially if Grant isn't around. That creates room under the cap to keep him happy. He's a veteran presence, excellent team guy. I think Green Bay would like to keep him.
    Alex Green - the rookie from Hawaii. He's a different kind of back from all the others. He racked up huge numbers for June Jones in a wide open attack. Hard to say if it translates to the NFL. He's good at running through holes, but can he run through creases? The subtext is mention of great hands in the pass game. He will need to back that up or it may be Aloha. (Tell me anybody who passes that one up.)
    Fullbacks;
    A familiar trio here, the question being will the Packers keep three fullbacks for a third straight season? I think not.
    John Kuhn - fan favorite, calls of "Ku-u-u-uhn" heard in stadiums all over America last year. Safe bet that his versatility keeps him around.
    Korey Hall - the core special teams guy. On the bubble. Some injury history, but a valued guy. Just hard to say if the roster shapes up with enough room for him just as a special teams guy.
    Quinn Johnson - a battering ram, once he get's going. And I think he is. Going, that is. He'll stick somewhere, but McCarthy uses a lot of formation, he can get some of that blocking from TE's. Quinn is a roster spot waiting to happen, for a kick returner from Kentucky who may take a while to learn enough to contribute elsewhere.

My take on the Packers backfield is I think Mike McCarthy is going to lean on it much more this season. Firstly, he likes to run the ball. And with everybody gearing up to stop Rodgers and the league's deepest receiver corps, the avid self-scouter in McCarthy will be anticipating that. I believe he is going to run the ball early and often, and if it doesn't get done, the depth chart will churn. He's liked continuity at tailback in the past, giving guys a few games to round it out, but this season that may change. When all is said and done, I think Grant will be back to form, and will spend the second half of the season grinding it out in the late going, protecting the lead.

Here's a link; http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...wo-back-attack

Opinions? How about we break it all down and then predict our rosters for the World Champs? (Man that feels good.)
    Last edited by bluestree; 07-25-2011 at 12:48 PM.

James Starks was injured through training camp and several games last season. This year he'll have the benefit of experience from last season AND a full training camp. That should help him improve dramatically. I see no reason why we can't have a 1-2 back field with Grant and Starks, and keep Jackson, who has more value to us than anyone else anyway, as a 3rd down, blocking back.

I think Kuhn will stay and maybe Q. Johnson, whose blocking ability increased last season, but Hall will be gone. Johnson I'm 50/50 on, as Kuhn can do the job also.

I still think we come out slinging the ball, but we'll definitely be a more balanced offense this season. You just don't keep one of the best passers in the game and not utilize him.

Grant and Starks make a nice One-Two punch, but it's hell for fantasy owners!
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

I think the backfield will be Grant, Starks, Green, Kuhn, and Hall. Quinn Johnson needs to go. He's a bruiser, but he's not very good. Kuhn can play HB and Hall is a ST stud, both have extra value.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    The trend around the league is to go with the two headed backfield rather than feed one guy. Mike McCarthy has always given the carries to one guy. Do you think this season he changes his style? Grant is on record as saying he needs his carries to get rhythm. If MM should decide to not follow the trend of splitting carries, I still think Grant could become a casualty. Unless he shows a clear superiority to Starks, 5 mil. might be more than Ted wants to spend.

I'm not sold on Starks yet. He was hit or miss. Kind of a poor man's AP. 1 yard 1 yard 2 yards 11 yards. I can't trust the Packers with him as the starting back until his vision gets better. With the zone scheme, he needs to cut and go, I don't think he's got it yet.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Starks didn't play for 2 years so his vision will be alot better, esp. with a full training camp. I tell you what, I like Alex Green ALOT. Say what you will about his production at a small Div I school, this guy has the "it" factor as far as intangibles go. He sort of reminds me of Greg Jennings coming out of school...unknown but if you knew of his background, you could tell he wasn't going to fail in the effort department. Same with Alex Green. If he fails, it won't be because he didn't work hard.

Who plays starting LG? My money is on TJ Lang. I would keep BBulaga at starting RT for the rest of his soon to be pro-bowl career. This Derrick Sherrod looks like he'll be a premier pass blocker over on the left side, at least his measurables are better than Bulaga (feet, arm length, etc.). I think Sherrod is a better prospect than the Colts tackle Constanza and the Bears prospect Camrini. Those other two are going to be guards IMO.

Nick Barnett has been cut. Not a surprise:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-nick-barnett/

Blog Entries
    idk if anyone will get my reference, but I feel like Dennis in It's Always Sunny when he is flustered and just starts screaming IDIOTS IDIOTS IDIOTS all high-pitched haha...I'm such a hater
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions