Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: The lasting legacy of Manning's Contract

  1. #11
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Seems like West Coast for Now
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post
    Again reporters taking the easy way and saying what an agent, or PR person wants instead of the actual "truth". makes me want ot bang my head on my keyboard....
    Not sure how much that is the them just spotting the numbers but the nature of instantaneous media today where your report something first and then fill in the proper details later.
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion

  2. #12
    This is a first, I've never heard of a team, player and agent all conspiring to create a contract that appears to be smaller than it actually is. Peter King is saying it was written that way so they can renegotiate after 3 years (Peyton will be 38) when the new TV deals are signed and there's more money.

  3. #13
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaderM View Post
    Not sure how much that is the them just spotting the numbers but the nature of instantaneous media today where your report something first and then fill in the proper details later.
    And yet, the details will never be filled in. Anytime it is mentioned it is "5 yrs, $90 million, same as Brady." Yet we know becasue they give a 10- second throw away line of "$69 million in the 1st 3 years" and poo-poo that away, buried into their report, to never be mentioned again. We just get hte line "$18 mil/year, same as Brady"
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

  4. #14
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    This is a first, I've never heard of a team, player and agent all conspiring to create a contract that appears to be smaller than it actually is. Peter King is saying it was written that way so they can renegotiate after 3 years (Peyton will be 38) when the new TV deals are signed and there's more money.
    All these multi-year contracts with enormous and unrealistic cap number final years are the exact same conspiracy with a number that is smaller then they appear, the difference is this has a specific reason of renogatiating after 3 of 5 years (the tv deal), vs. an agreed upon "you live up to the contract, we rengotiate", or "if you don't live up to teh contract, you get cut". The contract numbers are typically smaller then what they actually are written as.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

  5. #15
       
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    3,565
    Blog Entries
    33
    Jordan was paid less than Pippen. Nobody in their right mind would say Mr. Jordan had a small ego.

    Been the highest paid player or been the greatest winner? All true GOATs know the answer to that question.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post
    All these multi-year contracts with enormous and unrealistic cap number final years are the exact same conspiracy with a number that is smaller then they appear, the difference is this has a specific reason of renogatiating after 3 of 5 years (the tv deal), vs. an agreed upon "you live up to the contract, we rengotiate", or "if you don't live up to teh contract, you get cut". The contract numbers are typically smaller then what they actually are written as.
    I disagree. The vast majority of contracts are written to be larger than they appear. Backloaded contracts that will never be finished with ridiculous incentives that can never be met. The agents love to state that their client signed a 6-year, 800 billion dollar deal, when in reality it's 3 years, $8M. I've used this example before but it's worth repeating, D'Brickashaw Ferguson's last contract included a bonus if he blocked 7 punts a year. This bonus was originally reported as part of the 6-year, $60M deal. Why? So the agent could say it was a $60M deal. Manning's contract is the opposite, it includes 2 years at the end that, it is assumed, will be negotiated away specifically to make it seem like he's not the highest paid player in the game, when in reality he is.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    Interesting timing. PFT is now running a story with Peyton saying he's willing to take less than Colts offer. Encourages them to be creative and spread the $$$ around so they keep necessary players.

    Just saying' ...

    ... and we'll see!

    Also, nice first post Mr. Cooker.
    Is there any doubt that Manning means more to the Colts than Brady does the Patriots? When Tom was lost for the year, the Pats still went 11-5. If Manning is lost like that, the Colts go 2-14 at best. Manning "deserves" more than Brady because the Pats don't rely on Brady in the same way. Do I care if it's reported as the "same contract as Brady"? No, because perception counts in a media driven world.

  8. #18
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripperlicious View Post
    Is there any doubt that Manning means more to the Colts than Brady does the Patriots? When Tom was lost for the year, the Pats still went 11-5. If Manning is lost like that, the Colts go 2-14 at best. Manning "deserves" more than Brady because the Pats don't rely on Brady in the same way. Do I care if it's reported as the "same contract as Brady"? No, because perception counts in a media driven world.
    You'll get no argument from me regarding Manning's worth to the Colts. I have long maintained (even publicly) that MVP should go to him every year cuz w/o him Colts suck. That said, if Colts want to mortgage to the moon to retain him, no skin off my capitalist's nose.

    But you gotta admit, he is a bit of a marketing whore.
    NFL = National Football Liars

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by brauneyz View Post
    But you gotta admit, he is a bit of a marketing whore.
    Which makes Brady?
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

  10. #20
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
    Which makes Brady?
    Brady does very little marketing. I do not know the financial arrangement he may have made with Giselle.
    NFL = National Football Liars

Similar Threads

  1. The next Rodgers contract
    By edave in forum Packers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM
  2. Does Eli's last name help or hurt his legacy?
    By Dave Lapham in forum NFL
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 06:12 AM
  3. NFP News - Manning contract has out clause for Colts
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
  4. NFP News - Archie Manning on Peyton Manning: 'He's not where he wants to be'
    By Administrator in forum National Football Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 10:12 PM
  5. What Will Donovan McNabb's Legacy Be?
    By HiloVulcan in forum Redskins
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •