Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Addition by subtraction

As Mr. C says, ignore the pres-season.

But holy crap, the Redskins have issues at QB.

Rex just has to play it safe. He has a good D, and a group of quality running backs. They'll do fine as long as he doesn't turn the ball over too much.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Watched the Skins play the Colts.

Beck looked decent.

You ever play golf? Some guys have a nice, rhythmic swing. Other guys do everything really fast. Beck is one of those fast guys. It makes him look nervous and unsettled in the pocket. But he was mostly accurate. Big arm. Not a lot of touch. He looks like an acceptable runner in the bootleg rollouts that Shanahan loves so much.

The coaches did their best to protect him. Not a single throw down the field. Everything short and medium. Lots of bootlegs. Not a single throw into the end zone, not even when they were inside the 20.

So clearly, the coaches don't have complete confidence in Beck.

But he's got to be better than Grossman. I saw too much of Grossman in Chicago. I know what he's about. And just in case I'd forgotten, he reminded me in the 4th quarter. He threw a ball right to a linebacker who was one of 3 people covering a receiver 10 yards downfield. Just an awful throw, typical Grossman inexplicable interception.

Could be a long season. Sure hope Beck can read defenses.

It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.

Beck looked a lot calmer in his second outing. Happy feet were gone and overall demeanor was much more in control. He was reasonably sharp and even had a nice downfield throw. Against the backups in the 3rd Q he drove 97 yards for a TD.

Grossman looked a bit sloppy but had a really nice drive under pressure, completing a series of passes over the middle into coverage. He played well. Problem is, unlike Beck, Grossman is a know quantity. At some point he's going to throw a dreadful pick or three that makes no sense.

The first team defense was reasonably strong. Rookie #1 Ryan Kerrigan looks like he belongs. They left him out there on every down.

The offensive line is a still the team's biggest weakness, perhaps a bigger question mark than the QB. Using the Denver cut-back style, Hightower looks good and they might be able to rush a little. But pass protection was overwhelmed at times by Baltimore's blitzing. Could be they'll need 2 QB's if they don't improve protection.

Still, an encouraging first ha;f against a tough opponent.

Oh, and even Gruden was moved to comment on the new sense of team spirit.

Tim Hightower can be a contributor but if Skins fans think he will be a feature back and a game changer then they're mistaken. He has ball security issues (10 fumbles the past 2 seasons), lacks power, and is not a great runner between the tackles. There are reasons why he was on a timeshare in Arizona.

Fumbling's bad, no question about it. The other two issues aren't such a big deal in a cut-back running game.

Word is Rex Grossman gets the start. I'm surprised. he definitely had his moments in the pre-season. But the Redskins will have zero margin for error this season. And the one thing you can guarantee is that Grossman will toss a stupid pick. He has a long track record in the NFL and I don't see that he's changed.

I suspect that whoever starts the first game at QB may not be the same guy who's playing at the end of the season.

“The one thing that’s been nice is this environment, this coaching staff, the players — I mean, it’s the best I’ve ever seen in my career,” Chris Cooley said. “It reminds me almost of like a high school locker room — guys are playing for each other.

“And I haven’t seen that since high school. To see a bunch of guys excited to be around each other every day that play for each other.”

I said it before, this is a weak year for the NFC East. Giants are beat up and not great if healthy. Cowboys played well this week, but have major issues at DB and OL. Eagles look to run away with it, but I still think there's a good chance they'll crash and burn at some point, especially if Vick gets banged up and starts throwing the ball to the other team. I'm not saying the Redskins will win the division, I would be really shocked if they did, but they should be competitive and 2nd place isn't out of the question.