Thread: Will David Garrard be the QB when/if the Jags turn it around or is it time to rebuild

Will David Garrard be the QB when/if the Jags turn it around or is it time to rebuild

David Garrad came took over for Byron Leftwich a few years back and lit it up, why has he not been able to sustain it...I realize that the Jags don't have much on offense besides MJD but how much of the blame should be placed on Garrard?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

2. The plan, apparently, is to draft the QB of the future this coming draft (assuming there is a labor deal and a draft). It is better to plug a young QB in behind a solid OL and give them a serviceable defense (at least) and GM Gene Smith is rebuilding the team accordingly. Garrard likely gets one more season after this one, and by that time the OL will be significantly better, the skill positions (WR, RB, TE) will all be in their prime years, and the defense should be on the upswing as well. As for Garrard's performance, there are a number of things you could point to that might help explain David's less than stellar, albeit far from terrible, performance.

The WRs that Garrard had in '08 included Reggie Williams (out of league now), Jerry Porter (out of league now), and Matt Jones (trying to make roster in Cincy). Last year he had 2 rookie OTs, and questionable interior blocking, and the OL in general has been weak the last few seasons due to injuries and the associated recovery time. To help with the blocking Marcedes Lews was kept in to assist with pass blocking a fair amount because the OTs needed TE help to deal with the edge rushers, which there happen to be a lot of in the division. It's also why Kyle Brady (primarily a blocking TE) kept his job so long. Anyway, the combination of lackluster pass blocking, bad or really young WRs, and fewer targets due to adjustments to blocking schemes means that the offense that the Jags have been running has been pretty limited in terms of its potential, largely due to Shack Harris' drafts.

Garrard is a serviceable starting QB and brings stability to the position, which had been lacking sorely for years. He'll do a solid if not spectacular job again this year, and most of if not all the next. Gene Smith knows what he's doing and he knows the value that Garrard presents to the team. He won't dump him until he's sure he's got someone better lined up to step right in.

Thanx for the reply BisonPride I'm really hoping for the best with Garrard, u hit it dead on when you say he has had so many limitations because he has had almost nothing to work with...I really hope they can find a passing game this year and find a way to score some points
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."