Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The lasting legacy of Manning's Contract

1. The lasting legacy of Manning's Contract

I don't profess to be an expert in NFL contracts, but I've wondered for the last 7 years or so, how much is enough? Carson Palmer recently threatened to retire if he was not traded, and came right out and said he had $80,000,000.00 (that's a lot of 0's) in the bank. Now, the last time you were asked to name the top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL, did Carson Palmer immediately jump into your mind? We'll get back to Carson later, because this really is about Peyton Manning.

I don't know him, never interviewed him, but I've been around the "aura" of Manning for years. The Colts used to train in my home town, and I've spent my share of hours around the team. And you would think that the only thing left for Manning to do is win more super bowls. Now, maybe he has the intention of leaving a lasting legacy of this current lawsuit to all future players, that I can see. When you are 65 years old and being interviewed for sportscenter on ESPN36000 ... it would be nice to say you changed the game on the field and off the field. If so, my hat's off to you Mr. Manning.

But when the courts are done and the votes are in and the caps are decided and the contracts are ready to be signed, I would hope Manning would stop just one second and ask, "How much is enough?" I've sat here and reported on countless players over the years who have cried and whined about their contracts, demanding trades or new contracts simply because they want to be the highest paid player at their position. Now, some players who have cried and whined deserved new deals ... it's the ones who only care about $$$ are the ones who I hate. Ego and $$$.

Now, I just don't see Manning as that kind of person. Indeed, I could be wrong ... but no matter what he signs for ... in just a few seasons someone will blow his contract out of the water. So for a few minutes, he can say he's the highest paid player in NFL history. I don't buy it. What I do buy is that Manning should not want to start drawing his retirement pay knowing that Tom Brady has more Super Bowl rings that he has. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. These names are always going to be linked together. Back a few years ago, if memory serves me right, Manning was making about $17 Mil and Brady $10 Mil. If I'm a GM, I think I can make good use of that $7,000,000.00 (those damn 0's again). You can buy a lot good starters and even more quality back-ups with that amount of money. And New England did. And New England won. And Tom Brady has more rings than Peyton. And that statement will follow Peyton Manning the rest of his life.

Which brings me back to Carson Palmer and his $80.000.000.00 If Peyton has the highest "Q" rating in sports, does the most commercials, has the most endorsement contracts, and has been in the league a little longer than Palmer, and at one time had the first or second highest contract in the NFL ...How much money does Manning have in the bank and how much more does he need?

How much is enough, Mr. Manning?

It's easy to say that there's such a thing as enough money, but the vast majority of us will never know. I certainly would like to find out someday, but that's not gonna happen unless I win the lottery or ... can't think of anything, the lottery is pretty much my only option. Peyton will make more money on his next contract than he will in any other 5-7 period in his entire life. When he's 55 years old and making a million or two a year, would he regret leaving 5, 10 or 15 million on the table? Probably not. There are only so many condor egg omelets you can eat and diamond encrusted, gold plated cars you can drive, but it has to at least cross his mind.

I don't know Peyton personally either, but he certainly comes across as a guy with a good head on his shoulders and he always says the right thing. He has marketed himself perfectly, and not guerrilla marketing. He knows that there's more money to be made in the long run by playing nice than by grabbing every dollar today. But don't overlook ego. I think it's safe to say that every professional athlete has a healthy ego. You don't reach that level without being ultra-competitive and that comes with an ego. Peyton plays the aw shucks bumpkin in his commercials, but watching him on the field you know he's competitive. Will that carry over to the highest paid player competition?

Interesting timing. PFT is now running a story with Peyton saying he's willing to take less than Colts offer. Encourages them to be creative and spread the $$$ around so they keep necessary players.

Just saying' ...

... and we'll see!

Also, nice first post Mr. Cooker.
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Tremendous first post.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

[B][I]"You tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is never try."- Homer Simpson[/I][/B]

Blog Entries
    Contract announced today: 5 years/$90M - same as Tom Brady's current deal.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Contract announced today: 5 years/$90M - same as Tom Brady's current deal.
    Take him through 2015. Considering his neck history as of late and everything, this is most likely his last contract with the team unless he goes Favre on everyone. He got paid but not so much that he left the Colts 2 strapped against the cap. It should be interesting to see how this contract plays out cause at what point in this contract do you get his successor.He's been such a big part of this team that at some point they have to plan for without him. I mean look at the Dolphins, they still haven't really recovered since Dan left.
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

Front-loaded, too, with $69M coming in the first 3 yrs. So much for taking one for the team, eh?
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Manning gets 23 million per year during the realistic part of his contract (last two years have a snowball's chance in hell) while Brady gets 18 million per. And this is being spun - not just by the Colts but by NFL reporters - as a huge sacrifice by Manning.

I wanted to choke Albert Breer through twitter today (and I really like Breer). Twitter needs a "choke annoyance" button.

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    Manning gets 23 million per year during the realistic part of his contract (last two years have a snowball's chance in hell) while Brady gets 18 million per. And this is being spun - not just by the Colts but by NFL reporters - as a huge sacrifice by Manning.

I wanted to choke Albert Breer through twitter today (and I really like Breer). Twitter needs a "choke annoyance" button.
    Again reporters taking the easy way and saying what an agent, or PR person wants instead of the actual "truth". makes me want ot bang my head on my keyboard....
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"